1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

At times, I wonder what I was thinking........

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
At times, I wonder what I was thinking........

Well, I haven't spent much time on FTE lately. I've been trying to get a lot done on the 55. As some of you may recall I've owned this truck for over 20 yrs. When I first got it, it didn't take long to realize that I had a real POS. It was really butchered up by some PO, so I decided to build what I had always wanted........ a custom. This truck has fought me the whole way, which might account for why I've pushed it out of the shop and built other projects during the 20+ years. Rusted out panels, brackets, butchered up frame, missing parts, etc....It's built from so many different parts, that I started to put together an owners manual so that I or whoever winds up with the truck can actually go and buy parts that are going to fit.

For anyone contemplating building an old truck, it would be wise to find a truck in the best condition that you can afford. It will certainly save a lot time and effort in the long run. Needless to say I've lost interest in my build lots of times over the years and if it had not been for my wife insisting that I keep the truck, I probably would have unloaded it years ago.

Now....if you really want to get me started, let a purist make a comment about me cutting up a perfectly good truck.

I guess I feel better now.......I think.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sell it

If you want to sell it just let me know.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
That is a title I think alot of us can relate to: What was I thinking......
I hope it doesn't take me twenty years to get mine on the road, but after the lack of progress this winter, I can see how it happens...
I get frustrated when I don't feel progress. I am already sick of fabricating brackets and gussets and such, using the beginner type tooling that I have. My garage is a 2.5 stall but it should be a 4 car at least! never any room! but I just keep chippin away...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
1 YEAR LATER

I worked 7/12's most of my life working shutdowns at a papermill/powerplant/chemical plants/ [and my favorite ] orangejuice plants. So when i started my truck i looked at it as a small task . One thing i learned working shutdowns was you need to always think about what you need to do next to keep things moving. I got to say having the money helps. But when the next step is going to cost you money that you don't got you can always do 10 more thing that don't. My point is just take it one thing at a time but THINK AHEAD and you can get something done everyday. Don't set your goals to restore a truck set them to get these part of the truck done this week. NOW GET OUT THERE !!!!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Boy it must be that time of year,I can't wait for some warmer weather. I must be getting older as it's getting harder to get motivated this winter. I'm hoping to do a couple of small things this weekend, hopefully a little progress will feel good. I was planning on having the '48 on the road next spring but I'm thinking about backing off so I can get finished the way I want it without cutting corners.
Keep at it, you truck looks amazing!
Brian

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Talking

Why'd you cut up a perfectly good truck?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
TBSS110
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
That is a title I think alot of us can relate to: What was I thinking......
I hope it doesn't take me twenty years to get mine on the road, but after the lack of progress this winter, I can see how it happens...
I get frustrated when I don't feel progress. I am already sick of fabricating brackets and gussets and such, using the beginner type tooling that I have. My garage is a 2.5 stall but it should be a 4 car at least! never any room! but I just keep chippin away...

Man, I'm right there with ya, I have a 2 stall with a work bench in the back. One stall is taken up by another project I started at the same time (Big Mistake!!), so most of the time the truck sits out side while I work on other things inside, I would LOVE to have a 4 stall with a lift. If my garage had a lift, a fridge, and a bathroom; I would never leave. OHH and a heater for the winter

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
For anyone contemplating building an old truck, it would be wise to find a truck in the best condition that you can afford. It will certainly save a lot time and effort in the long run. Needless to say I've lost interest in my build lots of times over the years and if it had not been for my wife insisting that I keep the truck, I probably would have unloaded it years ago.

The best I could afford was free (yes, my F1 was a free if I take it type thing). It's gonna take me forever as a result. And my wife does NOT insist I keep the truck.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Stick with it Drewski, I need a fellow darksider to stick up for me when the purists chime in. In checking your gallery I noticed that I used the same seatbelts for my tailgate latching that you used and I also made my own hidden hinges. Sometimes great minds think alike. You've got one great 55 going there so don't stop now. If I lived closer I could give you hand.

"Happiness: 3 pedals an a 5 speed"

Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
maverickman514
Senior User
DARKSIDERS UNITE!! Stock SUCKS!! but that was no reason to go cuttin up a perfectly good truck... lol... I have to work out of a 20x30 garage and between 2 motorcycles, my brother's Pinto and my son's FORD 4.6L Mazda RX7 projects, I have to figure a way to get the 56 Effie in and get started on it.... anyone care to donate some work space and maybe some parts capital? lmao

Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmm.....my truck project sat behind the barn for 12 years while I did restoration projects with all of my kids. I guess it's my turn now. I did start on it twice during the 12 years, so I'm hoping that the 3rd time is a charm.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
DumbLuck
Senior User
I can see my beastie from the kitchen window, finally uncovered from snow for the first time since November. 2 car garage? goldarn, that'd be LUXURY here with my unheated 1 car garage. I'm lucky to get my truck in the driveway without the Wife raising heck. It's gonna be at least another month till the truck moves as the parking out back right now is a clay mudpit. banana peel tires aint moving her anywhere till it's melted, thawed and dried out there. I'm betting mid April, if then.

Once i get a warm day i'm gonna pull the generator/regulator once again and see iffin i cant get that workin right. i'm saving up for $25 worth of brushes and bearings rebuild kit lol. And also pull the carb (yet again) for a good spring cleaning. It was demanding choke to run late last fall so she's gettin dirty again. We wont mention what the Wife's vehicle needs, nor the "family" car's needs lol

Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
wow This feeling came over me with my last project.
1959 coronet.I paid 1,500.00 for it.I had my fried take to vegas to get the 318 rebuilt 2,500.00;brought it back to Baker.I moved to Vegas and hauled the car with me with no place to store it,a friend at work let me put it in his driveway for a while,I swear I called the towing company to move it like 8 times. I brought it to the apartments where they told me It couldn't be there so they gave me a 7 day notice to move it,I moved it around the parking lot til they found out it was still there so they gave me a 3 day notice.By then I had called a shop to see if they could make it drivable,they told me it would cost me 7,000 dollars to rebuild the engine tranny and electrics.I had the money in my pocket but I second guessed my self and I said no.
Finally my idiot friend had the idea to bring it to his apartment complex because no one would mess with it.(they had cars with no tires or front clips just sitting there so he thought no one cared if I took it there.)it was gone the very next day and they sent me a notice:1000 dollars to get it out and 100 a day each day it sat in the yard so I said:"to hell with it, they can shove it".
You guys have your own place your garage tools and the knowledge I say just stick with it.
I wish I live close to you Drewsky I would help you all the time so I could learn your skills and help you with your project.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shoot, a two car garage would be super nice. I have a 1 car garage thats full without the truck in it, welders, air compressors, table saws, tool boxes, etc, etc lol. Money does help but I don't always have that so I do what I can when I can. Right now mine is in the shop getting a good go over, tightening up the tranny lines and fixing the lifter tap. Once thats all done and shes good to go I will start the next step. My goal is to get her drivable, then I will start the body work 1 piece at a time. this way I can still drive her, this is what helps me keep chugging along and my son loves hearing his truck rev up. yes I'm putty in my kiddo's hands, anything that makes him smile or laugh is all it takes to make me do it. As much as the stock trucks are nice mine, oops my sons truck (good thing he cant read yet) left me no choice in the decision. Not that anyone would after all the work you have done but if someone doesn't like your truck because you've modded it tell them to take a hike, that truck is gorgeous...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 AM
fourspeedwagon
New User
Wow, now that's a chop- 6 inches?
I'm plotting out a chop on one of my old f's but i don't know if I could get away with that deep of a drop.

Quick Reply: At times, I wonder what I was thinking........