Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
New User

pyrodave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation Truck won't Start!?! I know but, hear me out!

Okay let's see if I can Explain This one!
2001 F150 SC Lariat 2wd 5.4L 254,000 miles
About 2 weeks ago my wife complained that the gauges would peg out every time she started the truck. sure enough they were! There was no service lights staying on so..... instrument cluster issue no problem drive it I'll look at it later. 2 weeks go by and the truck starts in the driveway no problem warms up runs for all of thirty seconds dies and will not start. I have checked spark, crank position sensor is fine,battery is fine all cabling is in good order. I had a buddy bring home his Snap-on scanner and program keys and check the truck and there are no codes in the system! I have come to at loss on this one. there is pressure at the exhaust pipe when it turns over so, I haven't done a compression test and have ruled out the timing chain.

suggestions please!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
the gauges pegging is normally a loss of voltagae thing... if you disconnect the battery and reconnect, the first time you start, the gauges will spike. If it happens from time to time, it normlaly means you have a battery or ground cable problem... Now the truck cranks i assume, but will not start ? If it ran for 30 seconds, i wonder if it ran out of fuel. Turn on the key, do you hear the fuel pump at the tank running for a few seconds? Look at the fuel line going to the injectors. THere is a schrader valve on the line somewhere. Push the needle in the center and see if it shoots out gas. You should have 20-30 pounds of pressure just setting there not running.
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
New User

It has a full tank of fuel and check the fuel pump it humming along and doing it's job. Plenty of flow and pressure.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
New User

Maybe not enough voltage to the PCM. I will inspect the cables a little more thoroughly!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Posting Guru

93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how did you rule out things like the CPS and timing chain?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match View Post
how did you rule out things like the CPS and timing chain?
The scanner reconized RPMs while turning the engine over, which is generated by the CPS. The timing chain only by the fact that I still have consistant flow from the tailpipe when turning it over.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Posting Guru

96f150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
...How old is your battery? If you have a dead cell in the battery, It can cause issues like your saying. I have seen batteries meausre 12 volts, and still have a serious voltage drop.
Rich

Previous
2006 F150 4x4 Scab XLT
1996 F150 4x4 302 XL (miss her the most)
1997 F150 4x4 XLT
1994 Ranger 4x4 4.0L
1993 Ranger 4x2 3.0L
Old 03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
New User

It's a 2 year old Orbital from Napa.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Posting Guru

93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodave View Post
The scanner reconized RPMs while turning the engine over, which is generated by the CPS. The timing chain only by the fact that I still have consistant flow from the tailpipe when turning it over.
didnt wanna sound like i was questioning your knowledge, just alot of people come on here saying they did things, yet have no idea what there talking about.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
New User

No worries. I usually sit down and ponder the issue for a couple of days and have an answer for myself If it's a mechanical I don't have a problem if it's totally electronic issues I'm lost.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
you need gas and air... and fire at the right time to run. sounds like you got gas to the rail, but cant be sure if injectors are working, or spark plugs sparking, or timing correct. I think i might have a tendance to shoot a small shot of ether into the intake port while cranking and see if you get it to fire. If not, than you are back to plugs sparking and timing. I dont know if you can pull a COP and put a plug in the end and ground it while cranking to see if you have spark ?
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
New User

I rescanned after draining the battery cranking it and got low voltage to PCM message. After closer investigation I found the neg. Terminal down by the crossmember to be almost corroded into where something had rubbed on it for quite sometime. After a little whittling, a coupling and shrink tubing..... It starts runs and gauges no longer reset on starting! The stupid stuff that can go wrong will drive you crazy!
Thanks for all the help and I hope to get another 250,000 out of her.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Elder User

Lime1GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good to here you used shrink tubing. Most would use an open end connector and about a year down the road would have the same problem all over again if living in a winter climate where salt is used. I see your from Texas but where I come from nothing short of sealing heat-shrink will stop salt corrosion from ruining a wiring repair. I watch numerous car shows such as Horsepower TV for example and see wiring connected with open connectors or quick connects and just shake my head. They wouldn't last one winter in my climate conditions.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Elder User

Sgt Wonderful is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Truck won't run

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodave View Post
It has a full tank of fuel and check the fuel pump it humming along and doing it's job. Plenty of flow and pressure.
Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Just because you hear it runnung dosen't mean it's putting enough fuel into the motor. Had the same problem once. I could hear the fuel pump running but the fuel pressure wasn't there.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...oid=20955&.jpg
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
1948, 73, blank, communication, f150, ford, gauges, indicator, mileage, pegged, powerstroke, scanner, snap, start, timing, truck, vid, wont