1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

anyone wire a 53 f100? new truck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 PM
fordmanforlife246
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone wire a 53 f100? new truck!

well i picked up a 53 ford f100 from a local member! phoenixson i think is his name. anyway i did a quick look and tried to start it and it looks like alot of the wiring is disconnected and a mess. i tried looking at one of the diagrams on the web but those are confusing! im sure i could get it if i took the time to really focus. im really looking for just all the wiring i need to get it to start. anyone know of what i will need? he gave me alot of new parts for the wiring. the wiring is something im not too good at and dont like haha. well if any of you guys have any tips or diagrams of what it will take to get my truck to atleast start for now. thanks!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmanforlife246
well i picked up a 53 ford f100 from a local member! phoenixson i think is his name. anyway i did a quick look and tried to start it and it looks like alot of the wiring is disconnected and a mess. i tried looking at one of the diagrams on the web but those are confusing! im sure i could get it if i took the time to really focus. im really looking for just all the wiring i need to get it to start. anyone know of what i will need? he gave me alot of new parts for the wiring. the wiring is something im not too good at and dont like haha. well if any of you guys have any tips or diagrams of what it will take to get my truck to atleast start for now. thanks!

He sold it eh? That seemed like a pretty solid truck! We were in touch for a while but never got together to check out each others projects. What plans do you have for it? So what area of town do you live? I am in Mesa. There are a lot of kits out there. I am going to be looking into one myself soon. EZ wire seems to have fairly cheap complete kits under $200, though it sounds like you may not need to completely redo yours. Here is a link just in case...

Wiring Harness

What engine is in it?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:57 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
is it stock, or modified, ??

Sam

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
You will be if you redo it all! Just work on one at a time and verify your work. After a while it will not seem so daunting.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
fordmanforlife246
Senior User
cool guys! i am in gilbert! close to you. well ive kinda replaced some stuff. all i need is just the simple wiring to get the truck to start. is there a way to tell if a wire or cable is bad or has a short?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Someone tell him how to get to Earl's World threads easily. There are wiring diagrams there. I don't have it. The search site from Fomoko doesn't go anywhere when I tried it. chuck

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...rial.html#1956 Taken from a thread at the bottom of this page. chuck

Last edited by 49fordpickumup; 03-11-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
53lakeside
Senior User

I just am finishing rewireing my 53 I used a product from Gem street rod products its an generic wire loom,but it was pretty easy to install.Used the same switches but my I have a 302 engine.So there are a few differances I sure..I think this product cost 180 or so it has 17 fuse and 1 breaker acording to the instructions. This is my 1st rewire...and the truck runs...success
Mark

Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Congradulations. Feels good to accomplish something and be rewarded. IT STARTED. chuck

Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Someone tell him how to get to Earl's World threads easily. There are wiring diagrams there. I don't have it. The search site from Fomoko doesn't go anywhere when I tried it. chuck

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...rial.html#1956 Taken from a thread at the bottom of this page. chuck
I checked and that search link worked good last nite.
Hopefully these stay working, abit off topic but with some helpful hints, ''re-wiring entire truck, 1954 f-100, painless kit ?''
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...nless-kit.html
Wiring Harness for a 1950 Ford Truck: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ord-truck.html

Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 AM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
yeah that would be the way to go is with painless wiring. and the easiest too. i helped my neighbor rewire his 51 international truck with the painless wiring kit. it works good now.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have suggested I Would consider installing a a aftermarket wiring kit sooner than later. Wiring problems can lead to all kind of problems and make you think you have other problems when its just a faulty wire or bad connection. Theses kits are relatively inexpensive too. I just took out a Ron Francis kit from my truck that the PO had done a terrible job of installing, luckly he did not cut anything and left all the excess wiring balled up under the carpet. I took the entire set up out including the fuse panel, remounted the fuse box and straightened out all his screw ups, everything was reinstalled from scratch and labeled accordingly. I cant say about other manufactures but Larry @ Ron francis tech line was outstanding to work with and answered all my questions promptly as I had no instructions to go by, they emailed copies of everything I needed.

Rick

Old 03-12-2011, 07:52 AM
tardster
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rewired my 55, it had a hacked up job in it. I used a Rebel wiring kit, it was under 200 and had directions for the all 3 brands (ford, chevy, dodge) plus if I had any questions all I had to do was call and thy helped me out without making me feel like a tard. They have several differant kits from just the basic harness to the big one which had wires for everything you could possibly want to put in your truck. Heres the link if your interested (Rebel Wire .:. Wire Kits for Real Rods), I got the 20 circuit kit second down on the right hand side...

Old 03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
fordmanforlife246
Senior User
yeah i used a couple of those diagrams and got everything wired up to what looks like is correct and no bueno still. im starting to think maybe i need a new starter or i may have a short somewhere. anyway i can test to see if i have a bad starter?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
I would check my grounds to the engine and cab first. I use my "car to car" "jumper cables for this. One end to the negative battery post ,the other to the block, Try to start. No Bueno, try the negative to a good ground point on the cab. No Bueno, use a mirror and check the starter post for clean(no corrision) tight connection. No Bueno, check your starter relay on the inside fender. Maybe you don't have any coil voltage (meter)when you turn the key. Check voltage on the output of the relay contacts(large post)(meter) that goes to the starter. There are other ways to jumper test but they are not safe. HIGH AMPS. Best test is to use a meter. No Bueno, remove starter and have parts store test starter. chuck

Quick Reply: anyone wire a 53 f100? new truck!