1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 motorhome mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E350 motorhome mirrors

I recently acquired an 87 Coachmen MH on an E350 chassis (with the 460), and I can't see squat behind this beast. Is a longer "arm" available (the 90 degree elbow) that the mirror bolts to. I just need the mirrors to stick out about another 3".

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the mirror just attached to the "elbow"? On my van the "elbow" has a bar bolted to it that is slotted. The mirror is bolted to the the bar. I can loosen the mounting bolt on the bar tha attaches it to the elbow and slide it in or out as needed to see behind me.

Try removing the mirrors from the elbow, They should bolt on. Then get a piece of steel or aluminum and extend the mirror out.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 AM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jimbbski
Is the mirror just attached to the "elbow"? On my van the "elbow" has a bar bolted to it that is slotted. The mirror is bolted to the the bar. I can loosen the mounting bolt on the bar tha attaches it to the elbow and slide it in or out as needed to see behind me.

Try removing the mirrors from the elbow, They should bolt on. Then get a piece of steel or aluminum and extend the mirror out.
They just bolt to a flat piece of metal on the back of the mirror. I've thought about doing something similar to your suggestion. Since I only need a few inches more length (story of my life, lol), I was trying to just get a longer bolt and spacer to extend the mirrors out. The problem is the thread pattern in the elbow. I thought it was just a standard fine thread, 3/8" bolt, but apparetnly it has some type of weird thread that I cannot find a longer bolt for. That's why I was hoping there was a longer elbow already made somewhere. I know it has to be. I can't be the only one with this problem. I just can't find anything.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM
beest
New User
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I like my mirrors on my '87 Corsair.

The little round blind spot mirrors really do help!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn
I like my mirrors on my '87 Corsair.

The little round blind spot mirrors really do help!
THAT'S what I'm talking about !!!! Your horizontal bar is considerably longer than mine, and that's exactly how I want to set up my mirrors. I just need that elbow with the long horizontal bar.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
beest
New User
look at your elbow is one side longer then the other if so try to reverse the direction flip it around you should be able to if not try looking in a truck stop for the elbow.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 PM
beest
New User
on my coach I have a long u that attaches to the top of the door and comes down and attaches to the tripod where your mirror is. that way you can still mount your existing mirror and a spot mirror under it . The bar I am referring to is look the kind on a tractor trailer.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I know what your talking about, I love those mirrors, but no many of 'em look good on campers simply cause they are painted the same color as the cab. If they would be chrome they would look great!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Dago Red
Freshman User
Mine seems shorter than the one pictured, it's an 84. but I have a couple of the round fisheye mirrors attached to the main mirrors (the 2" stick on types) and they work great for the blind spots. I haven't driven it much yet but visibility seems fine. The one thing I have considered adding, they're about 100 bucks, is the wireless back up cameras they sell at PepBoys and other auto parts places. I was thinking if I mounted it up on the luggage rack on top, angled down, it would give me an awesome picture of what's behind me. Just an idea

Red

Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dago Red
Mine seems shorter than the one pictured, it's an 84. but I have a couple of the round fisheye mirrors attached to the main mirrors (the 2" stick on types) and they work great for the blind spots. I haven't driven it much yet but visibility seems fine. The one thing I have considered adding, they're about 100 bucks, is the wireless back up cameras they sell at PepBoys and other auto parts places. I was thinking if I mounted it up on the luggage rack on top, angled down, it would give me an awesome picture of what's behind me. Just an idea

Red
I've got the same little fisheyes on my 82. They sure are handy.

DieselJohn, that '87 motorhome sure looks clean.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Thanks, it defenently is showing it's age though. The stripping and cracking pretty bad, especially on the hood witch has been on my to-do list for some years now but never had time to get around to it.

Heres a pic of last years trip to New Hampshire.

Heres a close up of it, and yes, the interior is as clean as the exterior Parkay Hardwood floors and Red upholstery.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last year was 2009?

Still looks good to me, but of course you know all the things that are wrong with it. As do I with my 82 El Dorado 28 footer. They seem to be about the same configuration - the extra headroom on the front half is very welcome for me. I've got some parkay (sic) flooring too, but with some water damage that I very amateurly repaired.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
I'm still stuck in 2010.

So far this thing has been 100% trouble free for the past 5 years now. It's got a brand new fridge (2000$) back in 2005, full tune up 6-7 years ago, Injectors, Injector Pump, head gaskets a few years before the tune up.

6 new Michelin LTX M/S2 tires this year. New belts and fan clutch also this year, I had to do all this as we had a 10k+ miles trip last summer. In total we did 16,000km (11,000 miles) in 8 weeks. 1 and only thing that happened during that trip was the A/C compressor clutch blew out on us in northern California. Was the original system, still running on the original R12.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
tekrsq
Mountain Pass
John,

That is a NICE rig. I hope mine loks half that nice when I'm done, but I've got a ways to go.

My, mirror elbows are approx 4" from center of the radius to the bolt end. Both ends are the same.

Quick Reply: E350 motorhome mirrors