Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Sterling Disks

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
heres how it goes. the f450 comes with a 4x4 tranny, their parking brake bolts to the back of it where your transfer case would go in a 4x4. so, as long as your 2wd you can run that system.
I will second this. The 4x4 tranny thats on my truck came from an F-superduty that had the parking brake. The parking brake is still in my garage if anyone is interested in it. Its a small mechanically operated drum brake that has the same bolt pattern as a transfer case, probably real similar to what BlueOvalBud has in his 65.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tecgod13
I will second this. The 4x4 tranny thats on my truck came from an F-superduty that had the parking brake. The parking brake is still in my garage if anyone is interested in it. Its a small mechanically operated drum brake that has the same bolt pattern as a transfer case, probably real similar to what BlueOvalBud has in his 65.
PM sent about the brake!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 AM
NorthernDiesel
Senior User
So I take it the caddy brakes are cables for parking, I like that, what about the brakets? were they aftermarket too?

Originally Posted by Cruickie
Where abouts in NS are you from?!
North end Halifax, but grew up mostly in the valley, outside of Windsor. Wish I were still there, but the Mining industry is a little safer in hard rock... are you out that way?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Sifting thru my pictures, found these. These pictures are of a 1964 F250 4x4 with an 8' flareside bed with utility boxes added on, 292 Y-Block, T98 wide ratio 4 speed, Divorced Dana 21, Dana 44 low pinion closed knuckle front, and a Dana 60 out back.
I'd like to buy it someday, patch up the rust, and spray bomb it red and white to match the rest of the fleet. Then put it back to work. Maybe do a 6.9/T18 or NP435 wide ratio/NP205/78-79 Dana 60 HP up front/35 spline 60 out back.

ANYWAY, enough hi-jacking...
In regards to the Line-Lok, Mico Lock, or other inline brake system...

Mico sticker, found on the drivers side visor.

I believe this is the lever for the brake lok. So it doesn't seem to be an electric unit...

Again, closer shot

It doesn't replace the factory parking brake, here's the pull lever...(And p.s. real trucks have the key on the left ) The two round rods are pull levers for the snow plow. There's a valve body on the drivers inner fender. One rod controls blade up and down, the other controls angle.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:40 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBud
I believe this is the lever for the brake lok. So it doesn't seem to be an electric unit...

It doesn't replace the factory parking brake, here's the pull lever...
Correct, that is the mico-lok handle. They still make those, and have electric versions as well. The one you have pictured requires running the brake line through the dash to the unit. Electrically controlled versions would be remote located. See here:
Product Overview and Available Literature | MICO, Inc.

(And p.s. real trucks have the key on the left )
I've seen this in someones signature and honestly don't get it. What are the "real" trucks that have keys on the left?
Because one of the "real" trucks I know of, a 50's Dodge Powerwagon, has the ignition key centered in the dash (and a separate starter switch above the gas pedal).

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Correct, that is the mico-lok handle. They still make those, and have electric versions as well. The one you have pictured requires running the brake line through the dash to the unit. Electrically controlled versions would be remote located. See here:
Product Overview and Available Literature | MICO, Inc.

I've seen this in someones signature and honestly don't get it. What are the "real" trucks that have keys on the left?
Because one of the "real" trucks I know of, a 50's Dodge Powerwagon, has the ignition key centered in the dash (and a separate starter switch above the gas pedal).
VERY cool link! Thanks! I e-mailed them a few years ago when I was looking into repairing my Mico system for use in my '65. They said they don't sell parts for field repair, and they would recommend a newer/updated system. I agree, there is much better technology now compared to 1965. Wow, I'm gonna spend some more time on that site tonight....that's sweeeet!

And the comment is just me trying to insert my humor because I love my classic 65's Keys on the left were until 1972 I believe. It's because you turned the key with your left hand while you adjusted the choke cable with your right hand. With our 80's Jeep CJ, we put the manual choke cable on the left to play with, while you crank the key on the column with your right.
My Dad and I are into classis Jeep CJ's, and we looked at a late 40's CJ that had a starter button on the floor above the gas pedal also...very neat stuff. And I think it must have had a key in the dash also...can't remember clearly now.

NorthernDiesel, this write-up mentions using wheel spacers because the rear wheels are sucked in farther...
Ford 10.25 Full Float Axle Rear Disk Brake and Rebuild .: Articles

Another link I found...
10.25 in. Ford Rear Disc Brake Conversion

I'm gonna have to do more research on this, because I'm curious on the weight savings going from drums to discs. This would be sweet in my '65 project. Brute strength, and lighter weight.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
VERY cool link! Thanks! I e-mailed them a few years ago when I was looking into repairing my Mico system for use in my '65. They said they don't sell parts for field repair, and they would recommend a newer/updated system. I agree, there is much better technology now compared to 1965. Wow, I'm gonna spend some more time on that site tonight....that's sweeeet!

And the comment is just me trying to insert my humor because I love my classic 65's Keys on the left were until 1972 I believe. It's because you turned the key with your left hand while you adjusted the choke cable with your right hand. With our 80's Jeep CJ, we put the manual choke cable on the left to play with, while you crank the key on the column with your right.
My Dad and I are into classis Jeep CJ's, and we looked at a late 40's CJ that had a starter button on the floor above the gas pedal also...very neat stuff. And I think it must have had a key in the dash also...can't remember clearly now.

NorthernDiesel, this write-up mentions using wheel spacers because the rear wheels are sucked in farther...
Ford 10.25 Full Float Axle Rear Disk Brake and Rebuild .: Articles

Another link I found...
10.25 in. Ford Rear Disc Brake Conversion

I'm gonna have to do more research on this, because I'm curious on the weight savings going from drums to discs. This would be sweet in my '65 project. Brute strength, and lighter weight.
Ah ok, I get it, just talking about a certain kind of old truck.

The Dodge Powerwagon I was talking about does have an ignition key in the center of the dash. Turning to the right is ignition, and I think turning to the left might be an accessory position? But I don't know if anything is wired to the accessory on the one that I've driven. On either side of it is a pull for the choke, I just can't remember which side. The starter button is actually a rod that pushed a lever on the starter that acted like a modern solenoid would. It pushes the starter gear into contact with the flywheel and I guess internal to the starter closes a set of contacts that the solenoid would do.

I thinks is fricking cool as hell because theres very few people that have a clue on how to start it. The one I drive is at the camp I work at, and the first time I drove it, the Ranger started it then hopped out and sent me on my way. All I saw him do was turn the key on the dash. Took me about 20 minutes to restart it after I stopped, and like 2-3 other people that didn't have a clue either!

The real problem is if you have to start (or stall out) on a hill. Its sometimes hard juggling the clutch, brake, and gas in a normal truck. Generally you can brake with your right foot and feather the gas with your toe until you're moving enough that you don't need the brake. With a starter pedal, its 4 pedals, only 2 feet. You have to brake and clutch with the left foot, while the right foot hits the starter and the gas. Then figure out how to get your left foot off the brake and clutch without rolling back or stalling again. Thats where a good parking brake helps, but on this truck in particular, I don't trust it on a hill, it tends to jam up a bit and is hard to release, plus its way the hell over on the right.

As much of a pain it can be to drive, that Powerwagon in 4-low will go just about damn near anywhere. I also love the sound of the engine and gearbox when going down the road.

Wait what is this thread about? oh yeah brakes.. Rear discs would be cool. The springs on these drums were a bitch to get back on. I think I should check them out, its been a while since I last touched them. The truck was pulling hard to the left last night too, but that might just have been how I was driving it, late to a meeting and a couple fast hard stops probably just overheated something a bit. I think it was better today.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Wow, memories are just floating right now. Man, now that thing sounds like a TRUCK!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
I don't want to keep dragging it off topic... but yes its a TRUCK!

Power Wagon Page Intro

Not a great picture there, but a quick overview, more info if you click home and look around the rest of that site. I'm not a fan of new Dodges, but a '54 PW is where its at. In stock form it sure as hell won't win any races. The one at the camp has a homemade wooden flatbed that we load up to the top of the cab with old army bunks (most covered in plywood since the springs fall apart). I have no idea what that weighs, but its no problem going up some really nasty looking trails to some of the campsites.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Ohh MAN! I admit, I also have a sweet spot for those Power Wagons. Serious drivetrains, that's for sure! One of our neighboring towns has a beautiful PW like that, all fixed up and painted nicely, they bring it down to our fireman's parade each year. And that truck is the primary reason I attend the parade, a thing of beauty!