Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2010 F150 6spd. trans. fluid level

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 AM
mikey v
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 6spd. trans. fluid level

OK; I give up. How do I check the trans. fluid level on my 2010 F150 6 spd. auto trans????? I see that there is NOT a dipstick in the engine compartment. I have searched around on here, and cannot find an answer.
Thanks, in advance; for your help............

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Car companies are starting to "remove the dipstick" from the engine bay. Well, i have read that the new automatics are going to a check plug like on a manual transmission or differential. You see, the manufactures are getting tired of people over filling these transmissions which eventualy causes excessive wear and failure. Imagine a blender, when you over fill this fluid its like it gets churned, because it gets oxidized, which breaks down any fluid a lot quicker. The fluid does not hold up as well or cool so the transmission gets burned up. If you have checked or changed the fluid in a manual transmission you will know what im talking about. There is a fill plug about half way up the transmission case. When you remove this plug then You can usually fit a pinky finger in there to see where the transmission fluid is. If its low fill it till it flows out the threads then, cap it. I believe your suposed to check the fluid when its cold. Although, I am not sure. Hope this helps. This should be the case for you if there is no dipstick in the engine bay.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM
mikey v
New User
Thx. for the info!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Let me know what you find out. It makes sence to me. I have always liked filling a manual transmission because you know when its full (when it pours out!) I hate tring to read the dipstick on automatics and tell how much fluid is in one. Its hard to see for me. So, i can see why people over fill them by mistake possibley. Tell you what i have no problems what so ever seeing how much engine oil there is in a cold engine though. I believe its due to the engine oil being thicker and darker.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
brcman
Junior User
read manual

My 2010 owners manual says there is no need to check it, if you think it needs attention go to the dealer. It also says the fluid is designed to last a lifetime. I assume it is a synthetic, I really do not like this situation.

Oldstuff

Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Originally Posted by brcman
My 2010 owners manual says there is no need to check it, if you think it needs attention go to the dealer. It also says the fluid is designed to last a lifetime. I assume it is a synthetic, I really do not like this situation.

Oldstuff
It's MERCON LV fluid. My 2010 Focus has a 150K mile transmission service interval where the manual states to have the tranny flushed and the filter replaced. It will be the same or similar on the F-150:

Unless,

You are towing all the time, or working your truck pretty hard. Then the service interval should drop significantly.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Its not that i dont believe you guys, its that those are some scarey intervals truethfully! "Lifetime fluid" and 150K ouch! My car just rolled 150,000 not to long ago and the transmission slipped this winter. That was just from the fluid not being changed the last 60k miles i believe that, and it did it when it was bitter cold. If you think about it all transmission fluid breaks down over time. Synthetic or not synthetic. Both synthetic and non synthetic will get moisture in them over time, theres reasons to change transmission fluid before 150k. Im not sure what ford is trying to acomplish by this either. Honestly, does not sound like it makes them tougher or make ford trucks look tougher. I really dont like these ideas...

Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy
Its not that i dont believe you guys, its that those are some scarey intervals truethfully! "Lifetime fluid" and 150K ouch! My car just rolled 150,000 not to long ago and the transmission slipped this winter. That was just from the fluid not being changed the last 60k miles i believe that, and it did it when it was bitter cold. If you think about it all transmission fluid breaks down over time. Synthetic or not synthetic. Both synthetic and non synthetic will get moisture in them over time, theres reasons to change transmission fluid before 150k. Im not sure what ford is trying to acomplish by this either. Honestly, does not sound like it makes them tougher or make ford trucks look tougher. I really dont like these ideas...
No one said you can't change the fluid when ever you want. These are simply Ford's guidelines and "not exceed" numbers. I will have no problem at all taking Ford's recommendations to task.

Ford's overall goal is to reduce the cost of ownership by reducing maintenance intervals. I think it's a wonderful idea.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Ranger Lance
Senior User
Talked about it here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-dipstick.html

Post #10 outlines the procedure to check the fluid level

Last edited by Ranger Lance; 03-15-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: addl. info
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
mikey v
New User
Ranger Lance--Thanks much for the link! Thanks to all who responded; I am now trained up! Mikey

Originally Posted by Ranger Lance
Talked about it here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...-dipstick.html

Post #10 outlines the procedure to check the fluid level

Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It's not a new thing. The Mustangs have been this way since 2005. On the plus side, you can easily slide under the truck to check it vs having to either put the Stang on a lift or jack up the front and rear to keep the car level to check it

Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
TrapperDave
Junior User
Great Subject Folks! I was also wondering how to check my tranny fluid (2010 F150). Thanks for the pot and informative replies.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
prtermite1
New User
2010 f150

My 2010 F150 has the 6spd auto and the manual says to flush system every 30000 miles and to change the fiolter at 90000. I have 40000 and had it flushed this weekend for 179.00 and it shifts a lot smoother

Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Yeah im changing the transmission filter and fluid in my 1998 mecury tracer. The owners manual has no interval or even what type of fluid it even takes. I checked chiltons libary on line and all data. Ford has no change intervals for normal opperating conditions or severe service. Interesting... The recomendation is when the fluid gets gritty, discolored, or smells burn that is when it needs to be replaced. I guess it makes sence, but i would think it should be replaced at least every 30 to 60,000 miles.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
tWyStyD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by brcman

Oldstuff
It doesn't last a lifetime, my service sched for my '09 says remove, flush and replace, every 50k, and it isn't cheap
Sounds excessive to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F150 6spd. trans. fluid level