Looking into bio diesel production

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
PowerStroker94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into bio diesel production

Hey guys, as the fuel prices rise here in CT I am looking more and more into bio-diesel. So for all of you here that make it yourself, I have some questions. First of all, What are you using for kits, wheather you made it yourself or purchased it off of the internet. What does your setup consist of? And how much did it cost you to get the setup all said and done. I am looking to make at least enough to run my truck on it, and as of now, I am only using about 18 gallons of diesel fuel a week. In the future I do plan to make more than I need to supply friends with fuel also. And lastly, If I have a performance truck: Injectors; hpop; ect, can I still use bio diesel, and will my truck still soot? Thanks for the help guys.

p.s. How do I change my signature, I cant find the option anywhere?

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a plan as to where you can obtain waste fryer oil? That is priority #1.

Pictures of my processor and wash tank are at the beginning of this forum. I have a very basic set up which cost me around $250 to make, plus I had some materials lying around. Ball valves are one of the bigger expenses since I use 9-10 of them in my set up. I use the cheap HF blue pump which will be replaced with a much higher quality pump in my new processor (still under construction).

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM
ns870
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same questions as PowerStroker94... I'm only familiar with the process in so far as I know it can be done and it's not terribly difficult. I'v done google searches for equipment and found companies that sell kits (around $3500 and up...ouch). Looks like alot of you guys are building your own. Any suggested reading for setting up the processing equipment? Also, how and where do you get your WVO? I imagine you just ask around at restaurants. How much time do you spend each week working on bio-diesel production? I'm very intrigued at the idea of fuel for .70-1.00 a gallon, but I dont want to spend all my days off making fuel for the next week (of course the higher the cost goes, the more I'm re-thinking that...)

Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same questions as PowerStroker94... I'm only familiar with the process in so far as I know it can be done and it's not terribly difficult. I'v done google searches for equipment and found companies that sell kits (around $3500 and up...ouch).
Yeah, and many are made of plastic.

Looks like alot of you guys are building your own.
For a fraction of what they sell for, and far superior (steel)

Any suggested reading for setting up the processing equipment?
Here's a link to a good place to start:http://www.make-biodiesel.org/

Also, how and where do you get your WVO? I imagine you just ask around at restaurants.
That can be the most challenging part. And it's more than just asking if you can have their oil. You need to establish a relationship with the right people in the restauraunt, find a way to prove to them you will handle their account in a clean, orderly, and business-like fashion. Remember, larger outfits are paying them for the oil.

How much time do you spend each week working on bio-diesel production?
For me, sometimes none. I am a small producer compared to most here only making 45-90 gallons per month. More than enough to supply my two vehicles. I water wash, so hands on time is more than if I did dry wash. I figure 1-45 gallon batch takes a total of maybe 4-5 total hours of hands on time over the course of several days. The first day is the most involved getting the oil heated, titrating the oil, then the reaction. That alone will take 2 or so hours. I usually have another unrelated project going on in my shop area so I am never leaving the processor unattended.

I'm very intrigued at the idea of fuel for .70-1.00 a gallon, but I dont want to spend all my days off making fuel for the next week (of course the higher the cost goes, the more I'm re-thinking that...)

That's the choice you have to make. For me it's not really about saving money. There's more to it than that.