Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Boost leak detector - PICS!

This is sooooo cheap and simple I cannot believe I've not done it until now...

3" PVC cap tapped for a schrader valve:
Click the image to open in full size.

You could get all fancy and tap a pressure gauge in there too - but its totally not necessary. The CCV, VC's, etc are gonna leak some and bleed the pressure down, so we just blow up the intake tubing until it looks uncomfortably inflated and start sprayin' soapy water and listening...

Remove airbox (or in my case 6637) and clamp PVC in place, then blow compressed air in and spray all boots, etc with soapy water:

I'm willing to bet more people have leaks than think they do... Most of that 'dirty engine' syndrome can be mitigated by eliminating leaks found with this EASY test.

Thanks to Jim (rat49F6) for loaning me this tool and all the other help he's been to me since I've been in NJ!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Post Fiend

BillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to allBillyBob69 is a name known to all
Great tip!
Reps given!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/billybob69_photo/90x90_email_signature_HIGHMILER-1.png
Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Elder User

ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.ScaldedDog has a great reputation on FTE.
Dumb question, but where'd you get the Schrader valve?

Mark
2001 Excursion 4x4, Western Diesel gauges, custom tunes, T500, ATS housing, TM wastegate controller, 6637, MBRP 4" exhaust, 6.0 tranny cooler, BTS, BFG AT 275/70-18's, Red Head steering box, Hellwig sway bar, v-codes/AirLift bags
Old 03-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason View Post
This is sooooo cheap and simple I cannot believe I've not done it until now...

3" PVC cap tapped for a schrader valve:

You could get all fancy and tap a pressure gauge in there too - but its totally not necessary. The CCV, VC's, etc are gonna leak some and bleed the pressure down, so we just blow up the intake tubing until it looks uncomfortably inflated and start sprayin' soapy water and listening...

Remove airbox (or in my case 6637) and clamp PVC in place, then blow compressed air in and spray all boots, etc with soapy water:

I'm willing to bet more people have leaks than think they do... Most of that 'dirty engine' syndrome can be mitigated by eliminating leaks found with this EASY test.

Thanks to Jim (rat49F6) for loaning me this tool and all the other help he's been to me since I've been in NJ!!!

Keep your psi low or you will have 'leaks' everywhere

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Good advice Les. Not sure how many psi I was putting in there, but guessing not more than 20-25... We just puffed up the intake tube a little and looked for leaks until it got soft again - then added more air (2-3 secs).

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any comments about the lovely hand model we used for this shoot!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Posting Guru

Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Good advice Les. Not sure how many psi I was putting in there, but guessing not more than 20-25... We just puffed up the intake tube a little and looked for leaks until it got soft again - then added more air (2-3 secs).

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any comments about the lovely hand model we used for this shoot!
I have a regulator on my air compressor, so I would suggest cranking it down to 20psi. Boys will be boys with the mindset of 'a little will help a little... so... lets go for a lot and.... really muke it up'

I need to make me one of those... I have the stuff laying around.

PAA Member #123
1991 F-150 inline 6
2001 F-250 7.3 Crewcab 4x4
BTS-Trans , 6.0 Trans Cooler, SuperChip, K&N Filter
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Post Fiend

ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
here is mine i made about 5 years ago...

here is a nice one for 30 bucks
Intake Pressure Tester
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,SRP 1.1 for oil,H-11 stud's,"NEW" alliant 315/200 hybrids, all supplied by unlimited diesel..shimmed 910's, DI push rod's, Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401 ..tuned by Gearhead..

1988 F250 7,3 IDI with 112k-bone stock plow truck..
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Senior User

76'SuperCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Went ahead and made one of these today (thanks for the easy directions) and I'm afraid to ask about the results - why would air be coming out of the dipstick? I only pressured it up to about 20 psi and couldn't find any other "leaks."
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
cool...another tool to make.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Senior User

76'SuperCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turns out I made the mistake of hooking it up to the CCV coupler just like this. I'll try again later with the detector hooked up to the correct boot.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Dumb question, but where'd you get the Schrader valve?

Mark
schrader valve came from my B.A. local Hardware store

Quote:

u would like those beat up hands

lets make a high class new tester like rons
Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Molon Labe

Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
sunstatefranko
Thanks for the cool idea Jason, I think I'll fab one up while my chip is out for updates......It's too booring and slow to drive anyhow.

I tried to rep you brother, but.....
Early '99 F350 Lariat 2WD 7.3, BTS Trans w/ 6.0 cooler, BTS tunes, 6637 w/Riffraff cover, 4"MBRP, Isspro EV2 gauges, Ranch Hand, 2"leveling kit. HPx, FRx, Coolant Filter, Hutch,Harpoon, NVK5, Terminator-T500, Rosewood stage 1's, 120 IDM
Frank, PAA#99
B.E.S.T. map
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Gone Fishin for Mark

joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.
I got him for ya....

'99.5 F-35O 4x4 Auto CC Short bed 239K
Kwik w/Pete's cover, CCV,
Foil Delete, AIH Delete,
Ranch Hand bumpers F&R
Predator Programmer(don't get one)
Re-man tranny @ 23OK
Aluminum lined bed

People pay better attention when they notice I have the safety OFF!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Posting Guru

jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76'SuperCab View Post
Went ahead and made one of these today (thanks for the easy directions) and I'm afraid to ask about the results - why would air be coming out of the dipstick? I only pressured it up to about 20 psi and couldn't find any other "leaks."
I would say if you put enough pressure on it with the valves open it will bypass the piston ring's, the reason for CCV. Seems like if you wanted to check for leaks take the intercooler tube off at the cold side at the spider and plug with cap also.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitetail View Post
I would say if you put enough pressure on it with the valves open it will bypass the piston ring's, the reason for CCV. Seems like if you wanted to check for leaks take the intercooler tube off at the cold side at the spider and plug with cap also.
Not necessary... We don't need it to 'hold' pressure to check for leaks - just have some pressure in there so we see bubbles in our soapy solution. Anyway, the thing you are suggesting we disconnect is the most likely suspect for a leak... Besides, at least one intake valve is always open, right?

The intake tube goes directly into CCV - unlike gassers, there is no PCV - so air blown in the way I describe is pressurizing crankcase via valve cover. This would be a good reason to keep pressure low. You could plug CCV in intake tube and put as much pressure as ya wanted (until ya broke CAC) - but again, I think its totally unnecessary!

K.I.S.S.

and not needed, but thanks anyway Joe!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2006, 60, 64, 73, 99, boost, detector, f350, find, ford, leak, lightning, powerstroke, tester, turbo