What's Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
snook715
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's Missing?

Ok Gentlemen I'm looking to fire up this old 429 some time this week after it's mounted in my 55 f100 but I need some help to get it in running order. Please forgive how dirty it is.

Reason for my post is I see a bracket missing. It looks like an Alternator and power steering pump/reservoir are both missing too. I have the belts but need to know what I should look for at the local U-Pull-It. I'm unfamiliar with the BBF so I'm asking your help to identify what is missing and what else I may need to get my new heart running.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would you even consider installing and engine that you do not know for sure that it runs? Fire it up where it sits.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
snook715
Senior User
It is the only engine I have to use. One way or another Im using this motor. I want to try and fire it because i was told by the seller it runs and only had 55k miles. The donor car suggests that it is true but I have not fired it myself. If i have to rebuild it I will take it back out and rebuild it but I'm also using the motor to have my builder fab up motor mounts and the transmission crossmember so why not mock them up, have motor mounts finish welded in and then leave it there to use after the finish welding is complete. If it fires and runs im going to clean it up and use it until I have the money to fully build the motor but until then I blew my budget on the No Limit Engineering suspension and brake system I just put under the truck along with the new gas tank, new flaming river column, Colorado custom steering wheel, shift linkage, new seat, wiring harness, gauges and install cost. Sorry I don't have motors just sitting around I can choose from for install.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by snook715
It is the only engine I have to use. One way or another Im using this motor. I want to try and fire it because i was told by the seller it runs and only had 55k miles. The donor car suggests that it is true but I have not fired it myself. If i have to rebuild it I will take it back out and rebuild it but I'm also using the motor to have my builder fab up motor mounts and the transmission crossmember so why not mock them up, have motor mounts finish welded in and then leave it there to use after the finish welding is complete. If it fires and runs im going to clean it up and use it until I have the money to fully build the motor but until then I blew my budget on the No Limit Engineering suspension and brake system I just put under the truck along with the new gas tank, new flaming river column, Colorado custom steering wheel, shift linkage, new seat, wiring harness, gauges and install cost. Sorry I don't have motors just sitting around I can choose from for install.
A lot of work when all it takes is a battery and pour some fuel on the carb to see if it runs where it is at. In fact putting it in before you know it runs qualifies as stupid and a waste of time.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM
snook715
Senior User
In my eyes its not stupid because I have to have the engine mounts fabricated for this motor anyways. I appreciate your input and understand it is not the way YOU would go about handling this motor but please refrain from insulting me. Its not needed or appreciated.

Back to my original question dose anyone have any suggestions on what i may be missing from my motor. Thank you.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by snook715
In my eyes its not stupid because I have to have the engine mounts fabricated for this motor anyways. I appreciate your input and understand it is not the way YOU would go about handling this motor but please refrain from insulting me. Its not needed or appreciated.

Back to my original question dose anyone have any suggestions on what i may be missing from my motor. Thank you.
It';s your time and effort, but if the engine is bad and has to come back out You will have wasted hours of your time. I was a professional mechanic for a lot of years and no one puts a suspect engine in anything, ever. Your are just justifying your actions now, rather than admit your have made an error in judgement. Obviously you have no clue what you are doing. I'm done.

Last edited by krewat; 03-14-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed personal insult
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
snook715
Senior User
Glad you're done. Pissing matches online are pointless. I admit I don't know what I'm doing. And I quote "my builder" as my resource. He suggested we find a fab motor but when I said my budget is blown he offered to mount my motor and let me take my truck home until I had more cash to finish it. Rather than haul off a motor separate from my truck on two trips I will mount it and push it around so it can fit in my garage easily. If i knew how to do it myself I prob would. I would have also purchased a mock up motor that was Junk and used that but instead since my budget is blown on other stuff im making due. Glad you WERE a professional mechanic hope you didn't talk to your so called customers like you're talking to me. That is probably the reason you're not longer a professional mechanic.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
OK, let's back away from the keyboard for a little while and continue on with this thread.

You should look for another 429 or 460 in the junkyard and just get all the brackets off the front of it.

On another note, I would at least pull the spark plugs, throw a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, and try rotating the engine by hand with a socket/breaker-bar on the damper bolt. If it turns easily enough, fire the starter and see what the compression is. If you get decent compression on all cylinders, I would then try to install it, but until that happens, I wouldn't go nuts trying to install it. But that's just me.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
snook715
Senior User
Never hurts to have some spare brackets. If anything i could return what i dont use. Thanks Krewat. I took Bear's comments about firing it up to heart so I will try that this afternoon.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've used setup engines before with good results. Drop it in, mock up all mounting and engine bay modifications, then it has to come back out anyways so the engine bay can be finished and painted. While it's in the first time, and well secured, fire it up. While the engine bay is being finished, fix anything it might have needed.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Great point Jared.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
snook715
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I've used setup engines before with good results. Drop it in, mock up all mounting and engine bay modifications, then it has to come back out anyways so the engine bay can be finished and painted. While it's in the first time, and well secured, fire it up. While the engine bay is being finished, fix anything it might have needed.

Thats my thoughts exactly! I have to do a new firewall anyway eventually but it should be in safe running order in the next few weeks so im trying to drive it.