Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
New User

FordPhan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford's New 5.0L engine swap

The reverse in my 1990 Bronco went out around the end of January 2011 or so and would REALLY love to get the new 5.0L Ford Coyote engine and transmission installed.

ANY suggestions on how to get this done?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Post Fiend

greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
Research the heck out of it. Let us know how it turns out. Nothing will swap so you are into fabrication and modification to make it work. Fortunately it shares transmission configuration with the 4.6L so I imagine any truck transmission from a truck so-equipped should work as long as there is a PCM that will run it and the Coyote in harmony. Its going to need all of the electronic peripherals to make it function along with wiring and computer. I imagine being able to develop the kind of HP that it does shouldn't be a problem moving something the size/weight of a Bronco around but the tuning may need to be tweaked to really get maximum performance from it. (As if 412 ponies would need tweaking as long as they found their way to the pavement eventually).

Big Bronco FAQ's

Old 03-10-2011, 01:27 AM
New User

Ok thanks. But this forum is part of my research it. So far I've just found the 5.0L coyote engine, control pack and an alternator kit. I've also thought of just calling salvage yards or even my insurance agent to see about getting the drive train from a wrecked 2011 F150.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Post Fiend

Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a very good reputation on FTE.
buying a wrecked vehicle would make the swap easier but understand NOBODY has done this yet at all. This swap would be a first that i am aware of. be prepared to spend some bucks on this also especially if you cant weld/fabricate.
Edelbrock efi intake JBA shorty,CustomY pipe/exhaust
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=4158
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
New User

Thanks but I'm aware that it will cost a lot for this swap. The parts alone are gonna be at least $10K. Guess I'm gonna have to rent a garage too or move into a house that has one cuz this could take months or years to do. And I guess I'm also also gonna have to take a welding course.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Senior User

StuntmanFyke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've seen 4.6's in older foxbody stangs.... so just maybe there are some parts out there. I know Ford has a carb intake for them, to make the new engines more swappable, and a few years ago had 2 demo vehicles, 1 was a 53 panel UPS styled truck with new drivetrain, and the other was i wanna say a 67 stang. It's been awhile so i'd check with Ford Racing and see what they say.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Post Fiend

greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.greystreak92 has a great reputation on FTE.
The Coyote 5.0L is barely available in new Mustangs and is slated to be available as a Ford crate engine very soon but there is no way (or good reason) for a carburetor to be put on it. Without the EFI and the computer for timing and fuel/air metering... what's the point? Those things are what give this engine its better than 400 HP capacity. Am I missing something?

Big Bronco FAQ's

Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Senior User

This is quoted from 1965 Mustang Fastback with 5.0 Cammer | FR100 UPS 1953 Panel Truck with Supercharged 5.0 Cammer
"According to Andy Schwartz, FRPP "Cammer" engine project manager, "Even with the carburetors in place of our advanced fuel injection setup, the 5.0-liter four-valve "Cammer" in the '65 Mustang delivers a healthy 420 horsepower at 6700 rpm. And the torque curve peaks at about 395 foot-pounds at 4000 rpm."
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Postmaster

Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntmanFyke View Post
This is quoted from 1965 Mustang Fastback with 5.0 Cammer | FR100 UPS 1953 Panel Truck with Supercharged 5.0 Cammer
"According to Andy Schwartz, FRPP "Cammer" engine project manager, "Even with the carburetors in place of our advanced fuel injection setup, the 5.0-liter four-valve "Cammer" in the '65 Mustang delivers a healthy 420 horsepower at 6700 rpm. And the torque curve peaks at about 395 foot-pounds at 4000 rpm."
Notice he said "carburetors" Gas mileage will be terrible at best without the Fuel Injection.
1968 Mustang Coupe Booms Restomod Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Post Fiend

Yeah, without the computer and precise fuel metering that comes with EFI and controlled valve timing, you are still going backwards and dumping way more fuel into the system than necessary. I could get 375 HP out of my bone stock Cadi 472 with the secondaries reworked to open with the primaries. But with only 25 gallons of fuel in the tank I could pass everything on the highway... except the filling station.

Big Bronco FAQ's

Old 03-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Senior User

Thats not true, if you have a mechanical setup set right, it will equal the digital equivalent. You can't let the computer do everything for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Postmaster

Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
The computer timing is what makes the new 5.0 the powerhouse and gives it the mpgs. Were not saying you can't swap it in and throw carbs on it. You just wont be getting 400 hp and 26 mpgs.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
New User

Derk Mc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just chiming in...I'm wanting to do this in a 73 F100.

I have just started researching it.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM
New User

There is some good news on this subject. Bronco Driver is doing a 2007 Mustang engine and transmission installation into a 1976 Bronco in issue # 50. The project name is Operation Screamin' Demon (1976 Early Bronco). And is mentioned here:

Bronco Driver Magazine's Project Broncos

It's not the new 5.0L engine swap but it's a good start I'd say.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
Fitting a new gen engine in a Bronco sounds nice, i'll stay around and see what develops.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco

Tags
1990, 50, bronco, coyote, efi, engine, ford, fords, induction, motor, mustang, specs, swap, swaps, system, trucks