Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed new 4-6" drop brackets and wouldnt you know....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 AM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed new 4-6" drop brackets and wouldnt you know....

I just installed 4-6" drop brackets and I didnt notice a change in my camber. After further inspection I realized that the drop brackets I pulled out are also 4-6" drop brackets but just built differently. So after dropping $155 without inspecting what parts I already have on my truck now I'm still stuck with positive camber and I'm waiting on my camber bushings to come in. Just thought I would share my ignorance with you.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
raptor1971
Senior User
Do not feel bad.
I got a used 6" lift kit for $200 and the guy said the leaf springs where Trailmaster 6" inch leaf springs. I put the front lift on and drive to my friend with a torch and put the leaf springs on, lowered truck off of jack, same height as before. Had to buy lift blocks.
That used lift kit cost me around $1000 when I could of got a new one for around $600. Lesson learned,The whole reason for buying a used lift kit was because of the lifted leaf spring because I did not want to use lift blocks.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
Originally Posted by raptor1971
Do not feel bad.
I got a used 6" lift kit for $200 and the guy said the leaf springs where Trailmaster 6" inch leaf springs. I put the front lift on and drive to my friend with a torch and put the leaf springs on, lowered truck off of jack, same height as before. Had to buy lift blocks.
That used lift kit cost me around $1000 when I could of got a new one for around $600. Lesson learned,The whole reason for buying a used lift kit was because of the lifted leaf spring because I did not want to use lift blocks.
I definitely feel better now! I have blocks on mine and have been wanting to get rid of them. But until I can get this camber problem fixed I am holding off on a lot of projects. My bushings will be here today and I will be putting them on tomorrow. It seems pretty straight forward so we will see how it goes.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by USMC35thSS
I just installed 4-6" drop brackets and I didnt notice a change in my camber. After further inspection I realized that the drop brackets I pulled out are also 4-6" drop brackets but just built differently. So after dropping $155 without inspecting what parts I already have on my truck now I'm still stuck with positive camber and I'm waiting on my camber bushings to come in. Just thought I would share my ignorance with you.
At least now you know what you have and you know it was installed correctly. Because of 2 bad experiences I almost refuse to buy any truck that has had any suspension mods installed on it. Unless it's for parts only.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 AM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KevinGnWV
At least now you know what you have and you know it was installed correctly. Because of 2 bad experiences I almost refuse to buy any truck that has had any suspension mods installed on it. Unless it's for parts only.
That's true

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
That's true. What happened

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by USMC35thSS
That's true. What happened
The first time was a lifted 77 cheby. I'm assuming he reused the u-bolts instead of using new ones and one side broke. Partially my fault for not looking closer but on the other hand, after a little age and weather it's kinda hard to tell new from old. The kicker of that situation was when the driver side u-bolts let go, the spring leaves went everywhere. No center bolt at all.

The second one had a body lift on it. It was a 79 F150. I was off roading it a month after I bought it and front cab bolt broke, cab lifted up and seperated the steering shaft. Along with some other minor body damage between the cab and fender and cab and bed.

Nothing major, but next time might not be so minor.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
USMC35thSS
Freshman User
The first time was a lifted 77 cheby. I'm assuming he reused the u-bolts instead of using new ones and one side broke. Partially my fault for not looking closer but on the other hand, after a little age and weather it's kinda hard to tell new from old. The kicker of that situation was when the driver side u-bolts let go, the spring leaves went everywhere. No center bolt at all.

The second one had a body lift on it. It was a 79 F150. I was off roading it a month after I bought it and front cab bolt broke, cab lifted up and seperated the steering shaft. Along with some other minor body damage between the cab and fender and cab and bed.

Nothing major, but next time might not be so minor.
That's crazy. I bought mine with the lift on it and haven't really checked it all out yet. Looks like I better do that.