1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My new Excursion and upgrades with help from CT Performance and Riff Raff Diesel

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My new Excursion and upgrades with help from CT Performance and Riff Raff Diesel

Well I bought a used 2000 Excursion a couple of weeks ago when diesel prices started escalating and more of these vehicles were becomeing available in my area. This one has 191K on it an still stock as far as I could tell. The dealer let me spend 2 hours crawling around it and running everything I could think of with the AE software/scanner. Pretty clean vehicle but the suspension and the 4 wheel drive (front) needed some attention. the engine system AE tests and oil analysis all looked good. The tranny fluid analysis - well, that's another story. But with almost 200K on the tranny I assumed I would be throwing a couple of pay checks at that.

Oh, almost forgot - , thanks Pete (F250_) for helping me find a good one!

The first mod i decided on was the suspension. After the bouncy and bangy test drive I knew this was a must. Like Cary T from CT Performance likes to say:

ya got to fix the suspension..they are flat lousy handling riding pigs stock

After driving with my family to my daughters 4-H meeting with 4 rabbit cages full of rabbits bouncing around in the back my wife basically said - "get the damn suspension fixed before we do this again!"

My plan worked and the suspension mods are a go!

I ordered some parts from CT Performance (CT Performance website) to upgrade the suspension and be able to add 32" tires.

Bilstein shocks (6) and dual brackets
Adjustable Billet track bar
2" hanger kit
New U bolts
Dual steering stabilizer w/Fox shocks

I still neeeded to get:

Front V code springs: Part #2C3Z-5310-HA
Rear B code springs:Part #3C3Z-5560-CA
rear sway bar

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
After getting it up on the lift it sure does look like she needed the work bad. As you can see in the pics the fromt shocks are leaking and look like hell. 191K miles will do that I guess.

The new B and V code springs from the local Ford Dealer came in Tuesday. Now just need to mod the B codes for the rear. The fist pic is of the stock rear springs on my Excursion. The 2nd is of the new B codes before the Mod and the 3rd & 4th pics are from Cary (OBSWIZ)showing what the completed B code Mod should look like.

The first step in the B code mod is to remove to top spring and the block from the new B code spring (those two parts the red arrows are pointing at). Cary sent me some detailed instructions with pics when I ordered the kit from him.

Second, Take the two shortest leaves from the stock Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring packs between the shortest leaf and the bottom overload leaf..
Remove the sheet metal spacers of the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the stock Excursion springs.

What the completed B code mod should look like:

I'll add some pics tomorrow of the completed B codes, front hanger kit and the V code springs.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Now to switch gears. This week was my first time ordering from Clay at Riff Raff Diesel. I'll give it to you straight.

1. I ordered 4" exhaust. CCV Mod kit and a few extra gizmos.
2. Ordered Monday afternoon - it'll be her tomorrow..... nuff said

I wish the Army was that efficient.....LOL

I see what you all are talking about when it come to customer service.

Then today (Thursday) I forgot to order the Warn Hubs . It's still winter up here and my vaccuum seals are shot along with the vaccuum hoses. SO I got online and ordered them (Riffraff Diesel), talked with Clay a few hours later. Bottom line - they will be here Monday or Tuesday......BAM - problem solved

Thank you Clay, you run a 1st class setup.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
can't forget......

My PCM will be introduced to a Tony Wildman Chip

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post......I will seconf that Clay is awesome! Great info on those springs, I will be checking out CT's websit aswell! Congradulations on your new "X"!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Night Crawler
Senior User
I like a build thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Looks good Rich. I wish I could get my wife to drive an EX. You are doing this right so you should have a good one when finished. Agree with the good service from Clay.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
Rich looks good!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Looks good Rich. I wish I could get my wife to drive an EX. You are doing this right so you should have a good one when finished. Agree with the good service from Clay.
I hope she doesn't want to drive it too much -

Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here are some pics of the new V code springs and front hanger kit.

As per Cary's intructions the sway bar hanger mount (if that is what it is called ) had to be moved fron inside the frame rail to under the frame rail so it would clear the new V code spring.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
getting started on CT's dual front shock kit. Can't wait to feel the difference this setup makes. Cary suggested only thread the first couple of threads on all the bolts in order to be able to get the shocks on easier.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by twtcad
Great post......I will seconf that Clay is awesome! Great info on those springs, I will be checking out CT's websit aswell! Congradulations on your new "X"!
Cary at CT Performance has been very helpful. When I first checked into this Cary spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with me answereing all my questions and helping me determine the right course of action for the setup I was after (32" tires and better handling & suspension). I must have sent him a good 20 e-mails during the initial planning & purchasing stage. He always got back with me that day , but that's why people like Cary and Clay are successfull at what they do.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
How much height difference is there between the new hangers and the OEM hangers?

Stewart

Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Looks great Rich! Can't wait to see the finished product and hear how it rides!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
How much height difference is there between the new hangers and the OEM hangers?

Stewart
Stewart - It's a 2" hanger kit so I assume it is 2". But I can put the stock hanger/shackle up against the the new one and measure the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Excursion and upgrades with help from CT Performance and Riff Raff Diesel