Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

todays petroleum lubricants better than ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 01:48 PM
slave2dafords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-29-2002, 08:07 PM
poopey
Senior User

Synth oil is too expensive,I think I`ll go with severely hydrocracked/hydroisomerized petroleum.Its almost as good and cheaper.The newest generation of petroleum lubricants are the best ever in terms of base stock purity and thermal stability.:-)

Old 12-29-2002, 11:32 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure what the two words you used to describe the new oil mean, but I do know that in my 2 stroke bike if I use Honda synthetic racing oil I can mix it at 32:1 and some other brands of synthetic oil can be mixed as lean as 50:1, whereas with regular oil it is supposed to be mixed at 20:1. My conclusion is that has to say something for synthetic oils. That said, I dont use synthetic oils in my cars, but maybe I should? By the way, is Mobile One synthetic?

Old 12-30-2002, 12:36 AM
poopey
Senior User

Yes Mobil 1 is synthetic but its been reformulated several times so I dont exactly know its composition.It is considered a pretty good product though and the price is reasonable compared to other synth brands.I`ve seen it at Walmart in a 5 qt.jug for 17.88

Old 12-30-2002, 03:25 AM
larrysb
Freshman User

Today's conventional oils are indeed better than ever. Castrol among many others are selling hydroprocessed group-III oils as "synthetic". In the truest sense of the word, they are not truly synthetic. However, they are indeed quality motor oils and most folks will have no trouble using them.

Mobil 1 and some others are indeed true group-IV synthetics, being made from PAO and other synthetic base stocks. PAO is a manufactured molecule. (Mobil 1 has been reformulated several times over the years, however this is mostly a matter of the additives package employed to meet various levels of API certification).

There are some advantages of true synthetics, they do have much better performance at temperature extremes and offer improved volatility figures for less "gunk" in your engine over the long haul.

Some users might benefit from the true synthetics, or have engines which require them. (like my Corvette's engine).