Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Lessons learned fixing my front end and wandering problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 PM
carlspeed
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much play does the steering have when everything is right? I have 35"s, and I just did all the tie rods and ball joints. I adjusted the steering box slightly, but I'm afraid to do much more, as I don't want to damage it any more than it might already be. This is how much play I have now. Can someone shed some light on how normal it is?

Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would expect less play than that if everything is good.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
dunnerjeff
Junior User
i love the dbl stabilizer set up with bilsten 5100's out here in az we have a lot of off road areas and there you feel it. I've done the track bar due to the lift kit and both sets of ball joints.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:20 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by carlspeed
How much play does the steering have when everything is right? I have 35"s, and I just did all the tie rods and ball joints. I adjusted the steering box slightly, but I'm afraid to do much more, as I don't want to damage it any more than it might already be. This is how much play I have now. Can someone shed some light on how normal it is?

Play in steering - YouTube

Steering wheel play - YouTube
That's about the play I have. I figured it was the steering box, but would be really interested if you found your problem?

Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 PM
carlspeed
Cross-Country
I'm going to order a steering box in the next couple weeks. If I don't post back, remind me, and I'll take a post box install video to show the difference, if any.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I'm going to order a steering box in the next couple weeks. If I don't post back, remind me, and I'll take a post box install video to show the difference, if any.
That would be great, thanks!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Mississippi013
New User
I have 35's as well. Did you ever replace the box or find the fix? My steering wheel moves about the same amount.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mississippi013
I have 35's as well. Did you ever replace the box or find the fix? My steering wheel moves about the same amount.
If you're asking me, no findings yet, just been living with it

Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
carlspeed
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Mississippi013
Mine is substantially better with the new red head box. After about 5k miles, it's loosened up, which is really frustrating, but it's no where near as bad as it was. I figure I could probably get some higher quality ball joints and steering bars, but honestly, I thigh that with 35's, it's not going to get much better. I don't have the truck tonight, I'll try to remember to post a video next time I'm out, just to compare.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 AM
slickf259
New User
ball joints

Just wanted to pass some good news along to everyone. Northern auto parts.com has the very best prices on ball joints and many many other parts. Ordered upper and lower for my 99 F250 SD got them in three days with free shipping. I was Leary at first when I found the company online so I called them and just placed my order over the phone. Best experience I've ever had when ordering parts.
These are genuine MOOG parts are brand new and I saved almost $200 from the quote from Oriellys auto parts. Northernautoparts.com
Give them a try...you should be impressed.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We got good prices with Rock Auto as well,I will check there site out,thanks.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 AM
slickf259
New User
Originally Posted by crop harvester
We got good prices with Rock Auto as well,I will check there site out,thanks.
I also looked into rock auto good prices as well but the free shipping sealed the deal from northern auto parts.com

Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Have either of you guys checked Amazon's pricing for Moog parts? Personally along with their liberal return/exchange/warranty support for Moog products I found them hard to beat.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 PM
slickf259
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Have either of you guys checked Amazon's pricing for Moog parts? Personally along with their liberal return/exchange/warranty support for Moog products I found them hard to beat.
Yes. Matter of fact I had both sides upper and lower ball joints in my cart ready to check out. I decided to see who the seller was and see where the parts where shipping from. Northern auto parts. So I looked their web site up and decided to call and I asked basic questions about the company and went ahead and told them what I was wanting. I just went ahead and ordered right then. Free shipping and parts were at the house in three days!
$151 total. Can't beat that deal

Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM
MajorDave
New User
Bumping an old thread...Great info. I tore apart everything from Pitman out to include axle - differential - inner seals - hubs etc etc. All new going in.
*2002 F-350 7.3 4x4 stock wheels/tires.
Going back together now. Have knuckles on but stopped...
1. Driver knuckle is noticably harder to move by hand. I did correct torque and procedure as well. I am figuringing it will simply lossen up a bit or maybe it is supposed to be very tight?
2. Any tricks of the trade? Put on tie rods first, steering stabilizer, and THEN AXLE?? Is it easier to manipulate? Or should I put in the axle/hub first and then the tire rods --- or does it even matter? Just thought lessons learned may save me a ton of heartache here!
-This has been one hell of an awesome learning experience! This thing is a northeastern truck that has been eaten up by Salt. Picked it up and have been slowly re-doing it all.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lessons learned fixing my front end and wandering problems