Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AC pulley squeak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
AC pulley squeak

There's a squeak coming from the pulley on my wife's truck. AC still seems to function fine in these mild 70 - 80 deg temps. Does anyone know if the squeak could be fixed by replacing the clutch / pulley or does it typically come from deeper within the compressor?

It's been too long since I changed mine to remember how it looked and what part might be the source of the noise.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Yes, the clutch bearing needs a change-out.

The bearing COULD be changed if you wanted to go to the trouble, as it's just swedged in there. You'd need a hand-grinder and maybe a press to do it, though.

The entire clutch assembly should be able to be had for around $130 or so. However, I'm not sure you won't have a lot of time into it by the time you change the bearing alone.

Here's a write-up on it:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8676261

Pop

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it squeak while engaged? If not, probably the bearing on the pulley, if so... I'd be looking at other pulleys. Compressors usually don't "squeak". Also take a look at the hood liner and see if there is a "spray line" over the top of where the compressor is. Good sign your front seal is giving up.

I just serviced my A/C bearings. Had the belt off and the pulley wasn't spinning freely, so I removed the pulley, carefully removed the dust shields on the sealed bearing, brake cleaned and repacked it. Dust shields snapped back in and whala, G2G. (The original grease looked like it had turned into WAX)

Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by CPUNeck
I just serviced my A/C bearings. Had the belt off and the pulley wasn't spinning freely, so I removed the pulley, carefully removed the dust shields on the sealed bearing, brake cleaned and repacked it. Dust shields snapped back in and whala, G2G. (The original grease looked like it had turned into WAX)
What grease did you use in the bearing?

Caught early enough, before any bearing damage, this is very cost-effective P/M for a Saturday morning!

Pop

Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Thanks Pop. That was the kind of info I was looking for. Pressing out the bearings doesn't bother me, finding the correct size bearings sounds like it might be a pain. Replacing the clutch might be the way to go. Wish I had kept my old one to take apart and play with.

No signs of a seal leak Casper. The noise happens both with the AC on and off, but when you turn the AC on, the noise becomes more constant. It also only happens while driving, not at idle. We were able to confirm it yesterday on the freeway. Switch the ac on and off repeatedly and the noise is most definitely tied to the AC.

Spinning the pulley by hand with the belt off gives a little hint of a noise. I've confirmed it's not the idler or tensioner.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by F350-6
finding the correct size bearings sounds like it might be a pain.
Google "5106-WCC" or "fs-10 clutch bearing" and see.

Better yet, run that number at eBay! Currently for sale for $15, with a couple of bucks to ship.

Pop

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
What grease did you use in the bearing?

Caught early enough, before any bearing damage, this is very cost-effective P/M for a Saturday morning!

Pop
I used some EP Mobil wheel bearing grease... I've had good luck with it in the past. Got ta do something while your truck is on 4 jack stands, no wheels, and not a BEARING to be found in the rear axle housing.

Chris, sounds like your onto the problem, bear in mind, when the compressor is active, it's going to put a load on the belt. Have you tried squirting a mild soap solution onto the belt and pulleys? My last belt actually started to "squeak" like the old V-belts.

If it is the compressor, I'd guess it must be the front bearing. Don't think I've seen a front bearing start to go without the seal beginning to fail first though.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Google "5106-WCC" and see.

Pop
Thanks for the part number. Everyone rep Pop for me.

Guess I'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a look to see if it's worth ordering a new bearing or just replacing the clutch assembly.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by CPUNeck
Don't think I've seen a front bearing start to go without the seal beginning to fail first though.
Actually, what happens is the front bearing goes out, BADLY overheats, and THAT's what takes out the front seal.

Catch it early enough, and all it takes is a bearing. Seal will still be intact if you're quick.

Originally Posted by F350-6
Guess I'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a look to see if it's worth ordering a new bearing or just replacing the clutch assembly.
You'll need an 8mm 1/4" socket and drive for the shaft center bolt, and a snap-ring pliers to get the bearing off the compressor's snout.

A good cleaning of the snap ring area with solvent and a brush facilitates removal.

I'd just leave the coil alone.

Pop

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Chris.I have the number for American Bearring in Ft.Worth at work.I bet they will have that bearring.Good folks.
Let me know if you need help.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

It's a real common bearing, actually. NAPA might even have them on the shelf.

But a good bearing house will have better bearings, with better grease, for less money!

I'd go with them!

Pop

Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Barry, I'll let you know. I want to check the air gap and pull and inspect the pulley and stuff first. If anything else looks worn, I might as well replace the whole clutch. If it's just the bearing, I'll get the number from you. I've got to be in Ft Worth Tuesday, so that might work out.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a squeak coming from mine. Could not tell if it was the AC or Idler pulley. Turned out to be the serpentine belt, which really surprised me considering I changed it about 15k ago... New belt squeak went away.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Let me know when you are going to dig into that.I would like to see the teardown.I need to learn this and what it is all about.I have some dry residue on the front of my compressor and it looks like clutch wear.I may need a replacement as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Actually, what happens is the front bearing goes out, BADLY overheats, and THAT's what takes out the front seal.

Catch it early enough, and all it takes is a bearing. Seal will still be intact if you're quick.Pop
In jail Pop , that's some good info.

Quick Reply: AC pulley squeak