6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pbruckne
I'll ask the product concern engineer for a status update.

-Paul

Thanks, Paul. We really do appreciate your help.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
bobert2412
Freshman User
I was pulling a 9700lb flatbed with a 13000lb tractor loaded. After a few hundred miles through East Texas (some pretty good hills) I experienced hard downshifting; seemingly affected by intermittent de-fueling. Boost would drop to 0, then return to 30+ within a few miliseconds (during downshift). Then after stopping for a traffic light; during hard acceleration accross busy intersection truck just sputtered and died. After restart, experienced the same symptoms twice more during the trip. CEL tripped. Code showed lack of communication between controller (computer) and fuel injectors. Dealer found chafed wire and rewrapped wire. Problem solved so far. Just that now I have a fear of this problem cropping up again. No confidence. Perhaps I should try and get the new flash done when available? Thanks for all the input on this issue.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll ask the product concern engineer for a status update.

-Paul
Thanks Paul,its great to have someone on the "inside" that can help with issue's.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RPARKER559
Pulling out of the driveway yesterday and right before 2nd gear, my transmission did as some of the rest of you, It just went away for a few seconds then picked back up. Scary as hell when you are pulling into a major highway.
Mine did that only once so far. Same as you. Scared the heck out of me. TransTemp was 140deg
I had just got off the Interstate and took a break while traveling just before it did it. So hot temps and then rest then start up and pull away= missed shift? Only happened once like I said in 11K miles.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I was able to confirm that short of any last minute changes, KTP will receive the revised production calibration on 4/15, then a TSB (currently being drafted) along with the IDS service calibration on or about 4/20. Note that this update was provided to me just this morning.

-Paul

Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 AM
6.7Fan
Senior User
I was able to confirm that short of any last minute changes, KTP will receive the revised production calibration on 4/15, then a TSB (currently being drafted) along with the IDS service calibration on or about 4/20. Note that this update was provided to me just this morning.

-Paul

Fantastic - thanks again! I'm looking forward to it!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

-Paul
Thank you Paul for the time you take out of your schedule to provide us with these status reports.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
A few months ago I pulled the power on the truck to "reset" the adaptive shifting tables.

It was explained to me that what I did was meaningless, and the explanation (kinda) made sense.

However, my truck is now shifting really rough, in almost every gear. I wonder if the shift pressures got programmed in there when the weather was cold and now that it is warm out the pressures are not valid. You would need more pressure to shift cold fluid right? More pressure equals harder shifts, right?

In my experiment, after I reset the computer, the truck drove very well. (It was driving a lot better even before the experiment. As time goes by the shifting is just getting worse, which really concerns me.)

I never had a problem with 4-5 until 2 or 3 weeks ago. It shifts okay sometimes but other times it is brutal. 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 have been rough for a long time. I even experienced a brutal 5-6 on a very very slow accelleration where I was at 41-42MPH for a very long time and then I crested a hill which probably dropped the load enough to command a shift. It felt like it just dumped the clutch like a nervous student driver stuck on an uphill intersection.

Even though it might not make sense, I'm pulling the power tomorrow. The truck is nearly undriveable right now. I am not expecting a silky smooth transmission. My wife has one of those in her 2011 V6 Escape. But I do not expect to cringe at every shift.

On the highway, in manual mode, locked in 6th, all is well. Too bad I cannot do all my driving like that.

FWIW, I have only experienced 1 shift "flare" in the 9,000 miles I have had the truck. That "flare" scared me pretty good, though.

I'd give my left ******** for a first gear lockout.

Put the gear selector in 2 instead of D or put it in M3 to avoid the first gear.

FWIW, you can keep the family jewel.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
srosa
Junior User

Originally Posted by marchare011
FWIW, you can keep the family jewel.
Agreed. I want first gear lockout too but Lefty isn't going anywhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I'm glad that we're all (mostly) still "intact"

Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Xyzzy
Senior User
Pulling the power did not help.

What really confuses me is why the transmission used to shift so much better before? It was never perfect, like I have always had the 1-2 and 2-3 harshness and the vague floaty I-have-no-idea-if-I-should-shift-or-not, but I never had harshness with 3-4 or 4-5.

So why has it changed?

Something else I have noticed is before shifting accellerated in a linear manner, and "getting on it" made it shift better. Now, when it (abruptly) goes to a new gear it surges forward. I think it revs out in "neutral" between each shift now. (Not the crazy overrev, just a small one.)

Once this is fixed I will be happy. I expected a few issues with a first year model. I "bought in" because this is a completely Ford powertrain and because Ford did not take any government funds. While I do have a few other minor annoyances, I can easily live with them.

I sure hope the new TSB works!

PS - First gear lockout: Compromise and lock out 1st in normal mode and unlock it in Tow/Haul mode. I'll still give up a body part.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
machine62
Senior User
PS - First gear lockout: Compromise and lock out 1st in normal mode and unlock it in Tow/Haul mode.
Agreed....

Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Pulling the power did not help.

What really confuses me is why the transmission used to shift so much better before? It was never perfect, like I have always had the 1-2 and 2-3 harshness and the vague floaty I-have-no-idea-if-I-should-shift-or-not, but I never had harshness with 3-4 or 4-5.

So why has it changed?

Something else I have noticed is before shifting accellerated in a linear manner, and "getting on it" made it shift better. Now, when it (abruptly) goes to a new gear it surges forward. I think it revs out in "neutral" between each shift now. (Not the crazy overrev, just a small one.)

Once this is fixed I will be happy. I expected a few issues with a first year model. I "bought in" because this is a completely Ford powertrain and because Ford did not take any government funds. While I do have a few other minor annoyances, I can easily live with them.

I sure hope the new TSB works!

PS - First gear lockout: Compromise and lock out 1st in normal mode and unlock it in Tow/Haul mode. I'll still give up a body part.
I think some of the permutations are due to the way the transmission learned through adaptive learning. I'm sure someone can explain how it does what it does. My understanding was that it learned through monitoring how we drive, environmental conditions and other factors important for it to make the right shifting decision. The limits and perhaps the logic is being addressed in the flash.

I also started out with no noticeable shifting issues and now I am seeing a temperature related low gear shifting smoothness problem and a constant 4/5 hard shift regardless of temperature.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I think it may be more of an issue with the transmission breaking in. A couple people have pulled the power in an attempt to reset that learning process, without any resolution to the problem.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
I was one that tried the disconnect but didn't see much if any change. I'm just patiently waiting for the flash and hoping we'll be able to start a new thread praising the results.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues