6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Those of you with stacks, I got a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of you with stacks, I got a question

What did you do for a bed liner? I have a plastic one in there now and do not really want to cut it up so i was trying to figure out some other ideas. I am worried about when i get my 6'' black meiter cut stacks (be here friday) that i would melt the front of the liner if i just cut around the hole in the bed for the pipe to come through. Or if you did cut something out of yours, where at and how much did you remove? Any reccomendations? Pics are welcomed

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont have stacks but i have a buddy with 8" stacks and you can hold your hand on them after a 2 hour trip and they are just warm.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 AM
BRay09
Cargo Master
What about the Ypipe that comes in through the bed? I would assume that this would be the hottest spot and my melt/burn the bed liner if not removed/cut out

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 PM
fordmudderone
Junior User
Ive seen them ran with the plastic bedliners in place just leave about 1" or so gap around the piping and bedliner I also run twin 8" miters and get out and grab the stacks it gets hotter the farther down in the bed you go. But im not sure how hot it actually is never measured it.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
I really dont care about numbers here, i was just wondering what eveyone did to protect their bed. Cutting a hole in the liner will leave somewhere water and dirt can get into and cause rusting issues. Unless i seal it some how... Thinking out loud here

Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Have you ever seen pics of a truck bed after a liner was removed? They are not exactly water tight and rub all the paint etc off. If your that concerned about it pull the liner and get it sprayed. It's not the answer your looking for but my .02

Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rob.D
Have you ever seen pics of a truck bed after a liner was removed? They are not exactly water tight and rub all the paint etc off. If your that concerned about it pull the liner and get it sprayed. It's not the answer your looking for but my .02
That costs money!! And im cheap. Maybe ill just keep the liner in and cut where the pipes are and silicone it to the bed. Or something along those lines. self tappers, something

Old 03-15-2011, 03:17 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
or return the stacks and get bed liner first thats a possibility

Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
motor-man
Senior User
Like stated, at that point (in the bed) it's really not that hot...If you've got a 4'' pipe, cut a 5'' hole...i really don't think a slightly hot/melted liner is a big deal!! deal with it. As far as i know a bed liner is not sealed anyways? Like said, if your worried about your liner, stacks aren't for you...you'r cutting a HOLE in your bed!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Elvis40
Senior User
I run a bedliner with mine, no heat issue to speak, it will melt an ice bag or grocery bag on they Y pipe.

Here's what i did if that helps. I routed exhaust under the truck. Determined location for hole in bed. Removed bedliner. Drilled 1 small hole in bed on the center of the pipe. From the top of the bed, used a compass, drew a circle (approx 1 " bigger Dia.) and sawzalled hole, lightly installed stacks checked for clearance.

Removed stacks, reinstalled bedliner, drew a circle onto bedliner with paint pen from underneath, removed bedliner, cut circle SMALLER than the hole in the bed, reinstalled everything and filed what little plastic needed it.

The gap between the stack pipe and the bedliner is small, but since the bedliner hole is smaller than the bed hole, water from in the bed should technically run past the bed onto ground. Now i'm sure i'm getting stuff thrown up from underneath getting into the "grooves" of the bed.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Elvis40
I run a bedliner with mine, no heat issue to speak, it will melt an ice bag or grocery bag on they Y pipe.

Here's what i did if that helps. I routed exhaust under the truck. Determined location for hole in bed. Removed bedliner. Drilled 1 small hole in bed on the center of the pipe. From the top of the bed, used a compass, drew a circle (approx 1 " bigger Dia.) and sawzalled hole, lightly installed stacks checked for clearance.

Removed stacks, reinstalled bedliner, drew a circle onto bedliner with paint pen from underneath, removed bedliner, cut circle SMALLER than the hole in the bed, reinstalled everything and filed what little plastic needed it.

The gap between the stack pipe and the bedliner is small, but since the bedliner hole is smaller than the bed hole, water from in the bed should technically run past the bed onto ground. Now i'm sure i'm getting stuff thrown up from underneath getting into the "grooves" of the bed.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! thats exactly something i needed to hear

Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
sullyt28
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but didn't want to start a new one.

Just curious, if you run stacks I'm assuming no Cat and no muffler. Is this not loud especially with the stacks being so close to the cab ?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
SHAWN056.0
Senior User
I cut a square hole out in my bed with a cut off wheel. That way if I ever decide to get rid of the stack I can always weld the square back into the hole. Try getting your truck up to running temperature and get under the truck and touch your exhaust with some plastic near the opening of where your exhaust is gonna turn up. That'll tell ya if it's gonna be real hot.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM
BigHinAK
New User
Originally Posted by Elvis40

Hope this helps.
Is that really a word? I dunno...I LIKE IT THOUGH.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
BRay09
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sullyt28
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but didn't want to start a new one.

Just curious, if you run stacks I'm assuming no Cat and no muffler. Is this not loud especially with the stacks being so close to the cab ?
In my buddy's truck with 7" stacks,its hard to hold a conversation with anyone when he is in the throttle, but at highway speeds its OK

Quick Reply: Those of you with stacks, I got a question