Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2009 Ford Escape.. Rust issues???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM
gecko5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Ford Escape.. Rust issues???

In all my years of owning all various types of vehicles, i have never seen anything like this...

We bought the Escape June 2009 new. Spring 2010, i happened to notice slight "Bubbling" along the lower most part of the inside of the tailgate along the inside seam. It was quite minor and in all fairness never had the time to take it in for a check (We are about 50Miles from dealership).

Fast forward to winter 2010 (Ontario, Canada)... This week, we had some really nice weather so i decided to give the Escape it's first "Personal" wash to get all the nooks and cranny's cleaned out (I have the escape min. once/week during the winter to try and keep is salt/calcium free). I also had the vehicle undercoated this year as well to further keep it from rusting.

Well, the tailgate is exponentially worse and i also now see that both back doors are also showing the same signs along the inside seams of the doors...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Would you consider this a defect?

As all my other vehicles have never shown such aggressive signs of rust, i have never had to call out a dealership on the rust warranty. Before i approach them, i want to get all my notes in order.

I am blown away at how poor the rust protection on this truck is. Also of note is that i see that the black trim that runs vertically between the front and back doors, it too is starting to pit in a few areas....
'

Cheers,

Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Russ250 fx4
New User
I would think that there is NO question about Ford fixing the rust. I know in the past when this has happened, (not to me but to a friend stationed on the Ship with me) Ford took it and replace all of the Doors and sanded down the whole car and redid it. YMMV however. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Russ Abbey

Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Ryanr
Senior User
Hey sounds like you have the same problem we had and have.We live in Windsor Ont and bought our 09 escape new also.And one year from the date we bought it had the tailgate seem re-painted because it was bubbling up and rusting.We aslo purschased the rust control module @ the time we purchased the vehicle and still rusted.The only benefit of the module is that will waranty any rust for seven years.Take it back to the ford dealer you bought it @ and demand it to be repaired.Personally iam hard core ford fan and this 09 escape has had alot of problems.The tranny module which was a recall the glass has been replaced on the drivers side and passenger side windows due to scratches.Anyways goodluck.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
oldblue85
New User
i bought a 2008 with 34000 mi I have the same rust problems. I took it to Ford today they took some pics say they will be in touch. Makes me sick to spend this kind of money to get a pile of rust.Any one else having these problems my escape came from Georgia

Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 Escape with bubbling paint over the rear wheel wells. Garage kept (heated) and well cared for with wax and wash. Only 10k on the odometer and it's rusting from under the paint.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
gecko5, I have a little bit on the underside of the tailgate, just a little to the left of center. It is coming up from under the paint, as the paint is unbroken. Started as a few spots that looked rust colored on white paint. I looked yesterday,turned around facing rearward, and can see that it is at the lip where the outer skin is folded over the tailgate inner sheetmetal. Right now, it is about 4-6 inches where the paint may have barely separated from the metal and one spot about 3/4" upward from the joint where the paint is discolored about the size of a quarter, with spots inside that diameter.
I plan on scraping the paint away where it has been loosened by the rust, applying a rust 'converter' and painting. Maybe remove the inner panel to see if the insides of the tailgate are rusting.
I know I have no warranty, as it's 4 years old, but this is poor quality.
tom

Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
tcesni
Elder User
After reading these posts I went outside and checked my '09 Escape with 85,000 miles on it. I found a bit of corrosion along the crimp at the bottom of the hatch and the same along the rear doors.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Edward Poe
New User
Originally Posted by gecko5
In all my years of owning all various types of vehicles, i have never seen anything like this...

We bought the Escape June 2009 new. Spring 2010, i happened to notice slight "Bubbling" along the lower most part of the inside of the tailgate along the inside seam. It was quite minor and in all fairness never had the time to take it in for a check (We are about 50Miles from dealership).

Fast forward to winter 2010 (Ontario, Canada)... This week, we had some really nice weather so i decided to give the Escape it's first "Personal" wash to get all the nooks and cranny's cleaned out (I have the escape min. once/week during the winter to try and keep is salt/calcium free). I also had the vehicle undercoated this year as well to further keep it from rusting.

Well, the tailgate is exponentially worse and i also now see that both back doors are also showing the same signs along the inside seams of the doors...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Would you consider this a defect?

As all my other vehicles have never shown such aggressive signs of rust, i have never had to call out a dealership on the rust warranty. Before i approach them, i want to get all my notes in order.

I am blown away at how poor the rust protection on this truck is. Also of note is that i see that the black trim that runs vertically between the front and back doors, it too is starting to pit in a few areas....
'

Cheers,
New models come with oil based coat hence prevent the rusting. have you given an oil based coat?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Totoriko
New User
My 2010 Escape has lots of tiny rust spots all around the bottom half car.
Shouldn't the corrosion warranty cover this by the dealer anyway?
Will take it to my dealer today and see

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Totoriko, the warranty from the manufacturer is against 'perforation', which would be a hole in the sheet metal through and through.
Your description is what one would get from small gravel or stones being thrown against the lower panels, chipping the paint, and allowing rust pits to form where the paint is missing. I don't believe that will be covered by warranty, but you're welcome to try, and good luck.
tom

Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM
greenleaf
New User
We have an '06 XLS with the exact same issues as you. The tailgate rust has gotten out of hand. The entire bottom of the tailgate is rusting out along the crimp in the sheet metal. I sanded it all down, treated it with rust reformer, gave it a coat with rust reforming primer, then a top coat with touch up paint. The rust came back 6 months later. I've noticed that the bottoms of the doors have the same issue.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
steven-f
New User
I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid with rust on inside of rear door. Ford dealer has been sympathetic but says Ford rust warranty is for perforation and since there is no hole, no coverage. So I am in a standoff with Ford. They are betting that there won't be any perforation before the five years are up and I am betting there will be perforation. At any rate, this will be my last Ford.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Totoriko
New User
Funny you posted today because I noticed slight rust under the boot door and took it straight to my Ford dealer. They said yeah, it's rust and they'll fix it by sending it to their body workshop. He said it's covered under the warranty.
The rust is like 2 inches long and a quarter of a centimeter wide.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
mblayton
More Turbo
Two words....Chinesse Metal.

The metal may be formed and stamped here but it comes from CHINA

Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Totoriko
New User
Originally Posted by Totoriko
My 2010 Escape has lots of tiny rust spots all around the bottom half car.
Shouldn't the corrosion warranty cover this by the dealer anyway?
Will take it to my dealer today and see
Okay as for this issue, it wasn't rust on the door. They were specks of dust coming from the new brakes that were stuck and rusting. The reason I thought it was the doors rusting was because they seemed impossible to remove. The dealer showed me that they can be removed with a soft cloth and applying a lot of pressure. I did and it worked. My arms were dead after 20 mins.

Quick Reply: 2009 Ford Escape.. Rust issues???