Modular V10 (6.8l)  

6.8 2v Cold air intake and headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Johnlwlr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.8 2v Cold air intake and headers worth it?

Doing a 6.8 swap and id really weather order everythings at once instead of doing it in pieces. I figured headers would be easyer to install with the engine out of the truck. Does the banks ram air work?.. Later on down the road its getting eltric fans and a tune from 5 star I know with 35s im not going to get the best mpg, but will these atleast give me a mile or two a gallon?? Looken on more of the power increas side of things but any mpg increas would be nice

Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean you're doing a swap? Are you replacing a V10 or putting a V10 in where it wasn't before?

I would definitely put headers on while the engine is out.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Johnlwlr
Junior User
Im swaping from a 5.4

Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
See sig.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnlwlr
Doing a 6.8 swap and id really weather order everythings at once instead of doing it in pieces. I figured headers would be easyer to install with the engine out of the truck. Does the banks ram air work?.. Later on down the road its getting eltric fans and a tune from 5 star I know with 35s im not going to get the best mpg, but will these atleast give me a mile or two a gallon?? Looken on more of the power increas side of things but any mpg increas would be nice
The intake can help some (in the power dept) with the proper tune. Headers are worth it IMO since the stock manifolds on the 2V are horrible. Best bet is a set of long tube headers that replace the stock y-pipe assembly.

As far as mpg you may be able to pick up some improvment with the efan however I havn't tried it. Do not expect to pick up any mpg with the headers, intake, exhaust, tuner and etc.(I have all 4 of them on my truck)

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Ktinos
Junior User
I just recently had headers installed but not yet the air intake (will install Tuesday.). Since I got the headers my driving has gotten more agressive and therefore perhaps lower mpg. Who cares when your having more fun.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Skoda
Elder User

agree with you on headers but if mpg and power is what your after then nothing will beat a custom tune for dollar amount spent. Aswell you may think about installing a vacume guage helps plenty to see how much load the engine is under when your on the go pedal to help with mpg.

you may even think about a re-gearing depending on what you already have.

as for e fans i had problems with enough power to supply them with my audio system with a 2 farad cap, the best solution i came up with is a second batt but didnt seem logical with relocating things under the hood and adding a good 50lbs... thow i can tell you from exprience the motor spins up alot faster

Last edited by Skoda; 03-26-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: commented on e fan
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Ktinos
Junior User
SKODA "agree with you on headers but if mpg and power is what your after then nothing will beat a custom tune for dollar amount spent."

What do you mean by custom tune? 5 Star claims he will do a custom tune for you. Will he do anything more than if you bought the tuner off the net?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Skoda
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ktinos
SKODA "agree with you on headers but if mpg and power is what your after then nothing will beat a custom tune for dollar amount spent."

What do you mean by custom tune? 5 Star claims he will do a custom tune for you. Will he do anything more than if you bought the tuner off the net?
when you place an oder from THE Mike, you gotta fill out a form thats states all your mods and what octane and type of tunes you want along with how aggresive you want the shifts fro example i had 91octane tow tune, performance, and economy.

basicly he adjust everything for you under the tunners options for you so you dont have to, with a few exceptions here and there. You just tell the guy what you want/ expect or were you feel your truck has weak spots, including getting power to the ground.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Johnlwlr
Junior User
as for e fans i had problems with enough power to supply them with my audio system with a 2 farad cap, the best solution i came up with is a second batt but didnt seem logical with relocating things under the hood and adding a good 50lbs... thow i can tell you from exprience the motor spins up alot faster[/quote]

What fan or fan was you useing?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Skoda
Elder User
as for e fans i had problems with enough power to supply them with my audio system with a 2 farad cap, the best solution i came up with is a second batt but didnt seem logical with relocating things under the hood and adding a good 50lbs... thow i can tell you from exprience the motor spins up alot faster
What fan or fan was you useing?[/quote]

i was using dual fans from an iroc camaro i belive there 12" i had one running constantly and the other would kick in at 198 at the rad

Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Ktinos
Junior User
Skoda

What do you mean "You just tell the guy what you want/ expect or were you feel your truck has weak spots, including getting power to the ground". Do you mean he improves weak spots? Power to the ground?
Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Johnlwlr
Junior User
Was you useing a fan shroud?

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Skoda
Elder User
Was you useing a fan shroud?
i tried without a fan shroud for a while it worked but then i had issues with my audio system and the fans going so i made a shroud out of whiterock which kept the off time of the second fan coming on alot more.

dont get me wrong e fans work, hands down.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Skoda
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ktinos
Skoda

What do you mean "You just tell the guy what you want/ expect or were you feel your truck has weak spots, including getting power to the ground". Do you mean he improves weak spots? Power to the ground?
Thanks for all your help!
lets say you feel the shift from 1-2 is soft he can make it "harder" or firmer aswell lets say 3-4 shift is to firm it lugs into 4 so h'ell sofn it up, but this is only if you have a problem, if not, dont mention it.

as for gains they are what they are, the only thing that gets you more or less is your physical setup and condition of your motor along with what octane you'll be using. if memory serves correct he's got all the models of V10 from the early non pi'd all the way to 3 valve, so if theres power to be made you'll get it.

Quick Reply: 6.8 2v Cold air intake and headers worth it?