Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front rotors for 95 4x4 manual locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 01:57 AM
dfixit1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Front rotors for 95 4x4 manual locking hubs

A question for those in the know. While crawling around under the beast the last few days, replacing 2 motor mounts and harmonic balancer. I get a glimpse of the front rotors. Got a couple deeper grooves and may be time to change out the pads and rotors. My truck has the manual locking hubs for 4 wheeling. When I go shopping on line I see rotors that look like they slide over the hub. So before I start removing and tearing into. Does anyone know if all this year 4x4's with my style manual locking hubs use that "standard" rotor or will I have to get the whole shebang that includes taking off the hubs. It's not that I'm lazy,, but just spent so much time lately fixing and replacing this that and the other, I just want to get the parts I'll need before getting started. Thanks in advance for any positive input.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:03 AM
OhioFordFarm
Mountain Pass
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
95 What? half ton, three quarter, One ton?

I am unsure of the half ton of that year as I have not done that job on one. The larger of the truck 3/4 and one ton front rotors are just the rotors. However you will need to take the hubs apart, remove off the spindle, Drive out all the wheel studs to separate the rotor from the center hub assembly. Don't forget to get new rear seals ( I almost always forget them )

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-01-2021, 02:22 AM
dfixit1
Mountain Pass
Wink

Originally Posted by OhioFordFarm
95 What? half ton, three quarter, One ton?

I am unsure of the half ton of that year as I have not done that job on one. The larger of the truck 3/4 and one ton front rotors are just the rotors. However you will need to take the hubs apart, remove off the spindle, Drive out all the wheel studs to separate the rotor from the center hub assembly. Don't forget to get new rear seals ( I almost always forget them )
95 1/2 ton. I did see a video of the whole rotor assembly, hubs, bearings, etc. coming off. When I shop at NAPA on line or O'Rilleys the individual or kit options show rotors way different, more like what one would use on a car that slips over the hub. Guess I'll just have to carry me ole tired **** out and pull the or a wheel to see what I'm dealing with.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:54 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioFordFarm
However you will need to take the hubs apart, remove off the spindle, Drive out all the wheel studs to separate the rotor from the center hub assembly.
You can buy just the rotors which is what I do. There is no reason to replace the hub and more expensive to do it that way. The process is the same as what was described above. If you have 4 wheel ABS, you will also have to R&R the tone ring on the back of the hub so you can remove the wheel studs.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:14 AM
dfixit1
Mountain Pass
Unhappy

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
You can buy just the rotors which is what I do. There is no reason to replace the hub and more expensive to do it that way. The process is the same as what was described above. If you have 4 wheel ABS, you will also have to R&R the tone ring on the back of the hub so you can remove the wheel studs.
After taking a closer look today with the wheel off,, seems the rotor I have is made together with the Hub assembly inside the "snout" portion. pricing average 190.00 ea. before pads and etc. Question can this rotor/hub assembly be turned due to the size with that hub/housing sticking out 6-8 inches , I think there may be a few local shops that still turn rotors, just not sure if mine can be? On the bright side looks like I'll get the oppertunity to check and pack or replace all the bearings. After reviewing a couple videos I have to pull the hub assembly out but can re use it/them,, Just replaced them 2 years ago and very little use.
apparently this is what my hub/rotor will look like after I get it off.

Last edited by dfixit1; 10-02-2021 at 01:17 AM. Reason: extra thought for reply to quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:04 AM
dfixit1
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dfixit1
After taking a closer look today with the wheel off,, seems the rotor I have is made together with the Hub assembly inside the "snout" portion. pricing average 190.00 ea. before pads and etc. Question can this rotor/hub assembly be turned due to the size with that hub/housing sticking out 6-8 inches , I think there may be a few local shops that still turn rotors, just not sure if mine can be? On the bright side looks like I'll get the oppertunity to check and pack or replace all the bearings. After reviewing a couple videos I have to pull the hub assembly out but can re use it/them,, Just replaced them 2 years ago and very little use. https://youtu.be/whgKM2pMM40?t=230 apparently this is what my hub/rotor will look like after I get it off.
On further review,, seems the rotor will come loose from the hub assembly. Sorry about all the B/S on my part. As they say,, watch and learn "dummy"