Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

leak from Injector pump, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leak from Injector pump, need help ASAP

I found a leak where the throttle lever meets the Injector pump, is there a internal o-ring I can replace to fix it? How do I remove that piece? Its the rod that get turned by the throttle cable that runs across the top of the pump. Leak is on the passenger side.

Thanks in advanced.

oh its a 1994 IDI 7.3 turbo motor

Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my truck for about 3 years and have read thousands of posts and never heard of that leak, but that doesn't mean someone else doesn't have experience with it.
I have noticed that the rule of thumb with these IP's is that if it's leaking AT ALL and it wasn't leaking before, it's time to replace the pump.

I had a perfectly working set-up for about a year after purchase and then it started leaking out of some never-touched bolt and as it turns out, no matter how perfect an o-ring I installed or how I tightened it, the leak remained-- the reason being that internally the pump was leaking high pressure fuel past low pressure seals, meaning a rebuild was in my near future. While at the time it made sense to chase the leak and find a "better" o-ring, after a lot of hope and frustration and even orange RTV sealant, I realized that it was time for a new pump.

I hope that's not the case with you, and if not, someone else will chime in.

-Joshua

Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
Thanks, been searching the forums and it looks like two other people had this problem, the typical response is to just replace the pump, and a couple said it can be fixed but tthere is no fact behind those statements. I hope I don't have to replace it, just bought the truck 3 weeks ago =(

Old 03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
beest
New User
I just replace mine about a year ago I think I paid $300 in think that might be the way your going to have to go .Your going to need a special wrench or fab one like I did ..good luck

Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just replaced mine and it's nothing to be scared of. I got my ip from uhaul parts for around $240 and replaced it. You can click on my rebuilt pump in my sig to see them next to each other and the front holes to mount the pump in. And a special wrench is a matter of getting a $15 wrench at sears or something (just one that has the open end curved), I installed mine with a regular one and ground down a old one to make it fit in the small area. The entire job can be done in less that a day if you have a normal set of sockets and wrenches and such.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
^ that sounds like a good deal, did you use one off a e350? did it bolt right in?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Nope, I got my uhaul pump off eBay. I got this exact one for $240, my guess is that they raised the price cause they were going fast, it's still a unbeatable deal.

This one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_722

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
ah yes just saw the one on ebay, that one says its for a non turbo though. is there any difference?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
I've got a banks sidewinder on my truck and the pump runs great. The turbo part #'s are one digit different from the n/a so they are supposedly differently calibrated but not necessary for a turbo truck. Wreckingball has the same turbo as you and he is running a n/a pump if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in my truck (I didn't, lol).

Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rumor has it that the Turbo pump has a slightly different timing curve than the N/A pump. (however there has never been any Stanodyne mechanics chiming-in on that subject that I know of)

I am running a 93 Turbo Pump on my 89 N/A though an haven't noticed a real timing difference, nor have I seen a post with a real drop off in power OR MPG with the same set-up.

The nice thing abou the U-haul pumps, unless I miss my guess, is that even if you get a crappy one, it'll be better than the one leaking fuel all over your valley pan. And since there isn't a core deposit, if somethin goes wrong you can always plug in your leaking-but-working IP back into the system until you get a solid IP.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Uhaul ip's were built by good rebuilders so far so no worries on the quality - Of course time will tell.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
calialx1
Freshman User
Well I've been reading on other threads that you can adjust the output of the pump via an internal screw, so I gues I cand always do that if I'm not getting enough file for my turbo motor. I found a local u haul shop that sells their part so I'm going to swing by Monday and see what they have for me. Guess i better start reading up on how to swap one of these things....

Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Every pump has a internal fuel screw, these pumps come from uhaul turned for a turbo already so you just basically install it and then turn the fuel up depending on how high the egts are.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
I've got a banks sidewinder on my truck and the pump runs great. The turbo part #'s are one digit different from the n/a so they are supposedly differently calibrated but not necessary for a turbo truck. Wreckingball has the same turbo as you and he is running a n/a pump if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in my truck (I didn't, lol).
nope i have the 1993-1994 turbo pump. got mine for even a better deal than they are now by far. Hmmm. guess a few more bucks is still worth it though since they are well into the 400's and 600's even in some places.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 AM
calialx1
Freshman User
Thanks for all the help guys, Hopefully I can find a pump Monday since this is my main work truck.

Quick Reply: leak from Injector pump, need help ASAP