Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nstueve
It would seem like someone would eventually catch on... All you need is the headlight bucket and lense... You don't really need the black bracket and turn signal that you have to buy as a set everywhere... I wouldn't be opposed to buying just the buckets with new lenses for $40 or $50 per side... It's just rediculous to spend $150-$200 just to get rid of clowdy lenses... It would seem like a distributor would catch on and just sell the sealed bucket... I know I'm not the only one to think this...
I'm totally with you on this one. It's freaking ridiculous that these lights cost so much. I purchased an assembly at a local pick-a-part for $20.00. The mounting bracket is cracked at one of the mounting holes, and the side marker lens is also cracked. But I plan on just using the head light portion anyway. My only concern is if the light will need to be re-aimed; but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
J1nx93
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just restore them. Here's a good thread for a complete and GOOD restoration

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nstueve
I'd love to know where to get just the lenses! With my old trucks it wouldn't be hard to pry loose the lense itself and glue a new one on... Lets us know if you find a place that sells just the lenses!!!!!
You can't buy just the lenses because the lens and the back are a fused piece. In production they are heated together to create a seal.

What happens to the lenses over time is,that the plastic deteriorates from the elements and oxidizes. You can restore them with a restore kit, but usually after 6 months the lens will turn cloudy again, and you'll need to zap them one more time.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
On some of the older headlights such as these they used to glue them. On the newer cars and trucks they're fused with heat because it's a better way to seal the beam.

I've also restored many lenses in my fathers auto body shop over the years, and I've also help manufactures test fit and create tooling for new parts along the way.

Hey, I was just trying to help you guys understand why just lenses might not be available for your vehicle, and the reason behind it.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tony,

Can you find out why the entire assembly has to be purchased when just the head light bucket is the only thing needed? Maybe the bucket is the major part of the cost, I don't know. And maybe the entire assembly needs to be removed to get to the bucket anyway; so why not replace the entire assembly is the mentality for it being sold as such (manufacturer's way of thinking?).

Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ATony
On some of the older headlights such as these they used to glue them. On the newer cars and trucks they're fused with heat because it's a better way to seal the beam.

I've also restored many lenses in my fathers auto body shop over the years, and I've also help manufactures test fit and create tooling for new parts along the way.

Hey, I was just trying to help you guys understand why just lenses might not be available for your vehicle, and the reason behind it.

Either way I wasn't talking about just a lense... Even though lenses would be easy to replaced themselves on our old trucks b/c after 20+ years the glue that sealed them is letting loose anyhow... The above pic I posted has the top headlight resealed with silicone after I polished both sides.

Anyway, I was talking about being able to buy the lense and bucket (sealed unit) alone... The pieces I don't want nor need are the black frame that mount the headlamp (and turn signal) to the core support or the turn signal. If you ask me if it can be dismantled the individual pieces should be sold seperate... There is no reason that you should have to buy a new turnsignal and plastic mounting base for the whole unit when just the sealed headlight bucket could be sold seperate.

I can guarentee you Tony... if you guys sold the individual pieces and not the whole head lamp assembly.... There would be a TON more guys buying the cheap sealed buckets from you. I would have been one of them... the only reason I polished up my units is because I am unwilling to spend $200 on new headlamp assemblies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ed Bamba
Tony,

Can you find out why the entire assembly has to be purchased when just the head light bucket is the only thing needed? Maybe the bucket is the major part of the cost, I don't know. And maybe the entire assembly needs to be removed to get to the bucket anyway; so why not replace the entire assembly is the mentality for it being sold as such (manufacturer's way of thinking?).

x2^^^^^^^ thanks ed! My sentiments exactly! You do need to remove the assembly in order to dismantle it and remove the bucket (and/or turn signal) but there is no reason to need a replacement black mounting frame or the turnsignal! unless you hit a deer and they are broke...

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
If there was an easy way to seperate the two,then there would be a lens kit on the market for all kinds on lenses,but to accomplish that you would need to heat up the entire light,and to do that without warping the bucket would be tricky for a customer to do.

Then to seal them again you would need to glue them back. It's not the easiest of processes for the average person to try and do.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
your not getting it tony... On our trucks the $100/headlight assembly that you guys sell is the lense/bucket, black mounting frame, and turn signal. All of these 3 can be disassembled very easily... YET the only way to buy a new bucket/lesnse is with the black frame and turn signal attached....

We don't want those two attached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we just want the lense and bucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
swampbusiness94
Freshman User
if just your headlight lens are dirty i wouldnt spend all that much on some new headlights i would go get some cleaner from the local part store and if needed get some new bulbs.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
well that's kinda the point new bulbs $20 and polish kit $20... =$40 plus you have time invested polishing them... I would rather have spent $60-$80 on just the lense and buckets and bolted them in. Saves time and is only marginally more expensive... But the only way to get the lense and buckets is to spend $150minimum.... Not really worth it now...

Heck! The 80-86's have aftermarket buckets that replace the OEM big bulbs with halogen or even HID kits. Why can't we get something like this for our 87-91's??????

Hella H4 Conversion Headlights 200mm toyota chevy ford - eBay (item 280643466427 end time Mar-19-11 21:04:24 PDT)

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Another reason I stay in the 92-96 range....My headlights in my 94' only costed $65 SHIPPED to the house...New bulbs an everything...

-Wes

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
nope not really since the crystal view kit can be bouth at walmart for $17 and do both headlights and only take about 45 minutes...

so new bulbs $50 and $20 for the kit

$70 and ur good as new...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I HAD new for $65...lol

-Wes

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru