1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

I love my new radiator an electric fan

Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I love this upgrade too! I drove mine for the first time today since the conversion. I never realized how much noise the fixed fan made. I drove a little over 50 miles today, some on the highway some in town. Low speed was all it ever needed and it didn't kick on but a few times and two of those were when I was stopped because of trains. I give this upgrade

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I love the upgrade! I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Congrat's jsutton on your conversion!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutton
I love this upgrade too! I drove mine for the first time today since the conversion. I never realized how much noise the fixed fan made. I drove a little over 50 miles today, some on the highway some in town. Low speed was all it ever needed and it didn't kick on but a few times and two of those were when I was stopped because of trains. I give this upgrade
It's amazing how little the fan runs. Today I had some errands to run (my Ford Taurus was totaled by a drunk), plus took advantage of running over to my favorite junkyard to look for a bedliner.

I set out to drive as much as I could WITHOUT turning the fan on. Since my fans are controlled by toggle this was easy to manipulate.

I drove from my house 18 miles to the FedEx warehouse to drop off and pick up some stuff. No fan needed... 198-201 degrees all the way, mostly highway speeds.

Drove 8 miles to junkyard. Now the temp did spike (heat soak) at Fedex to 212, but cooled right off as I got under speed. Still, no fan.

Was at junkyard around 2 hours perusing the goods. Got a bedliner from a 1991 F250. Started engine, temp was 172 degrees.

Drove home, stopping along the way, but still no fan needed, 199-201 degrees. Remember I have a 195 t-stat.

Hit up a car wash to spray the "new" bedliner, drove the 1/4 mile home.

All in all, NO FAN NEEDED.

If I still had the mechanical fan my truck would have ran hot between FedEx and the junkyard, guaranteed.

And I know driving home the temps would have spiked to 210-215 with the OEM fan.

Goes to show, at least in my case, how restrictive the OEM fixed fan is in allowing air thru the radiator. It must just create a wall of air that prevents any sort of air movement. Which is really bad considering the cinder block wall of a grille the air is being caught by.

I'm not toting or advocating removing the fan altogether, but given highway speeds with mid 60s temps, I didn't need a fan for any reason.

Hope to test again with some stop and go, probably Monday as the weather looks iffy for riding the motorcycle.

Josh

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
akforceten
Elder User
Thumbs up

The new radiator and T-Bird fan are doing great! There only is one downside that I have experienced. While driving at low speeds or around downtown my volt gauge only shows the alt only putting out 12-13 volts. Well today I fixed the problem by converting to a 3G alternator. Now the volts are 14.8-15 volts at low speeds or running down the freeway! Well here's some pic's( I love taking lot's of pictures of thing that I do to my truck) The only problem I have is sometimes I forget to take the pic's(I get to excited doing the upgrade)

This what I'm replacing a chevy 100 amp alternator . Couldn't keep up with the electrical demands

Here's the new / used alternator ! I'm taking the front case loose so I can clock it for the 390 .

Clocking all done . I had to replace the stator cause it tested bad .I took it back for another test this time it passed . As you can see I'm re-tapping the tension adjusting bolt hole to a 3/8 coarse thread bolt, also put the v pulley on had to use a washer for spacing.

I got it in now the fun begins ! It's time for wiring hooray!

I'm finally done wiring it in .It was really simple should have done this from the beginning ! It's time for a test drive and so far everything is working great!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
About a year ago I installed a new heater core. I can now smell coolant when the engine gets to temp. With all the electrical mods I've done, and with a new aluminum cross flow rad., I thought it would be prudent to install a bit of insurance.

I found this anode equipped rad. cap on ebay, and found the co. is right down the street from me, so I drove over and spent $20.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Read if ya care:

Got some stop and go driving done yesterday (Monday) and today.

Had to deliver some furniture I sold on Craigslist across town from work, all stop-n-go with everyone getting off of work, plus school getting out.

Outside temps were in the low 60s, after a while sitting in traffic the temps began to slowly climb above the usual 200 (+/- 2 degrees) so I patiently waited, NO FAN.

As the temps began to creep towards 212, I was tempted, but waited. What I found though, the temps would climb to say 215, but drop as soon as I got on the throttle for green lights and the temps would come down to 202 or so. Then at the next red light slowly climb back up, but after a couple miles of that the temps stopped coming down and creeped toward 220, so I flicked on the LOW SPEED.

Within moments, a straight 198-201 all the way to my destination.

Also, once I was done with errands and got on the higher speed roadways I could turn the fan OFF and still keep the same 198-201 temps.

Josh

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Bullitt390 I did the same thing sort of, I went for a drive and realized the toggle switch was off an she heated up to 240 I turned on the fan on low . In about five minutes she was back to 180

Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run a fan from a 96 tauris v6 with relays,super cooler rad and stock 60 amp alt in my 78 reg cab 502 stroker for years no trouble plus it was worth about a mile per gal fuel savings on the highway and a lot quieter too

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
John in AZ
Senior User
Thanks for the mounting idea. I stole that sucker & it works great! $25 in metal at home depot & some cutting & welding walla one great mounting system!
John
Originally Posted by akforceten
Well my old radiator gave up the ghost! I decided to also put a electric fan in since I was having cooling issues . I got a new aluminum radiator from 1-800 radiators. I also got a 2speed electric fan from a 95 T-bird with plug an some wiring . Now that everything is installed an running the truck runs at 180 degrees all day long . I love the fact the electric fan running on low will suck a piece of paper an hold it there on the front side of the radiator! There is always a breeze in front of the truck! Well here are some pics

Wow I really love this kind of modification it has solved any kind of cooling problem that I was having ! enjoy the pics.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM
scarey1
Senior User
Hi John,what is the total apm draw on the fan on high?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
akforceten
Elder User
Your welcome john . scarey 1 I'm using 40 amp relays with no problems . I have never had to put it on high, low speed is plenty

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Ryank78shortbed
Senior User
Got a question about the tbird fan I hooked it all up 10 gauge wire, 50 amp breaker, thirty amp relay for low haven't messed with the high setting yet, any how wires are getting hot and I'm blowing my fifty amp breaker and the fan motor gets hot! Think I got a bad fan or what else could it be!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess it's possible you got a bad fan, because I'm running a 30 amp fuse, Sable factory relay, and 10 gauge wire on the low side of my fan (Sable 3.8) and haven't had any issues. (knock on wood). But I've never touched the fan motor to know if it gets hot or not either???

On the high side I'm running an 80 amp fusible link, 80 amp continuous duty solenoid, factory SHO relay for switching, and 8 gauge wire for main 12v to the fan.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM
akforceten
Elder User
I'm running two 40 amp relays one for low speed an one for high an that's it. I can report no problems what so ever. Sounds like a bad a fan to me to.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Derfus
Senior User
I have a stupid question: What would be the downside to just running the fan on high all the time? My truck (78 SC 4x4 351m) has a clutch fan along with a shroud and I had to pull the 190 stat out of it since it was getting hot. My water pump is good as is the radiator so that leaves me to think I just need to move more air. Even with the stat out, it still gets a little warmer than I'd like it to when I'm in traffic.

If I put a Mark 8 fan in with a 3g alt and set it to run all the time on high, I could put the stat back in and it would regulate the temp right? It's very hot and humid down here and stop and go traffic is just unavoidable. I rarely pull or haul much so I was thinking this could solve my problem. What do you guys think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I love my new radiator an electric fan