6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New to the forum and need HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Ncacciutti
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum and need HELP...

Hi All,
I am not a diesel mechanic and I don't pretend to be one. Below I have explained what took place with the truck in hopes that you all have heard this a million times and know the fix.
Friday morning I start my '05 F350 up take it to the gym, work out for about an hour, and when I come back out to start the truck it will start up and run extremely rough for about 10 to 20 seconds and shut off. I leave the truck get a ride home and head back over about 3 hours later to meet a tow truck. While waiting I try to start the truck again. The truck fires right up and runs great. So, I head to work. On my way in I swing by the local Ford dealer to see if they had any idea what the story was. The service manager didn't think it sounded like a normal issues so I left it at that. I head back out to start the truck up and it is doing the exact same thing it had done earlier. They bring the diesel tech out to look at the truck and he immediately tells me that it is not good and they will need to research the issue. I leave the truck with them. Around 2:30pm I get a call from the Ford tech saying the truck needs a new "Injector control pressure sensor" and the job will cost me $480. I give them the green light to do the job. About 3 hours later I get a phone call saying they were about to put the sensor in when the truck started giving them different signals and now think my truck needs a new computer and wire harness ($2,040.00). I asked them to leave the truck over night and retest it today. Today I get a call from Ford saying it could be a bad Injector in the #5 cylinder along with an issue in the manifold with some type of oil tray and the computer and wire harness.
I have them on hold because all of these fixes are going to be in the thousands of dollars and I don't want to just start blindly changing things. Any input is helpful. Also, I am located in PA 20min outside of Philly. If anyone has a mechanic they recommend I will gladly have the truck towed. Sorry for the long version!
Thanks,
Nick

Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy Cow! They have no clue! I love how the problems and costs rise with every phone call you'll need new tires, a paint job and a 5th wheel hitch at the rate their going.

Your symptoms sound like classic STC fitting and/or HPOP issues.

It's a SUPER common problem and if you check the 'tech folder' you'll find tons of info. --> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...condition.html skip down to "TROUBLESHOOT THE HPO PRESSURE SYSTEM:" and start working from there.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Wow - $480 for an '05 ICP seems incredibly high ..........

Sounds like it is time to see another dealership.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:44 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Mark 100%. Get the he** out of Dodge and find a dealer that can troubleshoot logically. This one is throwing parts at it at your expense.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, I am not a mechanic...but lurking around here long enough to gather a lot of valuable info from those who contribute. I would guess a high pressure oil circuit failure (STC fitting, sensor, o-ring). Sounds like that dealership might be lacking...hang around for a while and someone may chime in with a good 6.0 PSD mechanic in your area. Are you going to the dealer because you have some type of warranty?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ncacciutti
... I am located in PA 20min outside of Philly. If anyone has a mechanic they recommend ...
Try joining/posting in the PA chapter and asking that question there.
Pennsylvania Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The regional and local chapters are at the bottom of the main forum page.

Also try posting that question again in this forum with the title of your post something like "Anyone know a good 6.0 mechanic in the ..... area"
You'll get some hits.

Best of luck with your issues, but begin by getting the truck out of there. Even if the problem is the ICP .. $480!!! No way!!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Ncacciutti
New User
Nope at the dealer because I called 5 different local shops and they all said take it back to Ford, we won't touch it. I'm willing to take it anywhere. To be honest I would rather take it to a private shop. No warranty.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Ncacciutti
New User
Thanks Piolet - I'll post some new threads.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Ncacciutti
New User
Dealership called today and they didn't care to listen to me about the possible STC fitting and/or HPOP issues. They want me to have them replace the computer and harness. Headed over around lunch to see what kind of shape the truck is in. If the truck runs ok would anyone object to me driving it to the next shop?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Dealership called today and they didn't care to listen to me about the possible STC fitting and/or HPOP issues. They want me to have them replace the computer and harness. Headed over around lunch to see what kind of shape the truck is in. If the truck runs ok would anyone object to me driving it to the next shop?

You almost have to because they are going to end up replacing all the wrong stuff before you're done and it's your dime. There has got to be a shop that knows their stuff around you somewhere. Call around. A lot of people on this site do their own wrenching, is that an option?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Ncacciutti
New User
It is an option, I wrench on a 2000 Mustang GT that I put a single turbo on and a couple other goodies, but I've never attempted to do anything on my truck other then change the oil and fuel filters. If there is no harm in driving it, that's my best option at this point.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
I wonder if the computer they are referring to is the FICM and its wiring harness? Not saying it is a valid diagnosis, but it would make a little more sense.

This is a situation where I would say - Time to invest $350 in an Autoenginuity w/ the Ford enhanced package. You will be many $$'s ahead. Lots of folks here that can help you troubleshoot and resolve your issues if you have the diagnostic equipment.

If you don't want to go that direction, then at least find another (highly recommended) shop.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Ncacciutti
New User
The computer and harness is the wording they keep using and said that it is over 18 hours of labor... Whatever happens the truck will be leaving the shop. Either I'll bring it home and try and use the help of members and tech forums or find a quality shop.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
The computer and harness is the wording they keep using and said that it is over 18 hours of labor... Whatever happens the trick will be leaving the shop. Either I'll bring it home and try and use the help of members and tech forums or find a quality shop.

18 hours of labor! HAHA. For a new wiring harness and (prob) FICM... That's just insane. Whatever you do, you have to get it away from those clowns and never look back.