Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Freshman User

T.A. is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess my take on chrome clad wheels is a little bit different then most.

First of all this is not a new trend...........my 99 Expedition had chrome clad rims and it seems many manufacturers are doing it nowadays (take a look at Jeep and Chrysler products).

I've now had three vehicles with chrome clads, a Grand Cherokee and two Expeditions (99 and 07). My experience is that all three sets have held up as good, if not better, then traditional chrome rims I've had in the past. The 99 I traded last year had over 100k on it, sat out every day of its life, and was driven on PA salt covered roads every winter. The rims were absolutely perfect when I traded it.

Now I must admit I do take pretty good care of my vehicles. I don't allow brake dust to sit on them too long and I regularly throw a quick coat of wax on them after I wash them. That being said, I've done the same in the past with sets of traditional chrome wheels and none have lasted this well. So maybe the extra care mine get make the chrome clad more durable, but I'd be doing it anyway so its no big deal to me.

I like the look of the chrome clad 20s on my 07, but I must admit they are the most PITA wheels I've ever owned. This has nothing to do with them being chrome clad, but more to do with all the damn sharp angles on these things. I swear washing, drying, and throwing a quick coat of wax on the wheels takes longer than doing the whole truck! They do look good though and the chrome clad thing really doesn't bother me as long as they last. 99.9% of the people would never know they weren't regular chrome wheels. My .02$
Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 PM
New User

racewave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 09 F350 FX with 16000 miles on it. Tonight while washing it the right front Chrome cladding over the 18" steel wheel came loose. I put the spare tire on the right front then just lifted the cladding away from the steel leaving a lot of some type adhesive on the wheel, in the areas the adhesive came off the steel wheel paint looks great. I will take it to dealer and see what they will do. Does anybody know of a solvent for the adhesive that would leave the paint on the wheel, I would prefer the plain painted steel wheel rather than the junky plastic. The plastic just makes it harder to use the air gage and chuck on the valve stems.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
New User

The dealer is ordering me a new rim and will remount my tire under warranty. It is considered trim not driveline so after the 3yr 36000 it will be on me. I can see this will eventually occur on the others. I saved a chunk of the expanding foam adhesive so I can test various solvents on it. On my truck the 18" wheel with the cladding off looks exactly like the spare wheel except painted silver instead of black, and covered with a mess of adhesive. When out of warranty and during the next tire replacement the cladding will be history.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
New User

I just tested chunks of the expanding foam adhesive used on the plastic clad wheels. I used several types of solvents, only submersion in Acetone did anything to the adhesive. A fine wire hand brush does cut into it very quickly. Looks like when the next one fails it will be wirebrushing, sanding, prepping, and painting. At this point I would be happy if I had four more of the spares, that would give me 5 matching rims in black steel. The wheel hook strap for highlift recovery jacks can not be used in the hole with the cladding but works fine on uncald wheels. Hard to belive Ford would put this junk on the FX4 package. I suppose the consumer is somewhat to blame for wanting shiny more than function.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Junior User

Boomer1956 is starting off with a positive reputation.
fake chrome rims

Check even closer. Don't know about your 08, but my 07 EL Limited has the same chrome clad and the spare is a 17". If you tow, look at your spare, I think that is a safety hazard and really a bunch of crap from FMC, and yes 50K should not get us plastic.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Freshman User

T.A. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1956 View Post
Check even closer. Don't know about your 08, but my 07 EL Limited has the same chrome clad and the spare is a 17". If you tow, look at your spare, I think that is a safety hazard and really a bunch of crap from FMC, and yes 50K should not get us plastic.
Thats strange, my 07 EB has a 20" spare. I wonder if it was an option?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Junior User

Boomer1956 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess your EB being more expensive deserved 20". Maybe FMC thought going from a 20 to a 17 was bad, but an 18 to a 17 was worth the risk. Just a thought.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior User

ScottyDsntKnow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You know what is really nice? Chrome powdercoat rims. I had a set of OEM Acura 19" RDX rims that were powdercoated "chrome" on the Honda CR-V I just sold and it is the best of both worlds. Looks like chrome, when cleaned up it is very deceiving and you have to really look to tell it isn't chrome, it doesn't tarnish or pit like chrome does and if it is damaged it is very inexpensive to fix. I took them off to sell when I sold the car and one of them has come curb rash on it. It would be $65 to have it professionally touched up and blended without even pulling the tire off. Most good powdercoaters charge about $100/wheel for a sandblast and powdercoat which is chump change compared to getting rims dipped. Just my $.02 from experience having had real chrome rims before and never ever wanting to deal with them again.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior User

RI-Matt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A. View Post
Are you sure it came factory that way? Check the door jamb label and it will tell you what came with the truck originally.

My 08 Limited came with stock 20's but the spare is only an 18".
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Senior User

King Rex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am digging up an old thread! Can you order these chrome wheel caps and replace yourself or are they "super glued" to the rim and will not come off.

2011, F-350 king ranch, 4x4, 3.73 gears, gasser, CC, 8' bed, Rough Country 2" leveled, 295x75x18 Goodyear DuraTracs, CB, rear aux lights, 55w hella lights on the chrome bull bar, Rear LED light bar

2008, EXPY king ranch (For the wife)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Postmaster

berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A. View Post
That was a mistake. Should have been 17"

Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM