6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Auto Transmission Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
6.7 fan all it needs is the camber adjusted,very easy to do.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Seeing that I obviously have a motive for sugar coating issues, I will withdraw from these sort of threads. No sense wasting my time...but what is my motive????
That's your call, Ric, but pulling away due to one post from a low count poster doesn't make much sense to me and may make some feel (not me) that it strengthens his thought. Ignore it and move on, bud.

Boys...if you're having an issue, call the dealer, ask them to document it in your file, send a registered letter to Ford and the dealer and keep detailed records (video if you can do that) for your own protection. While I'm sure Ford will resolve this, better to err on the side of caution and protect yourselves.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM
defiant
New User
Originally Posted by Byram
yea I had mine miss the normal shift - (2-3) & this time I let off the gas for a minute -a few seconds later started giving it throttle & WHAM it "clunked" into 4th.. Pretty nasty sounding... I guess I had better check my fluid more often..
Well pulling out of the driveway empty this morning and this is exactly what happened to me except I had to pull over because the 3 - 4 shift never happened. Truck stayed in 3 until I pulled over. Started out again truck shifted fine 1-2 then 2-3 and then after reving to almost redline WHAM and it clunked into 4th. Not a good feeling is all I got say. I haven't had the chance to check my fluid but I'm sure going to tonight...

Joe

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
Same here

I've noticed this transmission issue almost from the week I purchased by 350 last July. I've been on extended business travel lately but noticed it again when I returned.
I called two dealerships and they both very easily played dumb.
A couple of questions:
1. Is there a later flash after the 400/800 flash? If so, does it address this issue?

2. (While I detest having to compensate for faulty technology) Is there a way of driving that would minimize the obvious slam on the transmission when this occurs?

Thanks, It's good to be back on the forum

Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Med Sun
Freshman User
Add me to the list as well. I had a very harsh shift the other day going from 2nd to 3rd. Also I have the hunting problem from 2nd to 3rd as well as the long shift period from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when you first drive it after extended down time.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
so ric, that is like 20 people now just on this board alone, I suppose the problem isn't wide spread.

just be subjective and don't bleed so much ford blue, LOL

Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Wow...it appears that I'm in the minority in this thread. No funny shifting yet, but I only have 9K on it so far...

I'll be paying attention for this sort of issue, this seems to be common enough to be unsettling. Rick, have you scanned your truck and seen the trouble code?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by White Knight 2011
I've noticed this transmission issue almost from the week I purchased by 350 last July. I've been on extended business travel lately but noticed it again when I returned.
I called two dealerships and they both very easily played dumb.
A couple of questions:
1. Is there a later flash after the 400/800 flash? If so, does it address this issue?

2. (While I detest having to compensate for faulty technology) Is there a way of driving that would minimize the obvious slam on the transmission when this occurs?

Thanks, It's good to be back on the forum
1.) Yes there was a flash for the TCM and PCM released in either November or December (I had both modules flashed in December).
I can't exactly remember the TSB for it right now but it may have been the 10-23-9 release.
It does address this issue but did not resolve it.

2.) I have had this happen with different styles of driving so it's hard to prevent it.
What I consider normal is keeping it under 2,000 RPM with steady acceleration (not putt-putting or hard acceleration).

The truck seems to prefer the 1,800 to 1,900 RPM shifts for the first 3-4 gears.
5th and 6th are never an issue and if I remember correctly and haven't been with my truck.
Too low of RPM during a shift causes the shift and lurch.

Since most of the time this happens when the transmission has cooled off, you want to take it easy accelerating anyways.
But I've had the issue with the entire truck at OT, too.

Lots of words, hard to explain.
I've tried to learn when the truck will normally shift based on RPM's and my right foot.
Everyone drives differently so you might be able to figure out, depending on the conditions and your right foot, how your truck behaves with different levels of accleration.

I've been using manual mode more often, too.
This is where I discovered the issue exists when in manual mode the other day (only worse) when I forced a shift command to the TCM.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Noah2010
Junior User
While I have been following this thread closely since the beginning ,I have been waiting for my transmission to do something funny and it hasn't.....up until now. 1000 mi on the truck, built in Jan, not a single issue on anything. However, last evening it happened.

While pulling away from a light, up a mild grade, the "Exhaust Cleaning" message flashed, just as I lifted my foot from the brake to the gas pedal, and the transmission went bonkers. While accelerating up the slight hill it purely acted as if it didn't know what gear it wanted to find. It continued as if it was confused, until I finally let off the gas and everything was fine.

It instantly occured to me there were two tasks on the network at exactly the same time and there was a collision of network traffic resulting in what I refer to as "Bits Falling Out Of The Bit Bucket". I really wonder if this was just pure coincidence.

Now add my name to the list of the legions awaiting the FOMC response.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
there shouldn't have been any collisions since it's a bus, not a full-on network. Things get dropped into a queue to be processed by the appropriate handlers. I am not saying it was coincidence, just perhaps better explained in another way. For instance, it may be that the active regen cycle exacerbated the conditions which were already leaning towards causing the issue.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noah2010
While I have been following this thread closely since the beginning ,I have been waiting for my transmission to do something funny and it hasn't.....up until now. 1000 mi on the truck, built in Jan, not a single issue on anything. However, last evening it happened.

While pulling away from a light, up a mild grade, the "Exhaust Cleaning" message flashed, just as I lifted my foot from the brake to the gas pedal, and the transmission went bonkers. While accelerating up the slight hill it purely acted as if it didn't know what gear it wanted to find. It continued as if it was confused, until I finally let off the gas and everything was fine.

It instantly occured to me there were two tasks on the network at exactly the same time and there was a collision of network traffic resulting in what I refer to as "Bits Falling Out Of The Bit Bucket". I really wonder if this was just pure coincidence.

Now add my name to the list of the legions awaiting the FOMC response.
Nice observation. There's so many computer driven factors on these trucks, I can see where your logic might come into play. My truck has calmed down a bit since the latest pcm flash last month. Still a little quirky at times. Steady acceleration puts a smile on my face everytime. Tranny is smooth as silk when I just steadily continue to accelerate. Can't run around like that all the time tho. Hope FOMOCO finds the cure soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
machine62
Senior User
Ironically I had my first tranmission shifting issue on my way to the dealer yesterday for round #2 on recall 10S14. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd it missed the shift and the engine reved up until I let of the pedal. I also continue to experience harsh shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. I let the tech know and he was aware of the problem and told me to check back in a couple of weeks. I hope there is a fix soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
defiant
New User
Well, gents checked my fluid this morning and all seems ok for now. Called dealership to get an appointment to have them look at the truck and the Service representative told me Ford was aware of the problem and I asked him if I should keep driving the truck since I'm concerned about possible transmission damage, to which he replied "I would try not drive it as much as possible if I were you but if you do your truck is still under warranty"

Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Noah2010
Junior User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
there shouldn't have been any collisions since it's a bus, not a full-on network. Things get dropped into a queue to be processed by the appropriate handlers. I am not saying it was coincidence, just perhaps better explained in another way. For instance, it may be that the active regen cycle exacerbated the conditions which were already leaning towards causing the issue.
Question? Are there "interupts" involved in servicing the queue?

I am fairly confident I do not understand the truck brain architecture and I am sure I wont solve the issue I had, I am confident FORD can and will.

Just wondering.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by machine62
Ironically I had my first tranmission shifting issue on my way to the dealer yesterday for round #2 on recall 10S14. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd it missed the shift and the engine reved up until I let of the pedal. I also continue to experience harsh shifts from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. I let the tech know and he was aware of the problem and told me to check back in a couple of weeks. I hope there is a fix soon.
Machine - what was the build date of your truck. Your symptoms are very close to mine (built 12/5). The 2/3 harsh shift gets better after the tranny hits 140 but the 4/5 is a constant regardless of tranny temp.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Shifting Issues