Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

And so it begins.... Restoration of the ol IDI, Parts Truck Strip Down, Completed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And so it begins.... Restoration of the ol IDI, Parts Truck Strip Down, Completed.

We've been getting really nice warm weather so we started striping down the parts truck. Were only keeping the cab off this one. All other rust free body parts are up for sell, along with many other parts of my previous parts truck (1990 short bed).

When we bought this truck, it came with an extra box, doors, fenders, hood and front bumper all of witch will be used to restore the F250.

My previous parts truck had all brand new body panels on it, but with power windows and all that garbage, I want nothing of that, so there also up for sale.

Heres what we got done so far. The cab should be off the frame within the weekend of by next weekend, we still need to find a place to store all the stuff I have in the box of this truck, some rare Ford van parts, a tranny and an engine witch I want to keep.

The cab does need some work on the back wall near the corners, and drivers side front rocker, other than that, it's perfect shape!

1 more problem with it, it's an XL cab, so it had all that useless plastic trim inside witch will NOT be used in the diesel, the Diesel is a Custom and will remain a Custom, nothing inside, no headliner, no carpet, no plastic anywhere inside the cab. So I have to spot weld all the screw holes.

We are keeping the original interior of the Diesel truck, and transferring everything in this cab once fixed up.

Heres the doner, 1988 F150 XL 5 speed (originally a 4 speed)

I'm keeping this nice shape Rad Support for my '89 F150 as it's rotted out at the buttom.

Todays interior work.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM
ah1988
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You doing a complete restoration of the idi or are ya just putting a new body on the "convertiable"

EDIT :You said you are ripping all the carpet and junk out of the cab are you just gonna leave it paint
or are you gonna but some kind of coating on the floor to keep it from getting scratched up and rusting ,
reason i am asking is i pulled all the carpet out of my truck to and i was either going to put that truck bed liner in
or i was going to do some real work and cover the floor in diamond plate thought it would look nice , just seeing if you
had some other idea.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's about time lazy boy keeps us posted, she's gonna look sweet when you are done.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Complete complete resto!

Sand blast the frame, coat it with Line-X, all body panels will be covered in Line-X as well. All new lines, need a new rear tank, complete brakes all around, engine needs to be opened up and checked/re-sealed as it leaks from every possible place there is, tranny needs a Reverse Syncro, clutch, new DMF, complete front end, rebuild the D44

etc. etc.

It's gonna be like a brand new used truck after it's done! lol

Restored to original factory specs!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
ah1988
Senior User
LOL , it looked like it went through the ringer on your youtube vids, it will be cool to see how nice it turns out after you are done.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Yup, from this.....

To this....

Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
zakk
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im subscribing! i have been waiting for this haha. post lots of pics!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Holy cow, your neighbors houses are stacked right on top of each other in your neighborhood!

Looks great John! Everything sounds good too!

I like the convertible!!

Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 PM
ah1988
Senior User
well it is already halfway diassembled, dont have to much further to go

Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribing.....

(go get'em John!!!)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Hey why not use that manual tran for your F150 with C6? Have you thought of swap 3.55 in that F250 for little improve mileage due diesel price?

I be here to watch you restore those tough beast.

Nice but here Michigan in USA are worst RUSTY ROT I wish that F150 was here since it isn't so rust to me.

That picture of F250 wasn't look bad compare to this.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill be keeping an eye on this thread, race ya to the finish man lol. Going to pick up my cab next wknd hopefully. Im going for more of a custom type build than a regular ole restore though. Still its all good either way. I figure on putting bed liner on the underside of the cab and all along the frame while I have her tore apart. Good luck with your build.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ah1988
You doing a complete restoration of the idi or are ya just putting a new body on the "convertiable"

EDIT :You said you are ripping all the carpet and junk out of the cab are you just gonna leave it paint
or are you gonna but some kind of coating on the floor to keep it from getting scratched up and rusting ,
reason i am asking is i pulled all the carpet out of my truck to and i was either going to put that truck bed liner in
or i was going to do some real work and cover the floor in diamond plate thought it would look nice , just seeing if you
had some other idea.
No, right now since it's an XL cab, it's a little fancier, it's got real carpet, not just a vinyl floor like the Diesel has.

The cab will be painted inside and out, i'm using my original dash, seat, door panels and grey vinyl floor mat. But under the floor mat, that floor will be covered in Line-X, and grey paint over the line-x so the floor won't be ugly black under the vinyl.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ah1988
well it is already halfway diassembled, dont have to much further to go
Yeah we just wanted to take as much off as possible for scrap weight, but we had to keep it drivable.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
Hey why not use that manual tran for your F150 with C6? Have you thought of swap 3.55 in that F250 for little improve mileage due diesel price?

The F150 will remain a C6, that standard 5 speed is for sell, to good for scrap, only has 157,000km (98k miles).

The 3.55's wouldn't fit in the Diesel anyhow, the F150 has an 8.8 axle, the Diesel is a full floater 10.25"

But I'm not changing anything on the diesel, especially not on the driveline, I like my 4.10's! I honestly don't care about gas or diesels prices when it comes to this.

Quick Reply: And so it begins.... Restoration of the ol IDI, Parts Truck Strip Down, Completed.