Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux input for factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobRuss - did your vehicle have the rear DVD and RSE? From my reading of the link you posted, vehicles with rear DVD will already have something plugged into that port.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:34 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
RobRuss - did your vehicle have the rear DVD and RSE? From my reading of the link you posted, vehicles with rear DVD will already have something plugged into that port.
I don't have DVD or RSE, the kit I bought goes between the factory harness and radio and there is a take out (aux output) that I use for my satellite. The vehicles with DVD have RCA connectors that you could plug an ipod or whatever into. I did this in my first Excursion. My second (current one) I installed the harness mentioned above. Does that help?

PS the kit mentioned above turns the CD function into the aux port and the cable for this is in added harness, when I use my sat, the radio displays "DJ" instead of "CD" but CD can function also if needed.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by RobRoss
See post #5 https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...vd-6-disc.html

I had big dreams of adding the jack to either the IP or in the console with an additional 12v port but gave that up quickly due to time. I mounted my satellite module module to the right of the steering column, it was quick and easy. You will need to pull the radio to add the kit I bought but its plug and chug. I also hooked the power to the delayed fuse so the satellite shuts off when the door opens (like the radio when the ign is off). HTH
Which is the delay fuse I forget to turn my satelite reciever off all the time and since my truck sits all week i'm sure the battery will let me down one day!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Fuse #42, 15A. For constant power I just used an unused spade nearby, I think it was for diesel, mine is gas. Or you can tap into the wires at the radio but the schematic is at home.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Fuse #42, 15A. For constant power I just used an unused spade nearby, I think it was for diesel, mine is gas. Or you can tap into the wires at the radio but the schematic is at home.
Thanks RobRoss I got my unit in today and installed it! It works perfectly and the #42 fuse worked just as yu said.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:10 PM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4kidsEx - It looks like you have a Limited Ex, do you have the 6 disk changer up front and RSE? Does it all still work with the adapter installed? On the Neo website and PIE for that matter, they say it won't work with RSE. From what I can tell the PIE unit still plugs in the RSE, but probably only for power. If that is the case I'll have to take apart the RSE and solder into the AUX in and run it to the front. Way more work than I wanted.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:48 AM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by airjeff
4kidsEx - It looks like you have a Limited Ex, do you have the 6 disk changer up front and RSE? Does it all still work with the adapter installed? On the Neo website and PIE for that matter, they say it won't work with RSE. From what I can tell the PIE unit still plugs in the RSE, but probably only for power. If that is the case I'll have to take apart the RSE and solder into the AUX in and run it to the front. Way more work than I wanted.
I dont have a cd changer but I do have the RSE and all I needed to do was put it into the harness. I did have to connect the unit to power and ground. I really like having the Aux input and I didnt want to install a new head unit I was concerned about the interface between all of the junk.
My RSE doesnt play through my factory speakers. (at least I cant figure out how) I dont understand how the Aux input would interfere with the RSE.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
airjeff
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How the heck did you get an '05 Limited without the changer? My RSE plays through the speakers so that aux input would remove my ablility to listen to the RSE through the speakers. From what I can tell these headunits can only have one input, so either RSE or AUX in my case. I guess I'll have to tap into the inputs on the RSE.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by airjeff
How the heck did you get an '05 Limited without the changer? My RSE plays through the speakers so that aux input would remove my ablility to listen to the RSE through the speakers. From what I can tell these headunits can only have one input, so either RSE or AUX in my case. I guess I'll have to tap into the inputs on the RSE.
I dont know I bought it used a few months back. At first I was bummed out because it didnt have a CD changer but after reading a bit I was glad it didnt. My 05 F150 had a CD changer with no Aux input and I couldnt figure out how to add one to it. My Ex has a single CD player with an out dated Cas. player. Perhaps the previous owner ordered it that way or changed it and put the older unit in it. Either way I can add my Ipod to it!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
jeeplj8
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4kidsEx
I dont have a cd changer but I do have the RSE and all I needed to do was put it into the harness. I did have to connect the unit to power and ground. I really like having the Aux input and I didnt want to install a new head unit I was concerned about the interface between all of the junk.
My RSE doesnt play through my factory speakers. (at least I cant figure out how) I dont understand how the Aux input would interfere with the RSE.
Did your RSE play before you added the aux input?

My understanding is that it takes the place of the RSE in non/RSE equipped vehicles (that is what the directions on their website suggest.)

Most likely the original owner swapped out their 6 disc changer to get a cassette player, or it burned up and they installed whatever they could find.

Unfortunately for everyone who has the original 6 disc changer - this option will not work.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
4kidsEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by jeeplj8
Did your RSE play before you added the aux input?

My understanding is that it takes the place of the RSE in non/RSE equipped vehicles (that is what the directions on their website suggest.)

Most likely the original owner swapped out their 6 disc changer to get a cassette player, or it burned up and they installed whatever they could find.

Unfortunately for everyone who has the original 6 disc changer - this option will not work.
I couldnt get the RSE to play out my speakers before I installed the Aux input. The kids use the IR headsets. This is fine with me they listen to their movie while my wife and I listen to what we want.

From what I can tell the Neo Aux system takes the place of an external cd changer (the old type that used to be located in the trunk) and if you have one it will no longer function. When I press the cd button on my head unit the radio display cycles to another channel like a CD changer. Perhaps thats how I could of turned the sound on for the RSE. I had never tried that good thing the kids dont know!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:48 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
a few things I've discovered... I have an 04 limited with the rear dvd and the in dash 6 disc. If you run a 3.5 mini jack to the audio inputs on the rear DVD player, voila, there is your aux input. And to cycle to the sound for the DVD to play over the speakers, you cycle through "mode" until you get to the one that says "dvd/cd" on mine.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Egg-xactly what I did on my 05 way back when...
the $6 3.5 to rca patch cable tucks inside the overhead console and exits the front where it normally wraps around the rearview mirror until I need it to connect to my gps / mp3/ audio book player...

Old 07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
TomFL
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have DVD or RSE, the kit I bought goes between the factory harness and radio and there is a take out (aux output) that I use for my satellite. The vehicles with DVD have RCA connectors that you could plug an ipod or whatever into. I did this in my first Excursion. My second (current one) I installed the harness mentioned above. Does that help?

PS the kit mentioned above turns the CD function into the aux port and the cable for this is in added harness, when I use my sat, the radio displays "DJ" instead of "CD" but CD can function also if needed.
RobRoss, if I read this correctly, I should have a pair of RCA connectors somewhere on the back of my CD changer/RSE-equipped Excursion that I can plug an iPod into?

If that's the case, I would think this would give the best sound quality short of a direct input, no?

Does anyone know of an iPod interface that has the pair of RCA connectors?

Thanks

-T

Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
No, if you don't have RSE like me, you need the kit I mention earlier in this thread. That kit will give you a jack that you can use as a direct input via your cd. That company also sells a kit that will power your iPod. Does that help?

Originally Posted by TomFL
RobRoss, if I read this correctly, I should have a pair of RCA connectors somewhere on the back of my CD changer/RSE-equipped Excursion that I can plug an iPod into?

If that's the case, I would think this would give the best sound quality short of a direct input, no?

Does anyone know of an iPod interface that has the pair of RCA connectors?

Thanks

-T

Quick Reply: Aux input for factory stereo