Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
Building an auxiliary fuel/gas tank

I’m seriously considering building an auxiliary gas tank for my 2000 F-350 V10 and mount it where the spare tire would normally mount. The shape would be tire size 32” x 10” which calculates into 33 gallons of fuel. The actual amount would likely be something less but still a nice auxiliary tank to assist while towing. The location would allow for mounting a fill pipe and gas cap in the middle of the bumper, below the tailgate and above/behind the license plate. I would use a transfer pump to move fuel from the auxiliary tank into the main tank through the fill pipe.

What challenges do I need to consider during the build? Do I install a pressure relief valve to ensure the tank doesn’t over pressure? Do I hook up the tank to the existing vapor recovery system? How do I ensure I don’t overfill the main tank? Any other issues I my have over looked.

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
I hope you don't get rear ended after you do this. I just think of the days with the Pinto.

I've seen aux. tanks in the bed of the trucks from Highways magazine.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Senior User

V10ZILLA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.V10ZILLA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Transflow tanks. I know its great and the sense of acomplishment of doing your own mod's. BUT I would be to dam paranoid about a gas tank that close to the rear.

Last edited by V10ZILLA; 03-09-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
First the fuel tank on a cab chassis is mounted where the spare tire would be on a boxed truck, it's still between the frame and protected by the frame from the rear. The Pintos didn't have a frame just body parts.

The way I have my inbox aux tank plumbed would probably work for you. I use a Holley rotary fuel pump to pump fuel into the main tank fill pipe and I run a vent line to the vent line next to the fill line on the main tank. I have a fuel gauge mounted in the aux tank so I can see its fuel level so I don't run it dry. I have a lighted switch that only has power when the ignition is on to power the pump. the Aux tank will have to be sealed and none vented to keep the check engine light from coming on but running a vent to the main tank stops that. I used a piece of 1 1/4 EMT conduit with a piece of 3/8 copper tubing silver soldered to it for the fill and a piece of 1/2 EMT conduit with 1/4 copper solder into it for the vent. The fill and vent line is cut about 12" down from the fill cap. The only problem I have is my aux tank will siphon into the main tank so I installed a manual shutoff valve but mine is above the main tank not of the same level like yours would be and your lines would be going up to the filler tube so it shouldn't be a problem. Remember to leave at least 20% expansion room in the tank.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Posting Guru

BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.BCHauler has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't think there would be any safety issues with the tank in that location. The previous generation Ford trucks (like my old 94) had two tanks, one of them in the exact place you are thinking of. The stock tank from that generation of truck was an 18 gallon. There are aftermarket replacements that size up to 38 gallons. I replaced mine with a 32 gallon bronco tank. The only difficult thing with all of that generations tanks is that they fill from a second door on the drivers side so fill location would have to be sorted out.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
I appreciate you addressing the safety aspect of this project! I considered building/purchasing a tank for the bed…and haven’t totally abandon that option. It just seems the spare tire location would work the best for several of the reasons many of you already mentioned. The siphon effect shouldn’t be an issue with both tanks being at the same level and the vent and transfer lines routed above the top of both tanks. I like the idea of joining the vent lines together…that should help with the vapor issue in the new tank!? I haven’t figured out what to use for a gas cap and filler tube on the new tank. Does the cap need to vent? I was also going to install a drain valve (protected by a skid plate to prevent damage) at the bottom front of the tank. I was thinking of using an external fuel pump pulling from the top of the tank…would this work? Or would I need the suction line coming off the bottom of the tank? What about baffles? Do you think there’s a need from internal baffles?

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Senior User

EXCURSIONATOR1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel Cells - SummitRacing.com
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Pipeline View Post
I appreciate you addressing the safety aspect of this project! I considered building/purchasing a tank for the bed…and haven’t totally abandon that option. It just seems the spare tire location would ersonname>workersonname> the best for several of the reasons many of you already mentioned. The siphon effect shouldn’t be an issue with both tanks being at the same level and the vent and transfer lines routed above the top of both tanks. I like the idea of joining the vent lines together…that should help with the vapor issue in the new tank!? I haven’t figured out what to use for a gas cap and filler tube on the new tank. Does the cap need to vent? I was also going to install a drain valve (protected by a skid plate to prevent damage) at the bottom front of the tank. I was thinking of using an external fuel pump pulling from the top of the tank…would this ersonname>workersonname>? Or would I need the suction line coming off the bottom of the tank? What about baffles? Do you think there’s a need from internal baffles?
The filler cap has to be none vented or it will interfere with the trucks vapor system and give you a check engine light. It's best to draw from the top of the tank for safety reasons. This is the pump I use Holley Performance Products 97 GPH “RED” Electric Fuel Pump*12-801-1. I would also baffle the tank. This is the tank I have been using (older style) for 14 years Truck Fuel and Tool Box Combinations - Custom Truck Fueltank & Toolbox Combo | Handy Industries.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Junior User

REDSLED08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did a lot of research and was heading in the same direction as you trying to carry a little extra fuel capacity. For starters to remain DOT compliant the tank cannot drain/feed from the bottom. Secondly, and keep in mind this info was for my '08, the vapor recovery system is only rated to manage a total of about 60 gallons of gasoline. So after searching and scheming for a couple months how to do all this on the cheap, I broke down and replaced my stock 30.5 gallon tank with a 47 gallon replacement from Transferflow. It's a complete plug and play straight forward install. No check engine lights, no creative plumbing, no hassle. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Haven't I read about folks putting the fuel tanks from Excursions into pickups???
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSLED08 View Post
I did a lot of research and was heading in the same direction as you trying to carry a little extra fuel capacity. For starters to remain DOT compliant the tank cannot drain/feed from the bottom. Secondly, and keep in mind this info was for my '08, the vapor recovery system is only rated to manage a total of about 60 gallons of gasoline. So after searching and scheming for a couple months how to do all this on the cheap, I broke down and replaced my stock 30.5 gallon tank with a 47 gallon replacement from Transferflow. It's a complete plug and play straight forward install. No check engine lights, no creative plumbing, no hassle. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the information on keeping the install DOT compliant! I've looked at the Transferflow tanks...very nice but 1k is more then I want to spend. Heck, I only paid 9k for the truck! One of the suggestions from excurionsator1 really has me thinking about one of those tanks from summit. It's a little smaller then I originally planned, but large enough to do the job. I'm not sure I could build a tank for the price I could get one from summit? Still in the planning stage. I'm trying to get my autometer gauges, F650 lower dash, and kc lights installed before I move onto the tank.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Elder User

infinite-foamies is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this thread is pretty well dead, but for anyone looking into building a tank (like me!) here is a great source for filler necks/caps.

Fuel Tank Accessories
65' M35A2 Continental Multifuel
71' 3dr Burban 4x4 Upcoming 4BT swap
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Junior User

LSCR351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Working on a Bronco tank in mine now. OP must have give up.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 AM