312ci Yblock intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
312ci Yblock intake?

Hey all

I've got a 312 ci Yblock in my 48F1 and am thinking of replacing the OEM cast iron 4 barrel intake. Should I? And if so is there a "preferred" specific unit/model/part number etc. The reason I'm thinking about it is because a previous owner milled the heads somewhat for compression--back in the day-and now its a kinda tough fit to get the intake manifold installed with a gasket and such because of the resulting misalignment between intake and heads. I'm either gonna have a machine shop plane some material off the intake to make for better alignment or buy a aftermarket Edelbrock or type aluminum dual plane or? and have them plane it as needed. This is not really a competition motor or etc/but I like things to work good etc. I only use a two barrel carb-mileage etc-this is a daily driver mostly OEM looking truck with a camper shell and I "kinda" like the OEM looking Yblock. I even have the OEM distributor etc/But I did put on tubular headers etc, so its not total stock etc, and one person suggested after the headers that the motor would sure benefit from the more recent better flowing aluminum intakes etc. Should I go aftermarket Aluminum or keep the cast OEM etc. Any ideas or specific part numbers if I go the aluminum? I'm guessing a standard dual plane of some sort but haven't even looked at catalogs yet. Appreciate you've probably been there before. What do you suggest.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you can have the manifold angle milled to fit better, and this would have to be done to a aluminium one too.

As far as motors I have built for mileage concerns there is little or no gain with an aftermarket 4 barrel manifold. Power wise they usually make more especially if you get a highrise of some kind.

A proper 500 cfm 4 barrel should inprove mileage and power vs your 2 barrel.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
The better thing to do is to mill the intake flange on the heads but more work is involved in getting the heads off. This achieves the same goal but you can now use virtually any intake on it without having to mill the intake, which can save a lot of money in the long run.
For your application, I think the ECZ-9425-B 4v manifold will work well. It's a factory iron manifold. If it's in the budget go with new, aluminum, but expect to pay at least $370ish for one. 46Yblock has one of The new Mummert 4v manifolds which seems to do well for economy. The other option is Blue Thunder but I don't think they are produced anymore and they are usually more than $400 if you can find one. The Blue Thunder is neat because it has the ECZ-9425-B numbers cast into it and it is pretty similar in outward appearance to the iron manifold; you can paint it and not many people will notice it is aftermarket.
Does your current 2 barrel mount to the intake with 4 bolts?

Old 03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

The motors in the truck and all is good and don't plan future intake changes so just want to make it easy and mod the existing intake. I don't expect to make any future changes. A little uncomfortable at the notion of disturbing more than necessary now that I realize the motors been modded/ no telling what else I'll take off and can't get to go back on haha/I'm for sure not a knowledgeable engine builder but I was surprised that I couldnt even replace a simple intake gasket. That's how I came to learn about the head milling--no way to get the standard gasket in there/i made some super thin gaskets by hand and they're not working good enough.

I was actually expecting to find an Edelbrock dual plane for the 292/312 series of motors but I don't see it in their catalog. Unless I'm missing it?
And I see they make a ton of Ford intakes, but nothing for the 312Yblock four barrel? Either I'm missing it or they just skipped this motor for some reason. I was expecting to spend $200 or so. All you more experienced Y block guys have always been aware of this I'm sure, but I've not done much with Y blocks. All new to me. Cool motor.

I went to the Mummert HOME PAGE site and looked at the aluminum intakes and all. Cool stuff for sure. wow nice But I'm planning to sell this truck--unfortunately-- and I'll let the new owner spend.

I think I'll just go ahead and have a machine shop mill the intake enough to get the OEM gasket in there and I should be good to go.

And to answer your question my current 2barrel mounts with 4 bolts but not directly to the manifold--I've got an adapter plate. This manifold is the EOZ-8425-B ? I think that' right? And I'm using the Holley Model 2300 500cfm 2barrel/manual choke.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tomget
The motors in the truck and all is good and don't plan future intake changes so just want to make it easy and mod the existing intake. I don't expect to make any future changes. A little uncomfortable at the notion of disturbing more than necessary now that I realize the motors been modded/ no telling what else I'll take off and can't get to go back on haha/I'm for sure not a knowledgeable engine builder but I was surprised that I couldnt even replace a simple intake gasket. That's how I came to learn about the head milling--no way to get the standard gasket in there/i made some super thin gaskets by hand and they're not working good enough.

I was actually expecting to find an Edelbrock dual plane for the 292/312 series of motors but I don't see it in their catalog. Unless I'm missing it?
And I see they make a ton of Ford intakes, but nothing for the 312Yblock four barrel? Either I'm missing it or they just skipped this motor for some reason. I was expecting to spend $200 or so. All you more experienced Y block guys have always been aware of this I'm sure, but I've not done much with Y blocks. All new to me. Cool motor.

I went to the Mummert HOME PAGE site and looked at the aluminum intakes and all. Cool stuff for sure. wow nice But I'm planning to sell this truck--unfortunately-- and I'll let the new owner spend.

I think I'll just go ahead and have a machine shop mill the intake enough to get the OEM gasket in there and I should be good to go.

And to answer your question my current 2barrel mounts with 4 bolts but not directly to the manifold--I've got an adapter plate. This manifold is the EOZ-8425-B ? I think that' right? And I'm using the Holley Model 2300 500cfm 2barrel/manual choke.
It sounds like you have reasons for your plan. Like Charlie said the intake flanges of the heads are a better way to go, but the manifold milling can achieve the same thing. Hope I dont someday buy the intake on ebay not knowing it has been milled.

Nice looking F1. I would like to have it.

500 cfm 2V is WAY too big in a 2 barrel. Then add in a Mr. Gasket type adaptor, and it is a bad setup, sorry to say. Whoever gets the truck needs to sell the carb and adaptor for a better suited carb.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
If you're planning to sell, get that intake back on and sell it. If it came off, it'll go back on. No need to spend any money on milling.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by charliemccraney
If you're planning to sell, get that intake back on and sell it. If it came off, it'll go back on. No need to spend any money on milling.
Maybe you didnt' understand what I said or I didn't say it clearly. The intake is on! The truck runs just has some minor vacuum leak etc. That's all. I just want to make the necessary changes. So the motor is tight. And 46y block if your worried about buying an intake that has been milled/ would you rather buy a pair of heads that had? Think about it.
I'm just trying to do the best I can to clean things up. That's all. Is that wrong? I didn't start the milling.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
I did not understand that. Proceed with the milling but don't worry about a new intake.

If the heads were also milled on the intake flange to compensate for the milling on the deck, I would rather purchase that set of heads, rather than an intake that has been milled. It simply removes one more variable. The truth is that you'll probably find a motor to use a milled intake on. Something that head milling cannot always compensate for is block milling. Then the intake has to be milled anyway. It's just one of the risks of used parts.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it comes out Tom.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Just for discussion, the 312 I am working on came with G heads. The heads had been milled at least .035 (estimate) on the intake flange. I could see it, had other heads to compare it to. Very well may have missed the mark if the intake had been milled. Just do what you have to. No judgements here. How much is the truck going for?