2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Blowing ignition switch fuse

Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Blowing ignition switch fuse

I have a 2004 Lariat 4x4 with a no start condition. I had lights, but it wouldn't crank. I then discovered that it would not shift out of park. Turns out that it had a blown fuse. I did not have any of that type (the funky square 20a fuses) so I pulled the heated seats fuse (30a) and threw it in there, tried to start it and blew it right away. Is there a common short to look for on these? I believe that the guy that owned it before me had a satellite radio in it, and could it be a bare wire from that setup possibly blowing the fuse? Thanks for the help guys! Just trying to get a head start on tracking down the short.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
Alright, the short is not from the old satellite radio wiring. Anyone have a wiring diagram of what is on the ignition switch fuse circuit? Is there a common problem on this circuit? I hate tracking down electrical problems! Thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
russandirene
Junior User
It may be the relay itself.
You may get lucky,I hope so.
Good luck
Russ

Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar condition on an older truck. It turned out a wire was rubbing against a bracket in the engine compartment and was shorting and blowing a fuse which caused the engine to die. I'm not an electronics expert though...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
Anyone looking for a wiring diagram, I found a downloadable PDF file for a 2005 F150 here....https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxB...ut=list&num=50

Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 AM
bearhvs
New User
did you ever find the fix for your no start , we're having the same thing on a 2008 Explorer

Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
Not yet, I'm suspecting that it may be the fusebox. I've seen a couple threads and a TSB that talks about water getting into the fusebox from one of two sources. The AC drain valve, or the third brake light. Apparently water will follow along the wiring back to the fusebox.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by IamToyoftherm
I have a 2004 Lariat 4x4 with a no start condition.
Originally Posted by bearhvs
did you ever find the fix for your no start....
Not yet, I'm suspecting that it may be the fusebox.
So you've had the same no-start issue for over a year and haven't solved it? So your truck is just sitting there?

Stewart

Old 05-14-2012, 06:12 PM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
I have other vehicles. Besides, I'm keeping the miles down on the truck this way!:-)

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I have other vehicles. Besides, I'm keeping the miles down on the truck this way!:-)
Wow! It would drive me nuts not having it fixed!!

Stewart

Old 05-14-2012, 08:24 PM
IamToyoftherm
Junior User
It does drive me nuts, but unfortunately I have to prioritize in my budget. I can only try replacing so many things with the extra money that comes through. Hopefully within the next month or two I'll but a new fusebox.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM
DHHD94
New User
I have the same ignition fuse problem. Continually blows fuse 113, took it to the dealer who replaced the starter and fuse panel, only for the problem to come back a month and a half later. I'm just telling you this because I doubt it is the panel or the starter but I guess it could be on yours. extremely frustrating as I NEED my truck for work. If anyone else has any Ideas they would be GREATLY appreciated

Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
hcbph
Senior User
Shorts

I have traced a few of these issues over the years, not F150's but the same principles.
Torino - turned out to be a bent pin on the harness connector where it went through the firewall.
Couple of others it ended up needing a ohm meter and wiring schematic. Started going through the circuit and at each connector, disconnected it and checked each section whether it was grounding or not. Very slow and time consuming but didn't have many other choices. In a couple of places I eventually found where the wire due to rubbing had a spot where the insulation had worn and was touching the frame etc.
One I found where someone in the past had cut into the wiring for something then later removed it and left a bare end that would short on occassion.
I don't have any specific suggestions and unless you're either good or lucky, it will just take time and perseverence to find it.
Good luck

Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM
edlEBBY
Junior User
look for a bent pin!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Look for critter damage, also. The last one I had to fix in my fleet was due to a mouse nest next to a harness and the little critters chewed a bunch of the insulation off the wires

Here's a tip for folks needing help: ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR VEHICLE, THE FUSE NUMBER IN QUESTION, AND THE SYMPTOMS UNDER WHICH THE FUSE BLOWS. With that information, an experienced technician can get you focused on the right are to look at instead of pi$$ing away time and money on wild goose chases.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Blowing ignition switch fuse