6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
It does address shifting issues and it is an improvement but it doesn't resolve this issue.
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
If I recall correctly, the wording in the TSB specifically said that it was intended to address this issue. That's where I got the term "long soak" from. There's no possible way that Ford can claim they don't know about it. If your dealer is saying that, they need a couple smacks with a cluebat.
I can't find where I said Ford doesn't know about it in this topic (it's always possible I did say that somewhere) nor did my dealer say anything but the above comment is simply something I came up with on my own.

OK Ford addressed this issue and I do believe you but I suppose my point is if this issue was resolved, the issue would not exist; unless the intent of addressing this issue was not to resolve it.

I won't blame Ford if they didn't specifically state that the TSB will resolve the issue, probably more of an experiment and safer to not use the word "will" over such a sporadic issue.

If it's resolved on paper and my truck (and others) does this from time-to-time, then it's not resolved within the hardware.
I could care less what's stated on paper.

Anyways...

I don't know what the transmission temp was yesterday because I have the basic screen and I don't know where the transmission gauge was but I'm going to guess half (normal op temp) and I'll explain why I guess normal temp.

I left work at lunch.
I drove 3 miles to Wendys (with a bit of idle) then 12 miles home.
Ate lunch within 15 minutes and was back on the road so none of the hardware had much time to cool down; was 72 or 73 degrees F outside.
This gear skip occured pulling out onto the highway from a side road after another 7 miles of driving.

Yes, most of the previous times I can tell you those were after a cold soak (I'll call that one hour or more due to past experiences). Not the case this time.
After all of that driving, there is no way that transmission was cold.

djjoshuad,
What is the digital transmission temp when your transmission gauge is 1/4 and then at half (normal temp)?
Lack of a fancy screen!

Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
bartlanz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ive test driven two 2011 Diesel KR's and the first I thought shifted funny, but it wasnt warm. The second did exactily what you are talking about as I was merging into traffic getting off of a highway. I thought I broke the truck... and the sales man joked that if i broke it I'de have to buy it... I got it was a joke and he was a good guy, but its not a cool experiance to have, I was like WTH?!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't find where I said Ford doesn't know about it in this topic (it's always possible I did say that somewhere) nor did my dealer say anything but the above comment is simply something I came up with on my own.
My apologies! I didn't mean to imply that you said that, but my poor formatting does make it look that way. That part of my response was intended for the OP

OK Ford addressed this issue and I do believe you but I suppose my point is if this issue was resolved, the issue would not exist; unless the intent of addressing this issue was not to resolve it.
I personally have not had this flash applied. I agree that the issue was *addressed* but not necessarily *resolved*. My truck is waiting for a better fix before it goes in. Of course, my bonehead dealer tends to apply flashes without asking me... so I might end up getting it anyway.

I don't know what the transmission temp was yesterday because I have the basic screen and I don't know where the transmission gauge was but I'm going to guess half (normal op temp) and I'll explain why I guess normal temp.

I left work at lunch.
I drove 3 miles to Wendys (with a bit of idle) then 12 miles home.
Ate lunch within 15 minutes and was back on the road so none of the hardware had much time to cool down; was 72 or 73 degrees F outside.
This gear skip occured pulling out onto the highway from a side road after another 7 miles of driving.

Yes, most of the previous times I can tell you those were after a cold soak (I'll call that one hour or more due to past experiences). Not the case this time.
After all of that driving, there is no way that transmission was cold.
This is definitely not the same circumstances I've experienced the issue in. I think you fall into that other bucket. How many miles do you have? mine seems to have gotten worse from 10k-16k... maybe I will fall into the same bucket as you in a few more miles?

djjoshuad,
What is the digital transmission temp when your transmission gauge is 1/4 and then at half (normal temp)?
Lack of a fancy screen!
That's a good question, and unfortunately I can't give a good answer. If I had to guess based on other Fords I've owned, I'd say that the low end of the gauge is probably about 90 degrees and the high end is probably about 260. That puts the center at 175, which is about right in my estimation. This is purely a very-slightly-educated guess, though.

I think you're a good candidate for a DashDAQ screen... $550 and it gives WAY more info than the productivity screen does. I'm probably going to be ordering one myself .

Can you reproduce your issue reliably? If so, might I recommend some video to take to your ford dealer? I'm planning to do the same thing soon if they do not come up with a fix. I have figured out how to avoid it for now, but I'm worried that it might get worse.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

I only have 12,800 so if you're at 16k+ then you have me beat.

I can't reproduce this issue as easily as Byram.
I'm sure I could drive more aggressively and it might happen more often.
Thankfully it's only been twice now since December.

I'll experiment and see what the results are.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck also has a 2-3 shifting issue. If it happens, it is always the first time it shifts from 2nd to 3rd after sitting for a few hours. It will shift out of 2nd, rev up for a second or two, then go into 3rd on its own, I don't need to lift off the throttle. It did scare me the first time it did it. Hopefully Ford can figure it out.

My truck was built on 12/8

Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by nut1605
My truck also has a 2-3 shifting issue. If it happens, it is always the first time it shifts from 2nd to 3rd after sitting for a few hours. It will shift out of 2nd, rev up for a second or two, then go into 3rd on its own, I don't need to lift off the throttle. It did scare me the first time it did it. Hopefully Ford can figure it out.

My truck was built on 12/8
THIS MAY HELP......

NEW TSB (11-3-23) FOR CEL AND SHIFT ISSUES
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Hope this is the one that finally fixed the shift issues....

FORD: 2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 10-23-9 to add additional calibration content.

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 3/14/2011 may exhibit malfunction indicator light (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) P0401, P0402, P009A if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached, P164A if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperatures, 2-3 transmission shift flares, harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up and tip-in events when at low speeds or coming to a stop. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the concern

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 71.05 and higher or 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements:

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)
DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)
DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached
False DTC P164A (O2 sensor positive current trim circuit performance (bank 1, sensor 1)) if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperature
2-3 transmission shift flares
Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up
Improved shift feel for tip-in events when at low speed or coming to a stop
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content included in IDS software release 69.07 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade
Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift
Harsh 2-3 upshift on first drive away of day after vehicle soak
DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running
Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground
VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash
DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)
False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)
False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)
False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)
DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting
False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)
DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS
False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)
False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)
False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)
False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)
False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)
False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)
Low speed/load engine surge
Abrupt engine shutdown feel
HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle
Delayed DEF level indication after refill event
Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts
Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts
Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing
Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear
Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode
Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously
Added SelectShift memory feature, so SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated
Added engine protection feature from overspeed while descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)
Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)
PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)
- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch in on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers
<!-- / message -->

Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Thanks for the TSB info.
I would have assumed this TSB was just for the DTC's related to the trucks in colder climates but happy to hear there are transmission calibrations, too.

Because of that I just sent an e-mail to my dealer's diesel service manager to see when he'll be ready to schedule my truck in for the update.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
i guess i have been lucky and have not experienced this problem!.. yet. the only thing i have noticed is sometimes it seems like it is trying to decide to shift from 3rd to 4th (rpm change) then doesnt, then decides to. its kind of odd but i think i also experienced it on my old truck. my question is tho, why didnt this 2nd to 3rd shift problem occur to ford when they were testing these trucks before the started selling them???

Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM
vrsc
Senior User
I have an H&S mini max in my 2011 6.7 and I started experiencing trans shifting problems! I need this updated PCM flash so what does this mean for me and my tuner? Can I get it or not?
H&S please assist

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by djjoshuad
I think you're a good candidate for a DashDAQ screen... $550 and it gives WAY more info than the productivity screen does. I'm probably going to be ordering one myself .
Is the DashDAQ simply a monitoring tool and nothing to do with a tuner or something that could upload any type of tune?
In their support section, I didn't find anything that does say it is a tuner.

It looks like a nice product if I know plugging it into the OBD2 port doesn't upset Ford and void my warranty since we know this truck logs certain events. I don't have experience with this device so I had to ask.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the DashDaq is a monitoring tool with upload capability (when enabled).. WHAT you upload depends on what its attached to. a secondary vendor (Spartan for PowerStroke) has to build the right stuff.. seems mazda and others can use it thru different vendors.

Sam

Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vrsc
I have an H&S mini max in my 2011 6.7 and I started experiencing trans shifting problems! I need this updated PCM flash so what does this mean for me and my tuner? Can I get it or not?
H&S please assist
I suspect like the rest you will have to remove the H&S tune and talk to H&S about a new tune based on this update..

Sam

Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Transmission temps:

At approx. 1/4 warm, temp is between 100 and 140º.

At normal temp (needle straight up) temps are between 175 and 200º.

I just happened to watch this the other day, was curious about how that gauge works.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by vrsc
H&S please assist
from what i heard i thought putting any tune on these new trucks voids the warranty?? can anyone else back that up or is this just a rumor??

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by blue oval fan
from what i heard i thought putting any tune on these new trucks voids the warranty?? can anyone else back that up or is this just a rumor??
The computer modules on this truck logs a lot of information.
I know cheezit and Paul discussed this a bit awhile back but IDK if it's know "what" is logged and when a certain event is triggered to keep it in long term storage vs purging unimportant data.
It's safe to say, this truck is logging what we do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues