Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had it with these Body Mounts!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
njstevens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canadian the only time i ever got a clunk was from front links for sway bar. Seems even though they seemed thight and torques i would still get a clunk from time to time.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njstevens
Canadian the only time i ever got a clunk was from front links for sway bar. Seems even though they seemed thight and torques i would still get a clunk from time to time.
Same experience that I had on my Excursion. Not saying you are wrong (about body mounts), but I have never had a problem with body mounts on either Excursion.

You may want to look into endlink bolts instead of body mounts as source of noise.

I was able to finally "kill" this clunking noise by over-torquing the endlink bolts (to 100 ft-lb) where they pass through the frame below drivers/passengers feet. Note that if you break these bolts at 100 ft-lb, you may have to drill out the mounts to 0.50" and install 1/2" SAE grade 8 bolts and re-torque to 100 ft-lb. The original 12 mm bolts may be too weak to accept over-torque technique.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Canadian, if it sounds like it's coming from the floor next to your feet, or even from under your seat it's probably your mounts. And yes it does make a clunking sound and creaking sound in my case.

I went through same things, dealer told me what it was before they even checked it. Of course they had replaced most everything else by then.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Copper disc/washer between the body and mount.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Copper disc/washer between the body and mount.
Snowseeker, what are you suggesting? Replace washer? If so with oem ford? Or something else?

Thank you for the feedback!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess I should have asked where you see the mount is moving between the top washer and the body of the truck or the washer to the rubber?

I was assuming you were getting movement between the top of the mount and the truck body. A copper washer between the top washer and truck body helps the metals grip each other better either stopping movement all together or at least stopping the squeeking.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
I will try copper at this point, truck going in next week sometime for v code install. I will bring dealer copper washers and have them do bad body mount. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by loleuiha
I have been wondering what that squeaking noise is when I drive. It sounds like a squeak rattle combination kind like the sound of a piece of paper flapping real fast at a high pitch. Is that the sound from a worn body mount?

Loleuiha

That sounds like a loose heat shield on the exhaust. With the engine running and in park, block the wheels and crawl under with leather gloves to see if you can stop the rattle. Then bailing wire fix. Let me know if you wanna photo.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 3fingervic
Other than the annoying sound, is there a real problem? BTW, I get a strange sound when I stop, is that the springs flexing?
Clunk, squeek, thump, what kinda sound? Leaf springs usually are silent unless the u-bolts are loose.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I guess I should have asked where you see the mount is moving between the top washer and the body of the truck or the washer to the rubber?
Seems like you could duplicate that sound / movement in the garage with a floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood. Jacking (gently) up/down the body off the frame at that corner.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Sorry, i guess a 3 post in one would have been more efficient.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 AM
loleuiha
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
That sounds like a loose heat shield on the exhaust. With the engine running and in park, block the wheels and crawl under with leather gloves to see if you can stop the rattle. Then bailing wire fix. Let me know if you wanna photo.
No the sound only comes when the Ex is moving more than 20 mph. I do get a clunk sound when I go over certins bumps or holes on the road. Could that clunk be my body mounts? Ive had a shop replace my front sway bar bushings. But the clunk is still clunking away when I go over those bumps or holes. I was thinking it may be the Radius arm Bushings. But now Im not sure. Any advice will help....

Loleuiha

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Mine mustbe the body mounts as I do not run the front sway bar... does anyone know if there is a detailed how-to on here to follow? I don't want to go to the extent of lifting the body cpmpletely off the frame if I don't have to.

Thanx!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Just did a quick search and found this thread...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...placement.html

From what I can ascertain, the culprit seems to be the metal tube that goes through the mount, it protrudes past the rubber once it settles and that is what is rubbing and releasing, metal on metal. Solution, without having to replace the mount at $90 a pop is to grind this tube down and reinstall. Makes sense to me as I read of alot of guys lubing, re-tightening etc to no avail. Still not sure if I have to loosen all the mounts off and jack the body up yet... guess that will be found out in Murphy's garage

Old 03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Ok, so this is my plan:

1) buy new bushing/mount
2) buy new hardware
3) grind tube down 1/8" on each side
4) add either copper washer or shim
5) use no lube as per ford shop manual
6) go to church on Sunday have it done on Monday

Figure starting all new with these mods may do it.
Also I started thinking maybe the high humidity here in south Florida is not helping the cause.

Quick Reply: I've had it with these Body Mounts!!