General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

for those worried about reactors in Japan...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
Things do seem to be getting a bit dicier. The Japanese PM is now telling people near the plants to stay indoors. Radiation levels are rising, apparently after the latest explosion.

Japan PM: Radiation leaking from damaged plant - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

It does sound as if the Japanese reactors are well designed from a safety aspect -- and that is no real surprise.

I do remember reading something in Popular Science to the effect that you could go to a Russian nuclear plant and see the workings of the plant through the water. Under normal circumstances, there is no danger. (ooops)

I know that there is a lot of media hype, but there is no doubt that Japan took it in the shorts on this one.

hj
Actually, US Submarine reactor compartments are shielded with lead and sea water. These are the two best sources to reduce or eliminate exposure. The Soviets are not well known for nuclear safety by any stretch of the imagination.

My biggest concern would be to keep the fuel rods cool after the fact.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
Things do seem to be getting a bit dicier. The Japanese PM is now telling people near the plants to stay indoors. Radiation levels are rising, apparently after the latest explosion.

Japan PM: Radiation leaking from damaged plant - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

It does sound as if the Japanese reactors are well designed from a safety aspect -- and that is no real surprise.

I do remember reading something in Popular Science to the effect that you could go to a Russian nuclear plant and see the workings of the plant through the water. Under normal circumstances, there is no danger. (ooops)

I know that there is a lot of media hype, but there is no doubt that Japan took it in the shorts on this one.

hj
Yes, under "normal conditions", there was no problem with the Chernobyl style Soviet reactor, but when what is happening now in Japan happened there, everything in the pool, the whole "pile" was ejected through the roof of the plant.........not good.
The Russians are just as smart as anyone else, they just have different sensibilities and priorities when it comes to safety.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldogchief
..it is not ionizing radiation...
If only the majority knew what this actually meant... This and other fear mongering could be avoided.

Stay in school kids.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6

(but it might cause a run on potassium iodine tablets).
You called it......

U.S. Drug Stores Report Sudden Increase in Potassium Iodide Sales - FoxNews.com

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My opinion of the lame stream media has sunk to a new low...............

Local media here has reported "Nuclear explosion in Japan!"...and shown pics of the hydrogen gas explosion at one of the reactors, that slightly resembled a mushroom cloud.
Trotting out a few local "experts" from the university on radiation, fallout, and potassium iodine tablets............Way to fan the fear and mis-information fires.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry I've read on one of the doom and gloom conspiracy sites that some crew members have already suffered radiation sickness and are being transported back home but it is all being kept top secret. Of course those type of people will generally fall for the nonsense, but I can expect to see a lot more of it.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Now they're reporting that the remaining 50 employees have "gone home". Me thinks it would be better if a few had stuck around to mind the store.