General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Replacement Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Windows

Have any of guys, replaced any windows lately? I live in New England and tight sealing windows make a heck of a difference during the winter months. I’d be looking at double hung and insulated units.

My house is about 20-years old and the windows have seen better days. These windows were really on the low-end of the quality level back in the day and it’s time to replace them.

I have a buddy who has been a general contractor for about 30-years and he will be helping out a little between the measuring and showing me how to do the capping.

I’d be installing them myself. Out my way, Marvin, Harvey and Pella are popular.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you thinking of vinyl or wood? Composite windows are becoming more popular also. I changed out several of mine, but they were vinyl sliders and awning type. Your friend would probably be able to tell you the best of the ones available.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have the money to spend, I'd suggest the Pellas. I've installed just about every brand of window at some point or another in my 19 years experience as a carpenter, and Pellas are the best in my opinion, but they are pricey.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I install doors and windows for a living.
Are you considering 'replacement' windows or Replacing your windows?
What can you tell me about the ones you have now?
If you're going to replace the existing windows (as opposed to replacement windows) then sizing becomes a controlling factor.
No one likes to rip open walls to reframe, and no one I know wants a smaller window.
So, once your contractor friend comes up with a list of rough opening sizes compare them to what's available from various manufacturers.
I've been surprised at the quality and service I've gotten from some more obscure manufacturers.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
The wife likes the look of the current wooden frames, but I'm wondering how stable wooden frames will keep a seal over the years.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I install doors and windows for a living.
Are you considering 'replacement' windows or Replacing your windows?
What can you tell me about the ones you have now?

So, once your contractor friend comes up with a list of rough opening sizes compare them to what's available from various manufacturers.
I've been surprised at the quality and service I've gotten from some more obscure manufacturers.
I'm looking at replacing my current widows with standard insulated replacement windows. I will not be changing their sizes. I just need better windows. The current ones are from like 1991 and don't look anything like the current crop I've looked at. They are single pane combinations with wood frames. They have no mechanical tilt-in mechanism. They tilt-in for cleaning by pushing on the vinyl window tracks. The fit has loosened up between the vinyl window tracks an the wooden frame causing a bad seal. The spring loaded ballasts are lousy and the windows often will flip out of their pivot point when cleaning them.

Who are some of the obscure manufacturers that you have seen good product and service with?

Thanks for the input from all of you!!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I'm surprised that anyone would have been using a non-insulated unit in New England circa 1991. Sorry to hear that yours have become such an issue.

Local and Federal tax credits sold a lot of windows for me the past couple of years.
Though the Federal credit has been rolled back there is still something in effect at least through 2011.

Have you and your wife considered a clad exterior, clear (natural wood) interior?
Both vinyl and aluminum clad are available.
I don't see any problem with wood sash. Doors have been a different story.
There has been a lot of shuffling around of this industry in the past decade.

Companies like Pozzi (now part of the Jeld-Wen family), Eagle (now an Andersen subsidiary), and Bonneville (for a true all wood sash) all seem like quality products from my perspective.
Windows | JELD-WEN Doors & Windows
Eagle Window - an Andersen Company - Premium aluminum-clad wood windows & doors
Doors manufacturer, windows manufacturer for door products and house renovation construction

Please check the NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) website for an independent review of window efficiency before making your choice.

Since you will be doing the install you should be realistic about your budget and purchase all the quality you can afford. As I said above, a lot has changed this century and it's not all for the better. Hardware/mechanisms and the wood itself seem flimsier as company's push for more profits and a competitive price.

I can say that you should be very careful if/when capping exteriors. I've seen more damage done by tiny leaks and even condensation inside the aluminum cap than any weather related problem to exposed frames where at least you can see the damage starting and the water has a chance to dry out.
When the caulk fails (and it will eventually) or rain finds a path in through a nail, that water will never evaporate and creates a sauna for fungi and bacteria to start consuming the cellulose in not only the window but the framing surrounding it.

Hope this isn't too long winded....

Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I replaced my windows in 2005 and I hired the man to do the work. He swore up and down that the Thermostar window from Lowes is the best thing known to man as they are made by Pella.

I bought these windows and watched the man install and helped him with a few. These windows, though better than the construction grade windows that they replaced are still IMHO, crap. They are nothing more than modern day construction grade windows.

Shame on me doing less research than I should have.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:41 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When our house was built (1988), we 'allowed' the builder to put in the standard 'construction grade' windows and doors.
What a mistake!!!!
These windows were made by "Capitol". (Aluminum frames, but double paned.) Pure JUNK!!! The frames would get cold and through convection, the whole house would get cold!
Condensation was terrible, too.

We could've had Anderson windows installed during construction, for an additional $200 per window. (We've got 15 windows in this house!)
At the time, I just didn't have the $$$.

We talked to different companies and installers over the years.

I (literally) threw a guy out, because he didn't talk to me, he READ from a manual. When I'd ask him a question, he's pause, then go to another part of his 'book' to give me the answer.

We finally got these cheap windows replaced with vinyl replacement windows, two years ago. They're made by Symington. (sp??)
Triple paned. Tilt-in for cleaning.
We bought these through Sears, but a local installer put them in.
We're very happy with them! The house is warmer in winter. . . cooler in summer.

Don't even ask what we paid for 'em. I can't remember.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
When our house was built (1988), we 'allowed' the builder to put in the standard 'construction grade' windows and doors.
What a mistake!!!!
These windows were made by "Capitol". (Aluminum frames, but double paned.) Pure JUNK!!! The frames would get cold and through convection, the whole house would get cold!
Condensation was terrible, too.

We could've had Anderson windows installed during construction, for an additional $200 per window. (We've got 15 windows in this house!)
At the time, I just didn't have the $$$.

We talked to different companies and installers over the years.

I (literally) threw a guy out, because he didn't talk to me, he READ from a manual. When I'd ask him a question, he's pause, then go to another part of his 'book' to give me the answer.

We finally got these cheap windows replaced with vinyl replacement windows, two years ago. They're made by Symington. (sp??)
Triple paned. Tilt-in for cleaning.
We bought these through Sears, but a local installer put them in.
We're very happy with them! The house is warmer in winter. . . cooler in summer.

Don't even ask what we paid for 'em. I can't remember.

Contractor recommended are usually the worst. They want you to buy what they make the most on from their suppliers in many cases.

I'm in houses on a routine basis in new england. Alot happens to various windows over the years. Most are nice when new but few last. I'm familiar with a few of those double hung thermopane contractor specials from the late 80's. Many were wood tilts around here. They were very popular but home owners can't even find replacements for the fragile mulliens many of them had and that's if the tilt mechanism isn't broke, woods rotten or if you can still see through the glass.

My .02 for Dave........My favorite window is the High Performance Andersen.

Based on what I've seen and against some 'experts' advice about being overpriced we put them in when we built our house in 95. All are just like new today. They had a 10 year hardware /20 yr seal guarantee and they stand by it. After 10 yrs I had a slight problem with the glass in a frenchwood door, called them....two days later FedEx was at the house with a new door. ($800.00) It's still sitting in the garage, been waiting for the door glass to worsen and become easily noticable, it hasn't. In my experience the seal holds up better than Pella overall, which is a very good window just the same. Andersen has a great track record of standing behind their products which means alot if you're going to be in the house awhile. Many contractors don't like them, unsure why, but Andersen will treat homeowners very well.

In my opinion only, the best way to figure out what you want to install is to start by asking yourself, How much longer am I going to be in this house?.

5-8 years or less, buy whatever you can find that you'll feel comfortable with unless you're convinced the next owner will appreciate the importance of really good windows. Most don't care about windows unless they can point out a problem.

Any longer than 8-10yrs , buy something with a good track record or else new buyers will be complaining about broken hardware and smoked out thermo panes in various windows ( which means they have little energy value left) or you'll find yourself replacing windows again.

The High Performance Andersens is my choice mainly for their glass seal life but Pella is also very good along with a few in the Marvin line.

Some people will replace a few at time with high end windows rather than replace all at once with a window they're not so sure of.

I paid extra back then even though we probably couldn't afford it, ( had to skimp on interior doors and a few other things )but it was definately worth it in the end.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Flexfuel-Dave

They are single pane combinations with wood frames. They have no mechanical tilt-in mechanism. They tilt-in for cleaning by pushing on the vinyl window tracks. The fit has loosened up between the vinyl window tracks an the wooden frame causing a bad seal. The spring loaded ballasts are lousy and the windows often will flip out of their pivot point when cleaning them.
If you have what I think you have those pivot points are a problem but they're supposed to pop out like that. It's how the window is removed. Many find out the hard way. The pins break and/or the mount tears lose if you're not careful about insuring the pin is set back in the tension mechanism properly , especially if the window isn't framed right. Then when you close the window again , it won't set ,the wood gets chipped because the window isn't square and you mess up the vinyl track and it's seal in the process. Very common. They're horrible. You're doing the right thing and you won't miss the combo's either.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Andersen stands by us contractors too.
I have no problem with them.

For obscure parts like balances and pivots try Blaine Manufacturing.
They have a web presence and an extensive catalog.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Andersen stands by us contractors too.
I have no problem with them.

For obscure parts like balances and pivots try Blaine Manufacturing.
They have a web presence and an extensive catalog.
Sorry.
Maybe 'some contractors' would have been a much better choice of words.

I didn't want to swing off topic so I didn't go there......... but some people think an Andersen is an Andersen not realizing they had different grade windows over the years then compare the experiences they've had dealing with low end windows from Andersen with something like a nice Pella or a high end Marvin and then Andersen is nothing but over priced junk in their minds.

Others have said Pella and Marvin are much better to work with when custom set-ups and so forth are involved which is a big factor for some of them. I'm not sure how true that is but it makes sense and I understand the reasoning.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Flexfuel-Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by Edkajo
If you have what I think you have those pivot points are a problem but they're supposed to pop out like that. It's how the window is removed. Many find out the hard way. The pins break and/or the mount tears lose if you're not careful about insuring the pin is set back in the tension mechanism properly......
Those are the beauties I have. Lining up the window pins with the hole in the spring mechanism isn't that easy. Add on top of that their lack of sealing and they are asking to be replaced.

My buddy just stopped by to do some quick measuring and he'll be getting an idea for an estimated cost. I won't have to be doing any capping. I was under the impression that I might have to do this.

He generally installs Harvey windows.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
If Harvey is what your buddy prefers , you feel comfortable with what he show's you, the price is right and the replacement appears to be fairly easy, go with it. Also keep in mind his experience with them will be priceless to you. Unsure of anything new that harvey has out there right now but they're usually just an average window as far as quality goes, still a hundred times better than what you have now. Just be aware of it as far as what you should expect out of them down the road.

Not to be distrustful of your buddy's efforts but with the kind of money you'll most likely be dishing out, it might be a good idea to run to HD , Lowes or whatever and just get a close idea of what some of the high end windows are running in comparison to what you'll be installing with Harvey.

Sometimes there's a huge difference, sometimes not as much as you might think. Whatever you decide make sure it's what works for you.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Builders specials, like an Andersen 200 Narrowline installed with no exterior trim whatsoever are just the lowest common denominator.
Same with kitchen cabinets. How many almond melamine cabinets with continuous oak pulls and woodgrain printed cardboard interiors were installed in the '80's???
It's cheap & it works......for today.

I don't want to get into a debate over brand.
Look at the sizes available, features and quality, then decide what best fits your budget.

Quick Reply: Replacement Windows