WOW..TV shots from Japan. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

WOW..TV shots from Japan.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Postmaster

wreckinball is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
first time i have heard that song and wow, i see why you guys thought of it.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Post Fiend

David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't listen to country usually, but that was a good song.

Diddo on the science channels too (although many of those were reggressing to a mix of 'reality TV' with global warming propaganda on top anyway). I stopped watching so called "prime time" TV a long time ago. Sitcoms and adult dramas go out of their way to show people screwing each other's lives up as though its some sort of trophy to see now low they can go. Since when did this become the gold standard and why do shows like this get all the awards? - never mind, I don't want to know.

The reason we finally pulled the cable was partly because of netflix. The don't quite have all the shows and movies I want to watch so I still have to rely on other web sources, but its still much more than anything I could hope for on cable. "Wild China" was an pretty cool mini series that we watched early on.

Not sure if I'll ever see japan, but its a place I wonder about after seeing glimpses of it on videos and TV shows. I got the impression that its cleaner there but for obvious reasons, I took that with a grain of salt.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Posting Guru

catfish101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
We are friggin slobs compared to them!
We are compared to most of the world. I have been to more countries then states and that is several.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Postmaster

LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Catfish, I dunno about that man - take just about the entire Eastern Europe for example, one helluva filthy hole IMHO. No offense to anyone who's from there, t'was just my impression.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Catfish, I dunno about that man - take just about the entire Eastern Europe for example, one helluva filthy hole IMHO. No offense to anyone who's from there, t'was just my impression.
I don't disagree with that. I have been to some cities in eastern Europe and they are funky. Of coarse we have some pretty bad ones also. That happens when you put allot of people together in one spot most of the time. I think that we are getting more wasteful as societies go. Everything is disposable now. I guess that comes with our economies around the world. If everything lasted then we would have nothing to build and sell. It is the cycle now. Good or bad is a matter of opinion. Maybe we should go back top using pig stomachs instead of plastic bottles.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Postmaster

LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Lol, yeah,I'll pass on that - I like my Walmart coke in 2-liter bottles way too much, more than water actually.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Postmaster

Well, back on topic: Unit 2 at Dai-ichi seems to be semi-stable for now, but Unit 3 just went up, in the same manner as Unit 1 on Saturday - core vessel is safe, but not much of a building left around it no more. Apparently water levels dropped so low the rods got exposed, so the plant folks were forced to choose between imminent meltdown if they left them unchecked and potential hydrogen explosion if the flood with sea water - flood the darn thing they did, the lesser of two evils I suppose.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Post Fiend

I don't want to downplay whats happening at the nuke plant right now but I wonder if the world is paying a little too much attention to that.

Latest stats are that 10 000 people may have been killed by the earthquake and tsunami alone. I still can't fathom what it must be like to stand there while this is happening:

YouTube - Japan Earthquake: Helicopter aerial view video of giant tsunami waves

Check out the guy on the flatbed trailer parked on the bridge near the end of the vid.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Postmaster

Actually more that 10k, IIRC one of the mayors or governors or whatever was estimating the casualties in is area alone at well over double that number. 10k is the super-optimistic number "experts" are hoping to stay below, but unfortunately chances are that mayor/governor person knows his territory better...

About the nuke plant, well it's normal to pay extra attention to it - the quake and the wave are already gone and nothing can be done about them, while the plant situation is still unfolding...

And that guy was lucky the bridge was tall enough for the water to pass under it, otherwise he'd have been so screwed, lol
Old 03-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Posting Guru

I agree LCAM. The other issues are bad but are not controllable. That has happened. The ugly job of finding the bodies is being done which is bad. I have been there. No fun....If this reactor issue isn't gotten under control then there will be even more troubles. I am like you, the death toll will be allot higher then anticipated by what the news stories are telling..Of coarse the lack of food and water hasn't finished taking it's toll yet. They are along time from seeing the end to this disaster...Did I here correctly? That Japan moved like 8 inches from this quake.

Update: It wasn't 8 inches is was like 8 feet.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Postmaster

Found this link in another part of FTE, tis a good read:

Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation BraveNewClimate
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Post Fiend

Catfish, thats more or less what I meant. There are still lives that can be saved from the natural part of this disaster. Although when it comes down to it, press coverage makes no real difference one way or another. And yeah, I heard about the 8 feet move as well. Supposedly the earth's rotation was also knocked out by a measurable amount (normally there is always a slight wobble anyway).
Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Postmaster

David, yes that's true - press coverage matters none when it comes to actual cleanup work. But you gotta admit that screaming to the skies that the plant is gonna go Chernobyl scares the heck outta folks, and scared folks make for excellent ratings for the news companies, better ratings that those that could be brought by reports of just the cleanup efforts...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Posting Guru

I know what you mean David. Don't disagree. It is about what sells in the press. "Dramatic" sells more newsprint...I have heard about some good news though. I understand they are finding survivors in all the mess.

Hey David, on a much lighter note, What do you guys use for welding your aluminum. I have Miller welders and I did pick a spool gun for my Mig. I have played with aluminum on one before but not much. I have no intentions of getting a TIG. I will have to make the MIG work.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Posting Guru

eatont9999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just heard on Greta's show that one of the nuclear reactors has melted to a point where it is hazardous to the human population in the area.