Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it with these Body Mounts!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Or ice pucks. The poor mans body lift from the 80-90's.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
saz2686
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I have read these posts about grinding the post and/or bushing changes. I have performed the grind fix with no good results. When I am driving over turbulent road I get a rapid clunk - clunking, not a squeak. The sound is comming from under my feet. Has anyone had good results with changing the whole $100 body mount assembly? Could it be they front sway bushings?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by saz2686
Ok, I have read these posts about grinding the post and/or bushing changes. I have performed the grind fix with no good results. When I am driving over turbulent road I get a rapid clunk - clunking, not a squeak. The sound is comming from under my feet. Has anyone had good results with changing the whole $100 body mount assembly? Could it be they front sway bushings?
It's more of a creaking noise, if it's the body mount.

Also, I had no luck with the grinding method.

I replaced both upper and lower body mount rubber new bolt and new shim, torque to 87lbs. And NO Grease. This took care of my noise.

Don't know were your noise is comming from. But the usual body mount that fails first the noise would be down by your feet when driving.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
EchoMan43
New User
Any update on the clicking/clunking noise if was the body bushing?

Did you ever figure out if it was the Body mount bushing? I am now having a "clicking" noise on take off and when almost at a complete stop (about 2-5 mph). I can reproduce this sound when stopping and in the first second of take off in reverse. Stop again and move vehicle forward a foot and a "click" when breaking again. I have replaced virtually the entire front end (upper/lower control arms/breaks/callipers/balljoints/bearings/sway bar bushings) and when I have my hand on the body bushings I "think" I can feel the clicking there. Just checking if your clicking/clunking was the bushing? Thanks!

Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
I keep hearing the sound described as a sqeak but I get this deep, clunk sound... like something in the suspension loading up and then releasing. I've had the front end checked over numerous times to try and identify it but everything is tight. Could think occasional clunking sound be the mounts? Does anyone else have this deep rubbing/clunking?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by EchoMan43
Did you ever figure out if it was the Body mount bushing? I am now having a "clicking" noise on take off and when almost at a complete stop (about 2-5 mph). I can reproduce this sound when stopping and in the first second of take off in reverse. Stop again and move vehicle forward a foot and a "click" when breaking again. I have replaced virtually the entire front end (upper/lower control arms/breaks/callipers/balljoints/bearings/sway bar bushings) and when I have my hand on the body bushings I "think" I can feel the clicking there. Just checking if your clicking/clunking was the bushing? Thanks!
From your description, it sure sounds like the body mount.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by UrbanXX
If you can't see the bottom phillips head screws for tha assebbly then the body has sunk or the body mounts have colasped.
...or the bumper has been removed/replaced or the PO slid into a snow bank and that pushed it up or...or...or...

Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EchoMan43
Check the splines on your drive shaft too. When you start/stop, the axle moves ever so much from the torque, and that has the drive shaft change length just a little. There is a boot in the middle where the splines are. I had a clunk when stopping and when starting and sometimes when letting off or on the gas at low speed.

Pulled the drive shaft down, lubed the splines, never heard the problem again.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saz2686
Sounds like sway bar bushings.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Had anyone ever tried putting some glue on some doorstops and beating them in between the frame and body?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
EchoMan43
New User
Thanks! Does anybody recomend the stock rubber ones or the polyuerythane for replacements?

Originally Posted by LivingLarge
From your description, it sure sounds like the body mount.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Daystar KF04050BK Body Mount

Will this at least address part of the problem?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
I just sold the 02' had over 50k on new oem mount with oem shim and no noises...

Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Don't know if this would help since I haven't delved into the body mounts on an Excursion, but I used to have a Chevy Avalanche and Chevrolet had actually issued a TSB on body mount noise. Their solution was a really thin (couple sheets of paper thin) plastic washer (the washer was really thin so it was quite flexible). They were about 2" in diameter and just slipped in between the frame and the body. Super simple solution and they worked on the Avalanche. You might even be able to get them from Chevrolet and use them on the X.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wrxin
Don't know if this would help since I haven't delved into the body mounts on an Excursion, but I used to have a Chevy Avalanche and Chevrolet had actually issued a TSB on body mount noise. Their solution was a really thin (couple sheets of paper thin) plastic washer (the washer was really thin so it was quite flexible). They were about 2" in diameter and just slipped in between the frame and the body. Super simple solution and they worked on the Avalanche. You might even be able to get them from Chevrolet and use them on the X.
Ford had same resolution, with a plastic shim.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Bears-72
Junior User
Bought 4 "kits" to replace the 2 under my feet and the 2 behind it. Lasted a year and started creaking again. I love the truck, but the creaking is making me hate it. I had the "grind down" done, but that only made it worse. I feel like there is ultimately no cure. Just venting.

Quick Reply: I've had it with these Body Mounts!!