Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Or ice pucks. The poor mans body lift from the 80-90's.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior User

saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.saz2686 has a great reputation on FTE.
Ok, I have read these posts about grinding the post and/or bushing changes. I have performed the grind fix with no good results. When I am driving over turbulent road I get a rapid clunk - clunking, not a squeak. The sound is comming from under my feet. Has anyone had good results with changing the whole $100 body mount assembly? Could it be they front sway bushings?
Scott -2000 Excursion Limited. V10. 4x4. Lifted 4". 35" nitto terra grapplers. Red Head steering gear. Warn hub locks. Superchips cortex tuner. Gibson shorty ceramic headers. Flowmaster delta 40 muffler. DC power alt. Surco roof rack. 05 Front. 08 smoked lens mirrors.
2011 Edge sport awd - Wife
1995 Taurus SHO MTX- My daily driver
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by saz2686 View Post
Ok, I have read these posts about grinding the post and/or bushing changes. I have performed the grind fix with no good results. When I am driving over turbulent road I get a rapid clunk - clunking, not a squeak. The sound is comming from under my feet. Has anyone had good results with changing the whole $100 body mount assembly? Could it be they front sway bushings?
It's more of a creaking noise, if it's the body mount.

Also, I had no luck with the grinding method.

I replaced both upper and lower body mount rubber new bolt and new shim, torque to 87lbs. And NO Grease. This took care of my noise.

Don't know were your noise is comming from. But the usual body mount that fails first the noise would be down by your feet when driving.
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 320 amp, Blue spring, much more...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
"I bought a 6.0 PSD and I'm not afraid"
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
New User

EchoMan43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any update on the clicking/clunking noise if was the body bushing?

Did you ever figure out if it was the Body mount bushing? I am now having a "clicking" noise on take off and when almost at a complete stop (about 2-5 mph). I can reproduce this sound when stopping and in the first second of take off in reverse. Stop again and move vehicle forward a foot and a "click" when breaking again. I have replaced virtually the entire front end (upper/lower control arms/breaks/callipers/balljoints/bearings/sway bar bushings) and when I have my hand on the body bushings I "think" I can feel the clicking there. Just checking if your clicking/clunking was the bushing? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie View Post
I keep hearing the sound described as a sqeak but I get this deep, clunk sound... like something in the suspension loading up and then releasing. I've had the front end checked over numerous times to try and identify it but everything is tight. Could think occasional clunking sound be the mounts? Does anyone else have this deep rubbing/clunking?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Postmaster

LivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputationLivingLarge has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMan43 View Post
Did you ever figure out if it was the Body mount bushing? I am now having a "clicking" noise on take off and when almost at a complete stop (about 2-5 mph). I can reproduce this sound when stopping and in the first second of take off in reverse. Stop again and move vehicle forward a foot and a "click" when breaking again. I have replaced virtually the entire front end (upper/lower control arms/breaks/callipers/balljoints/bearings/sway bar bushings) and when I have my hand on the body bushings I "think" I can feel the clicking there. Just checking if your clicking/clunking was the bushing? Thanks!
From your description, it sure sounds like the body mount.
05 LTD 4x4, PSD, ARP, Tuner, Cat Delete, K&N CAI,4" Exhaust w 6" SS Tip, 5" Lift, air bags & RAS, 35's Terra Grapplers on Fuel Wheels, Bilstein 5100's with Dual stabilizers, Twin air, train horn, Amp Research, Rigid Industries, F&R Mag Hytec, Pioneer Nav, 2010 OEM mirrors, DC 320 amp, Blue spring, much more...02 LTD 4X4, V10 Sold
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Posting Guru

robert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanXX View Post
If you can't see the bottom phillips head screws for tha assebbly then the body has sunk or the body mounts have colasped.
...or the bumper has been removed/replaced or the PO slid into a snow bank and that pushed it up or...or...or...

2000 Excursion Limited V10 4x4
F650 dash, Carlin Switches, extended rear lift gate struts, V code/Modded B code springs, AirLift Load Leveler 5000 air bags (rear) w/WirelessOne controller, UltraGauge
Kenwood Excelon, Phoenix Gold Ryval/2 10s, ETD Light Bar, Whelen Vertex rear HAW, Yaesu FT 7800, 2300/4600w inverter
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Posting Guru

robert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputationrobert_l_ross has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMan43 View Post
Check the splines on your drive shaft too. When you start/stop, the axle moves ever so much from the torque, and that has the drive shaft change length just a little. There is a boot in the middle where the splines are. I had a clunk when stopping and when starting and sometimes when letting off or on the gas at low speed.

Pulled the drive shaft down, lubed the splines, never heard the problem again.

2000 Excursion Limited V10 4x4
F650 dash, Carlin Switches, extended rear lift gate struts, V code/Modded B code springs, AirLift Load Leveler 5000 air bags (rear) w/WirelessOne controller, UltraGauge
Kenwood Excelon, Phoenix Gold Ryval/2 10s, ETD Light Bar, Whelen Vertex rear HAW, Yaesu FT 7800, 2300/4600w inverter
Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by saz2686 View Post
Sounds like sway bar bushings.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Had anyone ever tried putting some glue on some doorstops and beating them in between the frame and body?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
New User

EchoMan43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! Does anybody recomend the stock rubber ones or the polyuerythane for replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLarge View Post
From your description, it sure sounds like the body mount.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Elder User

X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.X-Hibition has a great reputation on FTE.
Daystar KF04050BK Body Mount

Will this at least address part of the problem?
2005 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD with Airaid Intake, KC Light Bar w/four Pro Comp 9911, Yakima Rack w/ eight bars, C-Betr, Oilguard Bypass Filter, Jotto Desk, Banks Six Gun Tuner & Intercooler, MBRP T-304 SS Turbo back Exhaust, Icon 5" All Spring lift, Mag-Hytec front and rear diff covers, RAS, Cragar Cryo rotors, Hawk pads, 4.10 gears with Eaton LSD, 18" Eagle Alloys, 285/75-18 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar, PIE ...so far
Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Postmaster

I just sold the 02' had over 50k on new oem mount with oem shim and no noises...
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Elder User

wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.wrxin has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't know if this would help since I haven't delved into the body mounts on an Excursion, but I used to have a Chevy Avalanche and Chevrolet had actually issued a TSB on body mount noise. Their solution was a really thin (couple sheets of paper thin) plastic washer (the washer was really thin so it was quite flexible). They were about 2" in diameter and just slipped in between the frame and the body. Super simple solution and they worked on the Avalanche. You might even be able to get them from Chevrolet and use them on the X.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxin View Post
Don't know if this would help since I haven't delved into the body mounts on an Excursion, but I used to have a Chevy Avalanche and Chevrolet had actually issued a TSB on body mount noise. Their solution was a really thin (couple sheets of paper thin) plastic washer (the washer was really thin so it was quite flexible). They were about 2" in diameter and just slipped in between the frame and the body. Super simple solution and they worked on the Avalanche. You might even be able to get them from Chevrolet and use them on the X.
Ford had same resolution, with a plastic shim.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Junior User

Bears-72 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bought 4 "kits" to replace the 2 under my feet and the 2 behind it. Lasted a year and started creaking again. I love the truck, but the creaking is making me hate it. I had the "grind down" done, but that only made it worse. I feel like there is ultimately no cure. Just venting.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
1996, 2002, bodies, body, bolts, excursion, explorer, f250, fix, ford, mount, mounts, noisey, rear, replace, truck