Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Freshman User

Justins68ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
352 bored so its a 360 piston question

I just got my 352 back from the shop, now a 360 since it was bored .050 over, I had to order pistons for it so I ordered these Keith Black/KB Pistons 1131H-STD - Keith Black Silv-O-Lite Hypereutectic Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com as they were the one of the only 2 offered by summit, my question is why are they "press to fit"? (both were "press to fit" by the way) and is this going to cause me any problems in getting them put on my old rods? (old pistons are free floating as are all FE's stock I believe) other than costing me more money at the machine shop. sorry if I sound ignorant, it is becasue i am, lol, this is my first engine rebuild. I am learning a ton.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Posting Guru

bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bmuhlbach is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
summit has a great tech line you could call for info.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
You can't just use 360 pistons on 352 rods in a 352 block or you will have extremely poor compression. The 352 uses 1.825" compression height pistons, while the 360 uses 1.759" compression height pistons. You'll have less power than the 352 had to begin with. I think you can just use 360 rods though, the bearings are the same between the 352 and 360.
The wrist pin may press into either the rod or the piston, it doesn't really clarify that in the product page. For ones pressed into the rod, you need to heat the small end of the rod quite hot, and freezing the pin helps as well, then just drop them together quickly. You basically have one shot at it, if you don't get it where it needs to be right off, then you may do damage taking them back apart to try again.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Freshman User

While I greatly appreciate your response, it makes me want to kick the guy who bored my block right in the nuts for giving me bad info, so, what your saying is my only option at this point is to buy new piston rods? ( I really do thank you for responding in a timely matter, and by that I mean before i had the pistons pressed onto the rods) i could have had him bore it differently and i could have used bigger 352 pistons thus saving me a little money, no wonder 352 pistons are 100 dollars more than 360 piston. Oh well I guess this way I get new rods too. thank you again
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Freshman User

so connecting rods are 400 bucks............................
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Freshman User

so rods wont solve my problem either........ please help me what do i do?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Freshman User

sorry for flooding with posts, So what options do I have, do I need to take the engine back have it bored .010 more over making it .060 over total allowing me to buy 352 pistons that are 4.060? how much horsepower loss are we talking about here if I stick with the 360 pistons?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Postmaster

Mike G is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 360 still uses the 352 pistons, however, those KB are the replacements for the 390 which do in fact have a shorter top (compression height). Did the guy who worked the motor recommend these pistons? My suggestion would be to use the thin copper shim head gaskets instead of the regular thick ones, this will bring your compression back up. Unless of course you can find some 360 pistons. When I built my motor, I went with a 390 rotating assembly and stuck the 360 pistons in.
1968 Cougar XR7 (wife's toy)
2001 F350 Long-Crew-Dual-4x4-7.3L TD Hoss
Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Freshman User

well he was supposed to order all my parts for me but I got there and he was missing the pistons, since his shop is a 2 hour drive away i told him I would order them myself off summit and have them shipped, all he said I had to do was order stock 360 pistons so i went on summit put in ford Fe 360 with 4.050 pistons and that is what came up. I just checked again and speed pro offers some, the compression distance is the same 1.759 for a 360 FE. Also just out of curiousity how come they dont offer pistons for a 1967 352 just the years before?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Freshman User

So I am very confused now, if a 352 has the same crank, connecting rods, and stroke as a 360, wouldn't putting 360 pistons in my bored over 352 make it have the same compression as a stock 360, or are the heads different?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
The 360 has a shorter compression height than the 352, and longer rods. The 360 and 390 have the same compression height, it's not just the KB pistons. A 360 can't use 352 pistons or you would have .050" of slop around the piston too.
Another option would be to swap in a full 390 rotating assembly, they are available used and there are users who have them listed in the marketplace section as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Freshman User

So just to make sure I have this correct the 352 pistons have a compresion distance (center wrist pin to top of piston head) of 1.816. Me trying to use 360 pistons with a compression distance of 1.760 wont work because the stock 352 rods im going to try and use have a length of 6.546 or something close and the rods i need should be 6.490, i under stand so if I use a cylinder head gasket that is .056 less than the standard i should be good right??? in theory
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Freshman User

sorry i reversed the rod sizes i believe, also how much horsepower loss are we talking, so my set up would be smaller rod with smaller piston so i would be .112 shy of where i needed to be at tdc
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I think the standard head gasket thickness is around .040, so you can't get that much out of it.
You're probably going to be off about 20-25hp from the 360's power, but the bigger concern is the loss of quench area. The 360 already is a bit lax in this department, with quite a bit of space between the head and piston. More space, and you have an extreme susceptibility to pre-ignition and detonation due to poor flame front propagation.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Freshman User

cool, I was planning on taking the pistons in tomorrow to have a different engine shop do the R&R of the new pistons, but instead i think i will discuss my options of maybe ordering custom pistons with the proper 1.816 height and 4.050 bore, i see no other choice other tan just bumping it up to a 390 kit, just sucks cause i already had this crank cut, and new rods are so expensive, i really appreciate the help if i would have know earlier i would have just done the .030 bore and bought the more expensive 352 pistons oh well its all a learning experience, this is my first complete engine rebuild and boy am I learning a lot.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
352, 360, 390, area, bored, compression, engine, fe, ford, low, pistons, quench, ratio, stock, truck