Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Senior User

boomer08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil change on 2011

Has anyone changed the oil on their 2011 F-150. From the looks of things every thing is covered up underneath the truck. I took the cover off that protects the oil pan but how in the heck do you get to the oil filter. I might just take it in for the first one and see exactly what they take off to get to everything.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior User

cdmm151 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know about the Ecoboost but the filter on the 5.0 is accessible from underneath the front of the truck. I don't have to pull the skid plate off.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Posting Guru

svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.svt2205 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm guessing here because I've not yet looked under a EB powered truck. If your truck has skid plates, you do not have to remove them to access the oil filter. The filter is positioned directly above the front cross member and has a drain tray directly under it. If the EB is like my 5.0, you need a large drain tray because Ford gave you 2 places where oil will pour/drip from. One is the one you can see in front of the oil filter the other is located about a foot back. If you have skid plates, this is where there is a rectangular or square opening. This is the location where most of the oil comes out of. And if your EB is like my 5.0, it is really tough to wipe up the oil after you install the new filter. Some genius who does not do their own maintenance designed this set up.

Since we no longer have belt driven fans, you should be able to access the filter from above, if you can reach around the air intake plumbing.

Please post and let us know if the factory filter is on loose. Mine was. If your EB uses the FL-500S filter or another new filter. You'll need to either buy it online or at the dealer. Walmart doesn't carry these new one's yet.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Elder User

ArtsBest is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since we no longer have belt driven fans.

Excuse me for asking but HOW are the fans driven now if there are no belts???
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Whachuwant?

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsBest View Post
Since we no longer have belt driven fans.

Excuse me for asking but HOW are the fans driven now if there are no belts???
Electric motors.
E-fans are said to reduce the amount of pull on the engine, thus being more efficient in the regards of fuel used.
Also the same reason that the 5.0 and EB have gone to Electric Power Steering instead of hydraulic like in years past.
I little less drag/pull on the engine here and there does begin to add up. Could mean 1-2mpg at then end of the day.
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Postmaster

juneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud ofjuneau76 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Electric motors.
E-fans are said to reduce the amount of pull on the engine, thus being more efficient in the regards of fuel used.
Also the same reason that the 5.0 and EB have gone to Electric Power Steering instead of hydraulic like in years past.
I little less drag/pull on the engine here and there does begin to add up. Could mean 1-2mpg at then end of the day.
And this also allows them to run for a short time after the vehicle is shut off if the engine still needs to be cooled down.

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Old 03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Senior User

F TOO FITTY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2205 View Post
Please post and let us know if the factory filter is on loose. Mine was.
I tried to change oil in my 09 the first time. Broke a filter wrench trying to get it off. Since I had already pulled the drain plug, this was a big pain in the butt. So I'm curious how the 2011's are sent out the door.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Senior User

cdmm151 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2011 was barely hand tight. Goes to show it doesn't have to cranked down to not leak.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Junior User

Fasttimez is starting off with a positive reputation.
I found it easier to lean over the front of the truck (with the hood open obviously) and use the filter wrench to loosen the filter from up top, then spin it off by hand from underneath. I'm 6'3" so I have the length to reach it from up top. There's plenty of room since there's no belt driven fan.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150

Tags
2011, 4x4, 50, 50l, access, change, changing, diesel, expedition, f150, filter, ford, oil, specifications, weight