Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Posting Guru

porthole has a good reputation on FTE.porthole has a good reputation on FTE.porthole has a good reputation on FTE.
Urea tank - DEF SCR problems with GM

Found this on the D/A forums. GM apparently has a few problems and while awaiting a recall to be devised, the SCR is being turned off at the dealers.

GM RECALL (soon) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior User

Rutcutter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yea GM is having ALOT of problems with there systems!
Rancho shocks & dual stabilizers,
HID Headlight upgrade,Adj. High Idle Mod
2008 6.4L CC (Sold)
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Senior User

blue oval fan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my buddy that bought a 11 dmax has been back to the dealer 3 times for DEF issues. the dealer even offered to buy the truck back from him! he said no tho
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Does any of this have to do with the tank being on the outside of the frame or just system failures?

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Posting Guru

djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
man... what kind of havoc is this going to cause at emissions testing locations... I guess GMers will just have to get inspected at dealers until they figure this out
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I wonder why GM took the route of limp mode vs. our Fords keep running; the side effect seems to be more fuel burnt on the Fords.
You would think the EPA would require similar requirements for all DEF vehicles.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Here is a link to a virtual "War and Peace" on the GM problem.

DEF problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

51 pages and counting...
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Postmaster

EpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud ofEpicCowlick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
Here is a link to a virtual "War and Peace" on the GM problem.

DEF problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

51 pages and counting...
Eeek.... factor this into the cost of DEF. Just reading through the thread is about $400 worth of my time! That will buy a lot of DEF!

Oh, and the time I spend on FTE is, of course, worth it.
2" leveling kit/Rancho 9000XL shocks & dual stabilizer/B&W Hitch/Firestone Ride Rite Airbags/Air Lift Wireless On-board compressor/Viar on-board compressor & train horn/Titan 50 gallon tank/Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal Mod
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
just sad....

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Senior User

F2502011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can the need for DEF be eliminated that easily on our Fords and has anyone successfully done it?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Postmaster

rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2502011 View Post
Can the need for DEF be eliminated that easily on our Fords and has anyone successfully done it?
Do you like your warranty?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Elder User

cummins cowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the worst vehicles I have ever seen have been GM products, funny those labels they put on have looked exactly the same since the '70's. if you have a long lasting reliable GM product I would say you got lucky. but people still seem to keep on buying.

I still remember the lumina's, berettas, astros, and those slant nose vans of the mid to early 90's ***** would come off in your hand, the door handle may break off, the dash would be bulging and the head liner sagging down on your head. ford has made some terds too, windstars and taurus come to mind and the 6.0, had a neighbor with an '06 6.0 had tons of problems sold it and bought an '11 dodge, too bad he didn't stick with ford I think a new one would have made him happy.

Most Wanted Disaster Services

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior User

F2502011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
Do you like your warranty?
dunno haven't used or needed it but seriously I was just wondering if our setup was as simple as just pulling a fuse or reflashing and voila like it was never there like on the GM vehicles.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2502011 View Post
dunno haven't used or needed it but seriously I was just wondering if our setup was as simple as just pulling a fuse or reflashing and voila like it was never there like on the GM vehicles.
It appears to me the temporary GM fix is considerably more involved than pulling a fuse. It looks like a completely new ECM program to allow the bypassing of the DEF injection system without triggering CEL's and limp mode operation. I would think you would need to backwards engineer the computer coding to duplicate the results. GM and Ford have the source code so it is easier for them. JMO

Look at Trucklands thread. He just found out his warranty was worth at least $2000.

Regards
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Senior User

stsmark is starting off with a positive reputation.
A couple of thoughts, I'm really glad the friend did not give his Dmax back in the previous post. No 2011 Dmax and we would not have free 400/800. I do find it ironic at how easy (and quietly) GM was able to get an open ended exemption out of EPA and CARB. I seem to remember a bunch of folks (not here) bagging on Dodge about having an exemption since they weren't using DEF this year when in fact they just have a different strategy for treatment.

Other than having to fill it DEF is our best friend, it knocks down NOX emissions with out any performance affect in fact the opposite is true. A large portion of the fuel economy gains of our engines over the 6.4 is the reduction of EGR required due to the DEF doing the same job. If I had a choice I would have a 20 gallon DEF tank and no EGR system in a heartbeat. If for no other reason than the contamination of the oil it causes.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2011, alabama, bid, def, diesel, engines, ford, forum, gm, gmc, problems, recall, spec, state, testing, tool, truck, trucks, urea