6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

TSB 11-3-23

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB 11-3-23

Dropped off my F350 with a mid Nov build date last night for the following -

5k oil change
DEF Fill
Tire Rotation

CEL on NOX sensor code
Intermittent shifting/stutter issue
Rusted Tow Hook's
Exhaust Smell in cab

Just left the dealership with a loaner. The new flash TSB 11-3-23 came out yesterday but did not get uploaded into the dealerships computers until today. The service dept said this should fix the CEL and shifting issues once and for all.

Interestingly enough I was expecting them to tell me to go pound sand on the tow hooks because I have read here they are not covering this. To the contrary they told me they ordered the hooks and they will call me when they come in.

They gave me loaner because they are not open on weekends and did not have time to do the upgrade or dig into the exhaust issue today. I fully expect these issues to be resolved on Monday.

I am very thankful to have such a great dealership to work with and will let you guys know what I think after I pick my truck up on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a good thing when you have dealer that will work with you...Great news

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM
mr.windows
Junior User
I have an appointment on Mon. also i hope this is the end and i can say i truely do love this truck!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
fixdent
Senior User
I hope this is a good fix. Although my CEL light has gone out.

I have had 4 occasions now (latest one was today) when my truck went into limp mode. I was driving about 25 mph in town....suddenly "beep Beeb" and I look at the display and it say "Reduced Power". I pull over, shut it off and start back up. Everything is normal after that.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

--
Gordon

Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
vrsc
Senior User
I have an H&S mini max in my 2011 6.7 and I started experiencing trans shifting problems! I need this updated PCM flash so what does this mean for me and my tuner? Can I get it or not?
H&S please assist

Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Good question on the tuner issue. Interested in hearing what ford says bout that.

After my tuner in my 2006 resulted in a tow with my 5th wheel trailer attatched, I am so not going there on my 2011.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:04 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry for a dumb question but what is a CEL that I keep seeing mentioned?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F2502011
Sorry for a dumb question but what is a CEL that I keep seeing mentioned?
No dumb question. CEL = check engine light.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 AM
derek witt
Senior User
Thank goodness on this update. Hopefully it will address the trans issues - and for me the inconsistent running attitudes. (sounding like a 6 litre at times and weird pedal reponse) Since the TSB also is for a bunch of EGR issues, I bet thats it.

Fingers crossed.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vrsc
I have an H&S mini max in my 2011 6.7 and I started experiencing trans shifting problems! I need this updated PCM flash so what does this mean for me and my tuner? Can I get it or not?
H&S please assist
Your dilemma is why I have always questioned the use of a tuner on a warranty eligible vehicle. This especially applies to something like the new 6.7. There is so much new technology on this truck that some computer fine tuning was highly probable

The resident Ford engineer made it quite clear that Ford has provided an indestructible path for their ability to detect any outside tuning changes. I guess you will be finding out whether it is a fact. It has been written that the dealerships have been taken out of the play dumb for a good customer game. As soon as the truck is connected to IDS, it will display the programming aberration and flag the VIN. Maybe Cheezit or one of the other helpful Ford tech's will give us their take on this.

I guess if they will not do the reflash under warranty you can always pony up the bucks for the shop time.

Please do not take my missive as a scolding. I had a tuner on my 6.0 and loved the performance. I know about the drug but I had to go into rehab on the 6.7. I hope it goes your way. Please let us know.

Regards

Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
vrsc
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
Your dilemma is why I have always questioned the use of a tuner on a warranty eligible vehicle. This especially applies to something like the new 6.7. There is so much new technology on this truck that some computer fine tuning was highly probable

The resident Ford engineer made it quite clear that Ford has provided an indestructible path for their ability to detect any outside tuning changes. I guess you will be finding out whether it is a fact. It has been written that the dealerships have been taken out of the play dumb for a good customer game. As soon as the truck is connected to IDS, it will display the programming aberration and flag the VIN. Maybe Cheezit or one of the other helpful Ford tech's will give us their take on this.

I guess if they will not do the reflash under warranty you can always pony up the bucks for the shop time.

Please do not take my missive as a scolding. I had a tuner on my 6.0 and loved the performance. I know about the drug but I had to go into rehab on the 6.7. I hope it goes your way. Please let us know.

Regards
none taken. My dealership knows that I have a tuner and were the ones who removed my Egr AND deleted it and installed my pyrometer. They removed my exhaust and all emmision stuff. I will get this update free of charge just as everyone else will. My question was directed to an H&S tech who might be reading this. I know I'll have to remove the tune and return the truck to stock but not sure if the tuner will work completely and correctly if the PCM has been updated.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I will call Monday to make the apt for the update. I'm excited to lose the CEL light on my dash LOL.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
VSRC....

Thought you might find this information from Page 10 of your Owner's Manual:

Vehicle Modification Data Recording

Some aftermarket products may cause severe engine and/or transmission
damage; refer to the What is not covered section in The new vehicle
limited warranty for your vehicle chapter of your vehicle’s Warranty
Guide for more information. Some vehicles are equipped with
Powertrain Control Systems that can detect and store information about
vehicle modifications that, for example, increase horsepower and torque
output; this information cannot be erased and will stay in the system’s
memory even if the modification is removed. When a dealer or repair
facility works on your vehicle, it may be necessary for them to access the
information in the Powertrain Control System. This information will likely
identify if any unauthorized modifications have been made to the system,
which may be used to determine if the warranty has been violated and if
repairs will be covered by warranty.

I too was a power junkie on my 6.0 until it left me stranded. I learned that if I wanted my F-350 to put ouy horsppower and torque like a Kenworth i would have bought a Kenworth I will take delivery of my new ride 1 week from today and while i may put some aftermarket accessories on it - nothing will affect the engine or drivetrain.

You are lucky you have a dealer who will "look the other way" on your update. Most won't.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I messed with my Cummins a bit as well. I'm not messing with jack on this PS. Especially with all the "little" issues it has been having. I need the warranty on this thing.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I know there is an altitude performance issue in some areas but these trucks have more than enough power here in the south.

I can't imagine needing more power, not to mention the F-250 runs out of GVWR/GCVWR long before the engine and powertrain even become stressed.

Quick Reply: TSB 11-3-23