distributor vacuum trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
fordgarden
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
distributor vacuum trouble

Greetings from Norway

Hi! I have refurbiched the heads on my 400. I have removed the EGR and smogg/air pump, and plugged all vacuum lines.
I have installed a new distributor.
Have a 2 barrel motorcraft id: D7TE CTA a7j12.

question: where do I install the vacuum line from the distr ??
The only vacuum i find now is on the intakemanifold, and on the base of the carb (choke pulloff ) these are constant vacuum!
Dont I need variable vacuum to the distributor ?

I have timed the ignition to 10 degreas advanse. But i eksperience some knocking noises after revving the engine at prox 2500-3000 rpm.
I would think this is due to poure vacuume on the distr ?!?

All answers are welcome :-)

Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
hi there, the port for the distributor is on the passenger side of the carb near the bottom under the choke

Old 03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
fordgarden
New User
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
hi there, the port for the distributor is on the passenger side of the carb near the bottom under the choke
Thanks for answer.
I have tryed that port. same as choke pulloff. But this port has konstant vacuum, not variable when revving ! Isn't the distr suposed to get variable vacuum with more throttle ?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
It is supposed to be ported, is this a fo

Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 AM
fordgarden
New User
If you mean the port under the choke, this port have allways been conekted to the pulloff. I have no other port near the bottom of the carb.
I have a F150 supecab 4x4 79. trailer spesial

Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Choke pulloff should be conneted to manifold vacuum; the carburetor should have a port on the back for this. There should be a port on the passenger side of the carburetor on the bottom for ported vacuum to feed the distributor vacuum advance. If it's pulling vacuum at idle, your idle speed could be very high, or this could be some sort of uncommon carbruetor.

By the way, you should not have removed the EGR system; it's why you're having issues with spark knock. It's unlikely that adjusting the vacuum advance alone will alleviate the issue; you may also have to change the weights in the distributor and change the carbuetor jetting. At the end of the day it's easier just to leave the engine the way it was intended to be set up. An EGR motor is not simply a non-EGR motor with an EGR valve.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
fordgarden
New User
I found the problem. there vas a port in front, under the choke. It was broken off. I replaced the outlett pinn, so now i have the right vacuum.
But i still have the knocking noices when i revv the engine ??
could i be a piston skirt breakoff ?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:33 AM
fordgarden
New User
I have removed the EGR valve from the adapterplate, and sealed the holes with a metall plate. Also plugged the innlett hole on the inntakemanifold. The engine should runn regardless of the EGR ? or is the carb depending on it ?
Wouldnt changing to alu inntake and 4barrel carb work on a EGR engine?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Does the engine knock when you rev it out of gear, or when you're accelerating? If it's the latter, it's because you removed the EGR system, as I said before. EGR motors use leaner carburetion and a steeper timing curve to compensate for the altered combustion chemistry; if you simply remove the EGR valve and void the combustion mixture of inert exhaust gas, the combustion chamber temperatures increase, and you get spark knock.

You can change to a 4-barrel setup; but you still may have to rejet the new carburetor just as you'd need to with the existing one. It also doesn't change the timing curve.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 AM
fordgarden
New User
Hi again.
The knocking is harder under pressure in gear. but i kan also slightly hear it when revving in neutral at aprox 2500-3000 rpm, when the valves are "floating"
changed the dirtributor, but got a dual vacuum instead of a single as a had before. Kould this be a broblem?
I putt the secondary vacuum on the vacuum port on the intakemanifold! vil try to change the vacumm housing on the distr to the old one today.
I sett the timing to 6 degr instead of 10. Got better respons on the engine then.
Do you have a formula for tuning the carb non EGR ??
Or do you only recomend reconekting the EGR

My english is not all that good, hope yoy understand

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
fordgarden
New User
Found the problem i think ! after fiddeling with the ignition today and tuning the carb notthing seemed to work. But then i disconekted the vacuum to the distribuator when revving, the knocking stopped
does it get too much vacuum from the carb then ?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
What you are talking about is spark knock, and what he was telling you is that with the EGR removed the distributor is advancing too much under a load to help with what gases it expects to be in there from the EGR, there is nothing bad about having EGR, if the engine had it you should use it

Last edited by ford_pickup; 03-23-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: MISPELLING
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM
fordgarden
New User
There is no way i can reconekt all the vacuum hoses that were there prior. thrown them away :-(

Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
just to add a little input, I just put a 1979 351M into a 1974 truck that someone had blocked off the EGR valve, it spark knocked like crazy, I replaced the EGR valve, added hoses, and hooked it all up, now no knock and it runs well

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
fordgarden
New User
Ok. do i need to put back the smogg pump, or is it enough to putt on the ERG valve and give it vacuum?

Quick Reply: distributor vacuum trouble