6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
texas_21v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EZDad
My 2011 tranny works okay except for one thing. When it shifts into 3rd the RPMs climb normally and then it feels almost like a second shift happens. The indicator still says 3rd and the rpms drop slightly but then pick right up again until the shift to 4th. It's kinda like a hickup. This only happens in 3rd gear, 4th 5th and 6th shift fine. I have an aftermarket warranty which is supposed to be bumper to bumper so I'll have the dealer look at it. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Second question. A friend of mine who had the same year truck told me if you hide the indicator display by pushing the up button, the truck uses a different shift program and will get better gas mileage which didn't make much sense to me. If this were a feature it would be in the manual.
The "hiccup" you feel is the torque converter locking up. Normal behavior for this transmission.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM
EZDad
New User
The torque converter locks up on 3rd gear? Usually that doesn't happen until top gear in most grannies. Educate me please

Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
The torque converter locks up on 3rd gear? Usually that doesn't happen until top gear in most grannies. Educate me please
That hasn't been true for a long time now. The 4R100, introduced in 1997, was capable of locking up the torque converter in every forward gear. I haven't driven a car or truck in recent memory that doesn't lock the torque converter in the lower gears.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Lococoin
Freshman User
Yup and it will stay locked up until a really low rpm if u are coasting to a stop.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:47 PM
EZDad
New User
Good to know. Thanks for the knowledge.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2011 tranny works okay except for one thing. When it shifts into 3rd the RPMs climb normally and then it feels almost like a second shift happens. The indicator still says 3rd and the rpms drop slightly but then pick right up again until the shift to 4th. It's kinda like a hickup. This only happens in 3rd gear, 4th 5th and 6th shift fine. I have an aftermarket warranty which is supposed to be bumper to bumper so I'll have the dealer look at it. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Second question. A friend of mine who had the same year truck told me if you hide the indicator display by pushing the up button, the truck uses a different shift program and will get better gas mileage which didn't make much sense to me. If this were a feature it would be in the manual.
That's the first time I've heard that about the gear indicator. I can't see any benefit in Ford doing something like that and not publishing it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM
EZDad
New User
That's what I figured. My friend told me the service department told him that after working on his truck. It it were true it would have been an added feature on a reflash and I have never read anything about it so I gave him the same comment.

About that TQ lockup. My last truck was a GMC Sierra SLT with a 4 speed auto so that was my experience with truck trannies. Good to know it's working properly.

I will say that my 2011 F250 Super duty Lariat 6.7 beats the hell out of anything GM produces. I sat in a new 2500 and other than the steps in the bumper there was NOTHING I liked better. In fact it felt and looked nothing but cheap on the inside.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It doesn't make sense to you because it's simply not true. My 2011 F350 and '13 F150 have the same gear indicator, and it shifts the same regardless of whether it's showing or not. It just tells you what gear you're in, that's all.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Searsy
New User
New to site...man thread is old, but still very usable info. I just bought a 2011 f250 with 57k on her, she came with ford certified extended warranty. I bought knowing might have issues and with warranty Im not mad. I test drove it did not show signs of issues, but had to put thru the dealers lots in first. I then hit the main street which rolls straight into school zone. I guess I got her warm enough to make her not show her shift issues.

I have put about 1k miles on her and now she has the cold shift issues. She is going in to local dealer I purchased her at on Saturday. I love this truck and there seems to be a lot of TSB work out there I just hope they do the work. Tech guys acted like they new what was up and were very understanding and have a loaner waiting for me. fingers crossed...

oh can some please give me up to date tsb please

Old 10-22-2015, 09:57 PM
DevotedDad
Junior User
Searsy,

My 2012 was back to the dealer several times and they just never could get the shifting issues resolved. I don't fault the techs, as they can only do so much with regard to available firmware, etc. However there never was an offer to outright replace the transmission.

Long story short, I finally had enough and traded the 2012 for a 2015 KR which now has over 13,000 miles on it - not a bit of trouble with the truck or the transmission.

DevotedDad

Originally Posted by Searsy
New to site...man thread is old, but still very usable info. I just bought a 2011 f250 with 57k on her, she came with ford certified extended warranty. I bought knowing might have issues and with warranty Im not mad. I test drove it did not show signs of issues, but had to put thru the dealers lots in first. I then hit the main street which rolls straight into school zone. I guess I got her warm enough to make her not show her shift issues.

I have put about 1k miles on her and now she has the cold shift issues. She is going in to local dealer I purchased her at on Saturday. I love this truck and there seems to be a lot of TSB work out there I just hope they do the work. Tech guys acted like they new what was up and were very understanding and have a loaner waiting for me. fingers crossed...

oh can some please give me up to date tsb please

Old 10-23-2015, 08:10 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...I have put about 1k miles on her and now she has the cold shift issues. She is going in to local dealer I purchased her at on Saturday. I love this truck and there seems to be a lot of TSB work out there I just hope they do the work. Tech guys acted like they new what was up and were very understanding and have a loaner waiting for me...
Welcome to the forum, Searsy! It sounds like your dealership is on top of things right now, but if you need help after your appointment, just say the word. I'll be happy to assist.

Crystal

Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Searsy
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Searsy! It sounds like your dealership is on top of things right now, but if you need help after your appointment, just say the word. I'll be happy to assist.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal.. I have already started a case with ford. I hope with this issue being nearly 5 years old the dealer will just perform the latest TSB. I also hope they don't pull the standard "it's normal performance or we couldn't repeat issue". It does the shift flares 2-3 and 4 -5 and hard hamming shift into reverse every morning, trans temp 80 - 105 degrees. I know the latest TSB states replace all solenoids and reprogram PCM, trucks built prior to Nov 10 2011. My build is 6/2010

Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Crystal.. I have already started a case with ford. I hope with this issue being nearly 5 years old the dealer will just perform the latest TSB...
Hi Searsy,

If you'd like, I'll check out your case and see if there's anything additional I can do to help from my end. Since you're new, you may not have PM access yet. Send an email to custserv@ford.com with your case number; please put my name ("Crystal") in the subject line. Post here once you've sent it so I'll know to go looking for your message.

Crystal