Autolite 2100/2150, too long in rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
StarFox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autolite 2100/2150, too long in rebuild.

Ok, I'm struggling with this carburetor that sits on my 289 in my '66 Galaxie. It flooded out the vent one day so I rebuilt it. Flooded again through the vent so I then checked the float (should have first time) - it was bad. Replaced it. Struggled with the choke linkage but thought I had it. Had pulled the throttle plates and struggled to get them back in, they fit so tight. I was pretty sure I had them facing the same way, in the same barrel but the shaft seemed short about 4-5 degrees of rotation. The choke linkage didn't quite come together as a result. Spent more time with them...ended up just screwing in a few screws an 1/8 inch deeper to make contact in the choke linkage.
Is there a trick to getting those throttle plates centered?

Upon starting, engine ran as if it was flooding - but not through the vent anymore. Ran so uneven it would not idle. Checked adjustment of float, cleaned - no difference. Pulled it again because the new power valve seemed to be leaking.The new diaphragm looked wrinkled - probably from carb cleaner so I used another from a spare kit. Found a hair in the valve I removed that came off of my cat who was helping me on the bench....Felt good this time, cleaned all the jets again, float bowl, etc.

But now my linkage doesn't seem right on either side. Somehow the linkage from the transmission won't quite reach now...perhaps it all stems from the throttle plate installation.

I need help with the linkage setup as well as the throttle plate installation.
Sigh.
Anyone have good images of the linkage? I don't own a camera myself and the images from my cell phone are not focused in the close-ups.
Been two weeks now and am relying on another for transportation. Appreciate any suggestions or pics. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
StarFox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, found the 'Hurtle.com' website about the 2100 rebuild. I went back through everything. Not sure my choke is adjusted properly but we'll see. Didn't see any weird issues with my rebuild.

Reworked the throttle plates, seems to close better although they were closed before.

Found the problem to the transmission linkage. There was no connector on this carb for the throttle cable, it was wired on. I had used a heavier gauge wire as a replacement which caused it to bind. Temporarily using tie wraps.

Now, something I was planning to forgo was measuring the fuel in the float area. But I decided to try it. Noted that the fuel leaked back, reservoir didn't stay full. So according to Hurtle.com, I can run the carb with the top off. So I tried it to refill it and fuel sprayed everywhere.

So my two questions today are: 1) shouldn't the fuel reservoir stay full and not leak back? and 2) Can you run the carburetor without the top plate, and if so, why is my squirting like Moby Dick?

Thanks.