1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Shifting Question/Problem

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok well i just got back from the shop and they put the ol codereader on it and it pulled no codes. so where does that leave me mechanical problem inside of tranny? has anyone converted a auto to standard in one of these trucks? if i go that route the fab work is no big deal but how much is there?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
FWIW, sometimes my truck will hang on the last shift also. If I toggle the o/d cancel button on/off it will usually get the truck to shift.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
yeah i have tried that its just shifting funny period if i have the od off it shifts better but if the od is on it will shift into outta 1st then immediatly into 3rd and then hit 4th and never go to 5th this is gonna be expensive i can feel it

Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
any other ideas?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by whack&stack
never go to 5th this is gonna be expensive i can feel it
Of course it will never go to 5th. It's a four speed, there is no fifth gear.

You will feel four "shifts." 1-2, 2-3, torque converter lock, and 3-4.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Of course it will never go to 5th. It's a four speed, there is no fifth gear.

You will feel four "shifts." 1-2, 2-3, torque converter lock, and 3-4.
the what the h#ll is the OD? not 5th? so whats happening that causes it to run 2700 rpm at 70mph seems like it needs another gear used to run at about 1800rpm at 70mph

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
is the problem in the torque converter?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
it could be slipping but it would be more than likley your tc would slip around town, your OD clutches could be junk..these trannies dont have the best rep around here in these trucks.

its best to buy a parts truck any 93-97 will work i believe or maybe even earlier. its a very simple straight threw process but time consuming. grab a buddy and go to town, i had a blast doing it on my buddies truck.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
it could be slipping but it would be more than likley your tc would slip around town, your OD clutches could be junk..these trannies dont have the best rep around here in these trucks.

its best to buy a parts truck any 93-97 will work i believe or maybe even earlier. its a very simple straight threw process but time consuming. grab a buddy and go to town, i had a blast doing it on my buddies truck.
buy a whole other truck to get tranny parts. nah i will just buy a standard tranny and swap and get what i want. manual trans

Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

the what the h#ll is the OD? not 5th?
Here are the gear ratios:

1st 2.47:1
2nd 1.54:1
3rd 1:1
4th 0.71:1 That's overdrive.

so whats happening that causes it to run 2700 rpm at 70mph seems like it needs another gear used to run at about 1800rpm at 70mph
If I had the truck I could plug in a scan tool, go for a ride, and tell you what's happening. My guess is that it isn't shifting to overdrive, which is 4th gear.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:02 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
ok well i just got back from the shop and they put the ol codereader on it and it pulled no codes. so where does that leave me mechanical problem inside of tranny? has anyone converted a auto to standard in one of these trucks? if i go that route the fab work is no big deal but how much is there?
I know it's been done because I've read about it (I think even on these forums). I was gonna buy a junk auto and convert until I found my manual. IIRC, here's what you need:

Clutch / Brake pedal assembly (was running about $200 on LMC last time I looked)
Clutch Master Cylinder (not sure on price, possibly a boneyard item)
Clutch Slave Cylinder (it's mounted outside the tranny, so again easy to boneyard)
Flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate/pilot bearing/throw-out bearing (I bought a kit from Valiar for $600 in the last month)
ZF5-47 transmission (was the proper manual on these years) with 4WD tail shaft in your case. I know you can buy rebuilt ones online for around $1,500.
And throwout fork (like $20 at the dealership)

It was never clear to me whether the ZF used the E40D crossmember. It also may not be the same length as the E40D. So maybe new driveshafts and transfer case control linkage. I didn't do the swap so I can't say for certain. You will have to get the PCM reflashed (running like $100 I think) for manual because it tries to talk to the auto.

I think I remember reading that the clutch lockout switch and auto neutral sensor use the same wire on the PCM. You'll also have to convert the reverse lights wire/harness over to the manual (it's only a 2 pin on the manual).

From my reading before, it appeared the ZF was a bolt on swap. You'll have to cut your carpet/flooring, but the cover plate for the shifter passthrough should only be screwed (reuse the screws to mount the shifter boot) on. I doubt you'd even have to cut sheet metal.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said, I never got past the planning stage.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
whack&stack
Elder User
Originally Posted by dizzyfingers03
I know it's been done because I've read about it (I think even on these forums). I was gonna buy a junk auto and convert until I found my manual. IIRC, here's what you need:

Clutch / Brake pedal assembly (was running about $200 on LMC last time I looked)
Clutch Master Cylinder (not sure on price, possibly a boneyard item)
Clutch Slave Cylinder (it's mounted outside the tranny, so again easy to boneyard)
Flywheel/clutch disc/pressure plate/pilot bearing/throw-out bearing (I bought a kit from Valiar for $600 in the last month)
ZF5-47 transmission (was the proper manual on these years) with 4WD tail shaft in your case. I know you can buy rebuilt ones online for around $1,500.
And throwout fork (like $20 at the dealership)

It was never clear to me whether the ZF used the E40D crossmember. It also may not be the same length as the E40D. So maybe new driveshafts and transfer case control linkage. I didn't do the swap so I can't say for certain. You will have to get the PCM reflashed (running like $100 I think) for manual because it tries to talk to the auto.

I think I remember reading that the clutch lockout switch and auto neutral sensor use the same wire on the PCM. You'll also have to convert the reverse lights wire/harness over to the manual (it's only a 2 pin on the manual).

From my reading before, it appeared the ZF was a bolt on swap. You'll have to cut your carpet/flooring, but the cover plate for the shifter passthrough should only be screwed (reuse the screws to mount the shifter boot) on. I doubt you'd even have to cut sheet metal.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Like I said, I never got past the planning stage.
Thanks useful info I will be referring to your post is I swap it

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
whack&stack
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Here are the gear ratios:

1st 2.47:1
2nd 1.54:1
3rd 1:1
4th 0.71:1 That's overdrive.

If I had the truck I could plug in a scan tool, go for a ride, and tell you what's happening. My guess is that it isn't shifting to overdrive, which is 4th gear.
Ok I thought these trucks stored the codes they throw out the truck was just sitting when they were read no wonder I didn't get any codes

Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It occurs to me (I don't have my notes in front of me at work), you'll also have to do something with the steering column. I'm sure you could get a manual one from a junk yard. Not sure though...

There's a couple of members with signatures indicating they've swapped their trucks to manuals. I can't think of their handles off-hand though. I'm sure they'd know what I might have missed

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Ok I thought these trucks stored the codes they throw out the truck was just sitting when they were read no wonder I didn't get any codes
Codes that are set are stored in the PCM's memory for about a month after the last time the error was present.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting Question/Problem