1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New starter, flexplate, and a shim, still problems.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
mbolte
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New starter, flexplate, and a shim, still problems.

Hey all,

I recently put a new starter, flexplate, and helicoiled the holes on my ford. Its a 77 4wd with a C6 from an 82. It wouldn't start after that, getting plenty of power to the starter. So I put a shim on it today and it just spun again.

I rolled the motor over a bit and it cranked and sounded good. The truck hasn't ran in a year tho and it barely fired(starting fluid). I tried cranking it again and it just spun again. So I rolled the motor over a little and it still just spun.

Then I rolled the motor backwards( counter clockwise) and it cranked fine. Died again, then just spun again, I repeated this a few times(going clockwise), even letting the motor run for a good minute before trying this again.

So where can I go with this...is the flexplate on wrong? How would I know there wasn't a pin in the crankshaft and I wasn't paying attention when I took the old one off. Where should I begin with this? thanks guys.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
I would start by watching the starter to flywheel action while a friend is cranking it.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 PM
mbolte
Junior User
What should I be watching for, when the starter and flexplate actually engage it sounds really good, no grinding or nasty noises.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
If you watch it you will learn (in a voice from field of dreams). Just sayin I would SEE what it is doing.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
So , how do you run the motor backwards ?..

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
The starter could be not kicking the ring gear out every time. Test it and see. You could also do this test on the bench.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 PM
mbolte
Junior User
Using a breaker bar and turning the motor counter clock wise rather then clock wise.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
I suspect he is turning the crank with a ratchet or breaker bar. Maybe even using the belt and grab and pull technique

Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 PM
mbolte
Junior User
Originally Posted by Melbatoast
The starter could be not kicking the ring gear out every time. Test it and see. You could also do this test on the bench.

Thanks, I pull it out and check it out, I never thought that this could be the problem rather then flywheel position

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
Don't test it once test it 20 times atleast. And the only way a starter could not hit a brand new flywheel on one side and not the other............(breathe) Is

.1 It is not flush on the crank. (the flywheel)

.2 It got bent. (the flywheel)

.3 The crank is bent. (That would suck)

.4 The starter isn't always engaging the flywheel.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
mbolte
Junior User
Thanks, I'm going to go ahead and hope for #4 LOL. What should I be looking for if I set the starter on my fender well to do a bench test, just make sure the gear kicks out and stays out every time?

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Melbatoast
Senior User
I would put it in a vise. These things can be pretty torquey. And yes as long as you are powering it the ring gear should come out and spin and stay there until you take the power off.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
mbolte
Junior User
Well guys a little update here, and help would be awesome lol!

I bench tested the starter using the wiring straight from the truck and it worked great, so its not a starter/power issue.

I was under there looking and the dust cover/plate between the motor and trans/whatever you call it is slightly bent right on the passenger side of the of the starter, right on the edge of the round part, hoping i described that well enough didn't think to grab a pic (my bad)

Could this bend send my starter in at an angle even when bolted down tight?
There looked like a mark on the flywheel from the starting hitting it instead of engaging the gears.

Let me know what you think, I plan to try and bend it back and throw the shim on to see if I can get lucky next time I'm home.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 AM
agaristo77
Freshman User
its funny no one ever got back to this question. I'm having the same problem with my 83 bronco. same bent cover in the same place. new flexplate and starter, and the damn thing still won't start. i layed underneath and watched as someone turned the key and it appears as though the bendix is just skating across the teeth of the flexplate. used proper torque specs and everything. i wonder if this problem ever got resolved.....without having to sell the vehicle....

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by agaristo77
its funny no one ever got back to this question. I'm having the same problem with my 83 bronco. same bent cover in the same place. new flexplate and starter, and the damn thing still won't start. i layed underneath and watched as someone turned the key and it appears as though the bendix is just skating across the teeth of the flexplate. used proper torque specs and everything. i wonder if this problem ever got resolved.....without having to sell the vehicle....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which engine is in the 83 bronco ? Auto or standard transmission ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New starter, flexplate, and a shim, still problems.