6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
myred1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue oval fan
i guess i have been lucky and have not experienced this problem!.. yet. the only thing i have noticed is sometimes it seems like it is trying to decide to shift from 3rd to 4th (rpm change) then doesnt, then decides to. its kind of odd but i think i also experienced it on my old truck. my question is tho, why didnt this 2nd to 3rd shift problem occur to ford when they were testing these trucks before the started selling them???
My truck does the same thing.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
I've got the same issues. It's sporadic, but I get harsh shifts, hunting for the right gear at times, occassional going into neutral and sometimes it feels like it shifts into 6th too soon and kind of shakes a little. This sounds like a lot, but it's really sporadic and I've learned to control it a bit with the way I drive. And to be fair, I'm probably due for 2 or 3 TSB's and just haven't had a chance to take the truck in and leave it. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the service department where I bought my truck....part of the reason it hasn't been back. I really need to find a good one in SLC.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
viktar tuleika
Junior User
Im reading this and want to say that last week i noticed something werid with my tranny as well .at 5800 miles it first started ,not I get it here and there .plus some ticking noice from tranny as well ,hope its not gonna fall appart when i pull my trailer yea and my heat/windshield defrost motor broke to ....

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM
mach8274
Tuned
Haven't really noticed anything yet as far as tranny shift issues. Then again, I only have 700 miles on mine. Built 9/10, sat on dealer lot until I bought it in Feb.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mr clutch
the question i have is anyone else experiencing this same issue!!!!
Mine did it today after an approximate 7 hour soak. Had done it a few times before, but very minor over revving.
Today it was like a missed shift.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
had my vin pulled my truck was built on 9-25 NO TSB's out on it according to their program

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
going to see the dealer tuesday morning to get this undecided 3rd gear shift issue addressed. hope they can fix it with a update or w.e it takes!!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
going to see the dealer tuesday morning to get this undecided 3rd gear shift issue addressed. hope they can fix it with a update or w.e it takes!!
just got back from the dealer and they said that the rpm change im seeing in 3rd gear (when it acts like it wants to shift out of 3rd, then it doesnt, then it does) is normal, its only a 100 or 200 rpm change. but the good thing is he said he ran the oasis on the truck and that there is no current updates for my truck and that everything is fine. he also said that the 2nd to 3rd gear shifting issues i have been reading about is only happening in certain areas and he hasnt heard of any in ohio? he said climate has a lot to do with what is happening there

*he also filled me in about his 6.7 psd classes he went to and said in class they have turned these motors up to 800 hp - pretty outrageous if u ask me! so once in that conversation i asked him why they would turn it back down so that gm still out performs it (such as rumble in the rockies etc..) and he didnt have much of a response. but what i got out of the whole conversation is that this motor seems to be a beast that the diesel mechanics are very impressed with and that can handle a s**t load of power!!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
just got back from the dealer and they said that the rpm change im seeing in 3rd gear (when it acts like it wants to shift out of 3rd, then it doesnt, then it does) is normal,
No offense, but just because someone says it's normal doesn't mean we have to believe it. I'm not buying that a few hundred RPM jump is normal. I've been driving trucks for over 30 years and have never had one do this. The flip side of this is...if someone can explain to me why this is normal and why some do it and some don't and how it's related to environment/climate then I'm ready to listen.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
houstonmr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
No offense, but just because someone says it's normal doesn't mean we have to believe it. I'm not buying that a few hundred RPM jump is normal. I've been driving trucks for over 30 years and have never had one do this. The flip side of this is...if someone can explain to me why this is normal and why some do it and some don't and how it's related to environment/climate then I'm ready to listen.
In the old days where they used vacuum modulators to time shifts, altitude and temperature could effect shifting. I don't think they have used vacuum modulators since electronics took over. Am I dating myself? ;-)

Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
"Normal" to me would indicate this "feature" would exist on all trucks.
Since some have harsh shifting and/or shift failures and some remain flawless, that is not "normal."

Maybe the flawless trucks are the broken ones; even then it can't be normal because this still isn't equal.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
vtboy51
Freshman User
I know Ford is trying to blame this rough shifting on climate conditions, but in my case the problems existed since I bought in July 2010. So through the summer months (90 degrees) and winter months (-20 degrees), same issues. Then I've even seen them say it is caused by cold transmission temps (parking over night) I've had the high rev problem 2 hours into a trip on an 80 degree day. So if you take all this information and the fact that my technician tells me most of the flash updates are a band-aid fix for a real problem, I'm nervous about the truck.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vtboy51
I know Ford is trying to blame this rough shifting on climate conditions, but in my case the problems existed since I bought in July 2010. So through the summer months (90 degrees) and winter months (-20 degrees), same issues. Then I've even seen them say it is caused by cold transmission temps (parking over night) I've had the high rev problem 2 hours into a trip on an 80 degree day. So if you take all this information and the fact that my technician tells me most of the flash updates are a band-aid fix for a real problem, I'm nervous about the truck.
While I sympathize with your transmission shift issues, your dealer tech is doing you a big disservice by telling you that computer flashes are a band-aid fix . The first thing that comes to mind when I hear this nonsense is the tech likely drives a 7.3 diesel truck. Everything on your new truck is tied into a computer somehow. There are millions of lines of computer code stored in your trucks computer. There will be the need for updates and they are not band-aids.

You are the second guy that has posted today with far too many issues that can easily be laid at their dealers door. My recommendation is to find a new dealer with an up to date service department and savvy techs. There are some minor issues with the trans shifting and Ford has updated the system twice, The first update resulted in most owners who were unhappy being satisfied. There are a few more problem child's left after the second update.

There is a new update that was released but recalled. The reason for the recall is unknown. The trans shift issues you reference are specifically mentioned in the TSB. If it was my truck, when it is released again, I would go to a competent dealer and have them look at my truck...and fix it.

Good Luck as you move forward from here...

Regards

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rickatic
While I sympathize with your transmission shift issues, your dealer tech is doing you a big disservice by telling you that computer flashes are a band-aid fix . The first thing that comes to mind when I hear this nonsense is the tech likely drives a 7.3 diesel truck. Everything on your new truck is tied into a computer somehow. There are millions of lines of computer code stored in your trucks computer. There will be the need for updates and they are not band-aids.

You are the second guy that has posted today with far too many issues that can easily be laid at their dealers door. My recommendation is to find a new dealer with an up to date service department and savvy techs. There are some minor issues with the trans shifting and Ford has updated the system twice, The first update resulted in most owners who were unhappy being satisfied. There are a few more problem child's left after the second update.

There is a new update that was released but recalled. The reason for the recall is unknown. The trans shift issues you reference are specifically mentioned in the TSB. If it was my truck, when it is released again, I would go to a competent dealer and have them look at my truck...and fix it.

Good Luck as you move forward from here...

Regards
I appreciate the advice about finding another dealer, but I have also spoken with Ford directly about all the issues I'm having and they are telling me the exact same thing the dealer is. What really makes me mad is that just 3 weeks ago Ford them selves tells me there is nothing wrong with my truck and that it is within spec, then they come out with a software update to fix the problem, that wasn't a problem 3 weeks ago.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vtboy51
I appreciate the advice about finding another dealer, but I have also spoken with Ford directly about all the issues I'm having and they are telling me the exact same thing the dealer is. What really makes me mad is that just 3 weeks ago Ford them selves tells me there is nothing wrong with my truck and that it is within spec, then they come out with a software update to fix the problem, that wasn't a problem 3 weeks ago.
I am still suspect of the quality of the dealership working on the truck. Your oasis report will tell customer service what is going on with your dealership repairs. Here is a link to the Diesel Stop forum. There is a Ford Customer Service rep who has been taking care of guys with problems. It may be the most redeeming quality at that site.

Flash? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

The CS rep's name is Cory. He seems eager to help.

Regards

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues