Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Junior User

developer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help! Wiper switch - Different Versions???

Hi All.

This is weird.

The multi-switch harness plug started to go on my 99 Expy, you know, melting from too much current, and the turn signal wasn't working right.

So, I pulled it all apart and ordered a new switch. I added the headlight relay and I repaired both the harness and plug with epoxy and harness wrap. All good.

I put in the new switch and the wipers do not function properly; however, they do with the old switch. I spoke to the auto parts place and they said it must be defective, so they sent another. It does the same thing.

I put an ohm meter on the plugs and it seems as if the way it determines the mode for the wipers is to vary the resistance across 4 terminals.

The values on the replacement switch (only measured 1) is completely different than on the original one.

I am told and verified by the switch label, that the multi-switch is the same for the Expy and Excursion (label had 2000-01 Excursion). When I mentioned that to the parts people they said it was all the same part.

I think they may look the same, but electrically they appear very different.

When I turn the replacement switch on for wipers, they won't come on in delay and when they are set to full on and then off, they won't turn off until the key is switched off. When the key goes back on, they stay off, but still function in this weird way.

I'm thinking that Ford changed the way they did this and the replacement part isn't correct.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

As usual, thanks in advance!

Last edited by developer; 03-11-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Junior User

developer is starting off with a positive reputation.
(Sorry - I clicked the wrong year forum)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 AM