1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

66 Short Styleside

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tbucket
Great looking truck. One question though; What is a slick?
Thanks.

"Slick" refers to the 61-66 F100s, especially those with the styleside beds. They have a slick-sided look. I'd never heard them referred to as slicks until I joined this forum but it's a cool way to refer to, what I consider to be, the best looking Ford pickups ever made.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Tbucket
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Choice

As it turns out I guess I ended up with a good combination. When I got the truck I got a styleside bed as an extra part while there is a step side bed on the truck. Thanks for the information. I plan on finishing the styleside bed to match the rest of the truck, giving me the choice of changing up when I want.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tbucket
As it turns out I guess I ended up with a good combination. When I got the truck I got a styleside bed as an extra part while there is a step side bed on the truck. Thanks for the information. I plan on finishing the styleside bed to match the rest of the truck, giving me the choice of changing up when I want.
That will be a cool option to have....one I wouldn't mind having myself.

IMHO, Ford didn't do the best job in designing the stepside beds...the top of the bed is too high, and should be right above the rear fenders like the 54-86 Chevy stepsides. However, they're still cool looking and very practical.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by shortwide
That will be a cool option to have....one I wouldn't mind having myself.

IMHO, Ford didn't do the best job in designing the stepside beds...the top of the bed is too high, and should be right above the rear fenders like the 54-86 Chevy stepsides. However, they're still cool looking and very practical.
The same thought about the sides being to high has always bugged me too.
Has anybody ever done a bed chop?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 PM
thenap1
Freshman User
looks pretty solid, good luck!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Tbucket
Freshman User
Thanks for the comments. Once all is completed I will probably make a final decission about the bed I like best.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
shortwide
Elder User
So...after a few days of ownership, a very thorough inspection and a commute back and forth to work in Houston traffic, I've started discovering the good and the bad about this slick.

The good:
- The body is, for the most part, very solid and there is no evidence of any prior wrecks, etc.
- The brakes and steering are excellent and very tight
- The interior and glass are in excellent condition
- All of the electricals work, with one exception
- It attracts a HUGE amount of attention on the road

The bad:
- I did find some rust in the body supports that are under the doors. It's not a huge amount and can be fixed without removing the cab, but it is there.
- The rubber is horrible....and by "the rubber", I mean ALL of it. I guess that's the trade off for a solid Oklahoma body....the same dry climate that preserved the body, didn't do the rubber any favors in 45 years.
- I'm thinking that the valve train may need some attention some time soon. I'm not going to pass judgement on this until I replace a lifter and do an adjustment tomorrow after work, but I suspect I'm right.
- The carburetor is going to need a full replacement. I rebuilt it over the weekend, but sitting for many, many years and the botched "rebuild" job that the dealer had done to it, have taken their toll.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the little shorty and consider the problems to be minor and readily fixable.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
shortwide
Elder User
After a week of ownership and finally working out the bugs in my carburetion and valves, I am LOVING owning a slick again!!!

I should've never sold my last one in '91, but this little sweetheart has more than made up for it.

Not only is the straight six uber-torquey but the 3-speed on the column just makes me smile every time I drive it.

And....the attention that this truck gets is incredible. The last time I had a slick was 20 years ago and I guess they were more like plain-old used trucks at the time, but now....these things really stand out in traffic as genuine antiques. And the smiles and thumbs-up that I get are a lot of fun. You'd think that I was hauling around a bed full of strippers or something.

There's still a lot to do with the truck....mainly replacing nearly ALL of the rubber, but wow....I knew I'd enjoy it, but it's suprised me how much.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 AM
shortwide
Elder User
I've decided to use this thread as the ongoing report about my progress on this truck.

My plan is to drive it pretty much as is, with some continual minor improvements, until I finish my 54 Ford tudor. During that time frame, I'll probably have the front bumper straightened and repainted and repaint the rear bumper and all of the hubcaps.

After my 54 is on the road, I'll do the following to the F100:

- Pull the front clip
- Pull the engine and transmission and, if needed, have the valves and rings done
- Clean and repaint the engine and transmission
- Clean and repaint the frame and front suspension
- Clean and repaint the inner fender panels.
- Re-install the front clip with original paint intact
- Install new rubber in the doors and glass

Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
shortwide
Elder User
I got brave yesterday after work and took the 66 on a 6 hour long-distance run (3 hours each way), to pick up a large air-compressor for my shop.

The 66 did great.....the only issue was one that I created. When I adjusted the valves a couple days ago, I didn't have a new valve cover gasket so I made one out of RTV. It didn't seal well, and I ended up leaking a good quantity of oil, which sprayed all over everything in the engine bay.

No big deal though. I'll pick up a new gasket after work today and get it installed, then take the 66 to the car wash and clean up my mess under the hood.

On a side note, I ran SeaFoam in the oil during the trip. The oil was new when I left and black when I got back. That stuff sure pulled a lot of gunk out of the engine. I'll be draining and changing the oil this evening as well.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM
shortwide
Elder User
The only thing electric that was non-functional on my 66 when I bought it was the fuel gauge.

This weekend, I pulled the sender and immediately noticed the thoroughly trashed float.

Hmmm, I thought....that float looks just like an extra one I have for my 54 tudor.

So, I go to my pile of parts, and not only is it a close match, it's an EXACT match! I popped on the new float, re-installed the sender, turned the key on and dang if the gauge didn't start working.

You gotta LOVE it when repairs cost nothing and only take a few minutes.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM
shortwide
Elder User
After driving the 66 in Houston rush hour traffic for almost a month now, I've made the decision that I definitely want to go with power steering and disc brakes.

The drums are ok, and I'm a pretty careful driver, but the discs would be a big help.

The power steering thing is me just being lazy....plus my wife wants to drive it some and doesn't like horsing the thing around in parking lots.

So....the hunt is on for a suitable donor truck from the 70s.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
SandmanAz
Freshman User
The power steering thing is me just being lazy....plus my wife wants to drive it some and doesn't like horsing the thing around in parking lots.
I hear ya, the first thing I'm going to do is the power steering conversion. I backed up the truck on my driveway last week after picking up a air compresser and my arms were so sore. I have no idea how they managed this back in the day... I guess I've just gotten so used to power steering.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
After driving the 66 in Houston rush hour traffic for almost a month now, I've made the decision that I definitely want to go with power steering and disc brakes.
I'm under the impression that the highest priority brake upgrade to a stock 1966 F100 is to install a dual chamber master cylinder? If that is the case then there's that as well. A pair of front disc brakes and I-beams were just for sale by me and made me drool a lot but I had to pass them up. Good luck with finding your brakes and stuff. What are good donor makes and models for PS/PB upgrade for the 1966 with a 240? Will Broncos with 300s and PS/PB work?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Some Photos of My 66

Here are some photos I took today

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 66 Short Styleside