Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2009 Ford Escape.. Rust issues???

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Albertagirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Ford Escape - tailgate rust

Yes, please share if there is a solution to getting Ford to cover rust after the 3 year rust warranty has expired.

I bought my 2009 Ford Escape in Dec 2008. The Ford Escape had a good safety rating compared to other SUVs in its class that I considered and after having a car totalled, with me in it, safety was very important to me. Very disappointed to see rust accumulating on my tailgate (below the liftgate window and next to the chrome panel; also around seems near the liftgate handle) before its even 4 years old. The dealership won't do anything because there is no perforation...yet. I grew up in Windsor and hence am a big supporter of buying North American vehicles. Half my family still works for Chrysler/Ford/GM. I love the Escape for its utility (kayaking, camping, groceries, dogs) and driving on winter roads in Northern Alberta where I've now lived for sometime. Since we don't salt in Northern Alberta due to extreme winter temperatures and use sand instead I'm especially surprised to see rusting. My bf is a bodyman and shocked at the quality given my low mileage (50km) and lack of salt in our region. The rust has probably been developing for a while, but I never looked closely like he did recently.

Wish Ford would have better quality exteriors, warranty programs, etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:20 AM
rossvt
New User
Ford is covering rust on 2012 Escape

I have had some good news from my ford dealer. I had the service dept. send in pictures of the rust on the tail gate and they called me to say ford will fix it under warranty . At least it is a verbal ok. Just waiting for them to tell me when.

Although this my be the dealer standing up to do the right thing by them selfs just to not lose a customer that bought 2 2012's in one day(his & hers)

I will post again when it is fixed.

One question I will ask is , what will be done to stop the rust from starting other places.

f

Last edited by rossvt; 11-10-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM
POMO
New User
Ford Escape 2012

Bought my new Ford Escape in July of 2010. Noticed some surface rust under the car right away but was told that this is only surface rust. This year I noticed pieces of rusted metal on my garage floor where only the Ford Escape is parked. I realized that the rust underneath has become a lot worse so I went back to my Ford dealer. I showed them the pieces of metal and they took in the car to have a look at it. It turns out that the muffler is rusting so bad that there are pieces of metal falling off it. My dealer said that he'll check with Ford Canada if this will be fixed. After a few weeks he told me that Ford Canada is not doing anything about it. Long story short, I'm now in contact wit Ford Canada directly and so far they have been telling me that this is only surface rust???? Anyone else has this problem and any outcome with Ford Canada on this? I've had about 5 new Ford's in my life but never seen anything like this. If Ford Canada does not take care of this issue this will certainly be my last Ford....

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
rossvt
New User
Smile ford fixing rust

Just an update ...
i went to the dealer , Zumbrota Ford last night to get the computer on our '12 focus refashed ( longer story). As I was walking in the parts manger was loading a big box into a van, and as I passed by he said the box was for me .Not knowing wat he was talking about . I told him , I have no parts on order. Then the service manger broke into the conversation and said it was a new talgate for my Escape.

Because it is still under 3 year or 36000 they are replacing the whole tailgate. I about fell over.

I hope this helps others .
not shure what will become of the other parts like doors, but I will be watching it closely.

Last edited by rossvt; 11-13-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
rossvt
New User
P>S> One note I am in minnesota, so i don't know if that makes any difference to others.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
gecko5
Senior User
When i started this post over a year ago, i was under the 3 yr / KM's. At that time, they would have nothing to do with me unless it was a complete perforation (Which it wasnt). Now that i am >3 yrs post purchase, i don't have many options, EVEN with the extended warranty.

I don't think it has anything to do with Minnesota as much it has to do with your dealership. I suspect you are one of the rare fortunate ones. Myself, i have no choice now but to grind the rusting seams down as much as possible, degrease them and coat them with POR15 as best i can so as to avoid the areas really rusting out this coming winter.

I have nothing good to say about Ford because of this and there is little to no chance i will ever buy another.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
rossvt
New User
Thumbs up up date on rusty tailgate

The escape is back with new tail gate. all said looks good except color is of a shade dark . I will address that next week. next is to look inside to see if there is any undercoating to help stop this in future.

I did ask about the doors for future rust , outside the 3 year / 30,000 , the responce was it has to be penatration (hole) before ford will look at it . we will see how that works.

Thats it for now . if any one gets a new escape 2012 or earler get the doors rustproofed to help save them.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 PM
posskat
New User
does there seem to be this same rust problem w/the 2012, 2013?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
rossvt
New User
Originally Posted by posskat
does there seem to be this same rust problem w/the 2012, 2013?
my truck is a 2012 the last year of the boxey platform . I have not looked at the new "oversized focus " yet .

Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Defiant Lion
New User
2001 Escape V6 Rust on roof

Unlike your door & seems, tailgate. The roof I noticed started to blister around 2006 & slowly to present flaking off all over the roof of my 2001 Escape. I addressed the majority of it's blistering & flaking starting in 2012 with a wire brush & wheel followed up by some reformer/converter rustoleum. I've noticed there's no primer under the base coat metallic wedge blue, & there thin *** clear coat, more like most of. So what if people down companies for such one bad product. The they make now a days are exactly what these companies are showing to be pieces of them let others rise & the greedy selfish companies die. following the heard do your own & do it good. It be good to bring back such things as standing behind your product, work out the flaws, instead of having the customer as the test dummies. And most of all making products that will last a lifetime, with easy to change parts yet built like a tank hard to hit, with products like this co. Technics 1200 is a prime example though it's not a car, but a tank & it'll last forever. Unlike the piece of that's only going to end up getting catapulted back in the makers direction. And who you really with for the people or against the people.

Last edited by tseekins; 05-31-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Masking too many curse words. Please post intelligently.